Nice or Cannes?

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 10:39 PM
bogey

Nice or Cannes?

Hi, I'm planning a one-week trip to the Cote d'Azur. I'll be spending time on the beach but also renting a car to visit the nearby towns from St. Tropez to Monaco. Where would it be most convenient to base myself ? I was thinking of Nice at first, but I'm worried that it might be too busy and hectic since I'm be there the third week of August. I wonder if Cannes would be any different? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 12:17 PM
lilipad

i'd say you're right, nice AND cannes will be hectic in late summer, you can't escape it - if you were bound by train travel, you'd stay in either (cannes has sandy beaches, while nice has the chaggal museum which is great BUT pebble beaches so i prefer cannes) HOwEVER since you will have the freedom of a car and if you want to get away from the beach seeking crowds, try some of the B&B/hotels out of town, there's pleanty, or go into the hills/mountains a bit and explore the countryside ... that's what cars are for
oh - here's a nice hotel in cannes:
In May my parents stayed at this little hotel right in old town Cannes, close to the beach - the only thing was that there was no elevator, but they carried their bags to their third floor room for them and you can see the water from the window, the prices for a double were about $60USD - here's their web site:

http://www.azurene-royal-hotel.com/