Reload this Page >

Nice London Hotel in interesting area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:18 AM
nina

Hi! My husband just found out he will be in London for 3 days and he's never been. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel in an interesting area, that would be close to sights and good restaurants? He will be in meetings all day so won't mind traveling to the office, it's more important that he be "in the middle of things" in the evening so he can squeeze in a few sights. Also any good restaurant recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:41 AM
bettyk

Well, I am booked into the Rubens-at-the-Palace Hotel on Buckingham Palace Road, right across from the Royal Mews. It is also a short walk to Victoria Station, Regent's Park, Westminster Abbey, and many other attraction. Check out lastminute.com or londontown.com for discounted rates. You can also check out their website at http://www.rubensredcarnationhotels....hotels.com/HEN.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:47 AM
nina

Thanks Betty. In addition to being well located he really wants a nice hotel. He will spend up to $ 400USD/night. Does Rubens fit the bill?

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:04 AM
bettyk

Yes, the Rubens is a 4* Hotel and is highly recommended by Fodor's as I have copied below. Their restaurants look pretty nice also.<BR><BR>This hotel likes to say it treats you like royalty - after all, you're only a stone's throw from the real thing, with Buckingham Palace just across the road. And if this is how Her Majesty lives, then we've all got reason to be jealous. This elegant hotel, looking out over the Royal Mews, provides the sort of deep comfort needed to soothe away a hard day's sightseeing, with armchairs just crying out for you to sink into them with a cup of Earl Grey. With decent-size, well-appointed rooms - not quite furnished like the ones at the palace, it must be said - and a location that could not be more truly central, this hotel remains a favorite for many travelers. www.redcarnationhotels.com. 180 rooms. Restaurant, bar. AE, DC, MC, V. Tube: Victoria.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Leslie

For the amount of money your husband is going to spend, check out Thistle's Royal Horseguards which is near Parliament on the Thames. It is the best hotel in Thistle's chain, and is rated a 4 star deluxe. My boss and his girlfriend stayed their in the early fall, and said the hotel and location were superb.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:12 AM
nina

Thanks so much for those great recommendations and information. Now if I can find a great airfare, I'll be able to join him!

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 08:58 AM
janis

nina: For that much money he could stay in any hotel in London. There are amazing bargains available now. $400 (about 280GBP) would get you into any of the grand hotels. You can stay at the Rubens or Horseguards (both are very nice but HorseGuards is "posher" and in a better location) for probably 80 to 100 GBP less than your husband's budget.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 09:13 AM
GGinSF

The Dukes Hotel in St James's place is a very nice boutique hotel that's in a central location.