Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Nice Hotel in Paris for first time visitors

Old May 12th, 1998, 05:45 PM
Matt

I know this is a common topic but my wife and I will be travelling to Europe for the first time this summer and have really enjoyed the discussions on this board. We are hoping to find a nice, clean hotel in Paris for about $75-100 per night. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all of the great info....

Old May 13th, 1998, 05:35 AM
Lee

Matt: Check out the Hotel Sully-Saint Germain, Ph: 01.43.26.56.02. We stayed there in January for $92.00 inc. breakfast. It's not large, but it's clean and friendly. It's located about two blocks from the Metro entrance "Maubert-Mutualite'" near the Sorbonne in the 5th Arrondissement (Latin Quarter). It's about eight blocks or so from Notre Dame. Good area. Have a good trip!

Old May 13th, 1998, 05:37 AM
Curt

Try the Grand Hotel Joan D'Arc if you can get a room. Cheap for Paris and in good location not far from Notre Dame. Also I have stayed in the Timhotel Bourse (a French chain)...it is on Rue D'La Banque. This one was nice, but I have heard other Timhotels are not as good. Both should be in guide books I think.

Old May 13th, 1998, 09:12 AM
Mike

Hi, three nice ones that I have stayed at are:
"Lutece" and "St Louis": both of these are on Isle St Louis, converted 17th century houses, same ownership, on a low traffic street. I also stayed at the "Notre Dame" on Quai de Montebello. It has rooms overlooking either Notre Dame or a garden. My parents and I rented the loft, ~1000 francs. It is on a busier street, but the noise wasn't too bad. All of these hotels are central, and reasonable walking distance to most sites and lots of restaurants. ANother hotel I saw, but have not stayed at is also called the "Notre Dame", but it is on a one way street "Maitre Albert", 5 minutes from the other Hotel ND, and 1/2 block from the seine. I have seen this one recommended....All of these offer breakfasts,usually for around 40 F, the St Louis has a brekfast room in a vaulted cellar, but you can easily find a bistro nearby. None have restaurants or pools, fairly narrow elevators.
Let me know if you need more info.....

Old May 13th, 1998, 04:48 PM
anne

Our favorite - romantic, charming, and quaint - is the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles on Rue du Cardinal Lemoine in the Latin Quarter. Great location, lovely cobbled courtyard - like a country home, but right near all the action! Doubles under $100. Phone 33-1-42-72-34-12.It

Old May 14th, 1998, 12:55 AM
anders westman

Ouch! The World Cup is going on this summer and it's going to be tough - be forewarned. Check out the hotels of the Relais du Silence chain. An association of small, family-owned hotels throughout France, with locations in Paris. You can order a guide from their US reps; HSA Voyages @ 800-927-4765. Very nice and reasonable.

Old May 25th, 1998, 08:12 PM
Matthew and Amy Dean

Anne,

Thanks for your response to my Fodors bulletin board question. I have been working on this trip for about three months, and have sent some faxes this week to try to finalize my plans. Thanks for the help.

Matt Dean

Old May 26th, 1998, 01:57 AM
Donna

Try the Pavillon de Bastille hotel. Quaint with decor in the blue and yellow, ask for breakfast included and you won't be disappointed. 1 block from metro Bastille. Small hotel,small cute rooms,hairdryers, and it has an ELEVATOR. You need to ask the elevator question when you are booking smaller hotels. You generally are the baggage handler, and if you get a loft, you drag the bags. I have stayed here 3 times and never disappointed. One other time I stayed at the Hotel Esmeralda, inches away from Notre Dame, huge loft window opened onto Notre Dame, gorgeously lit up at night. Got the idea from the Linnea books. BUT, we were 75 steps up the circular stairway and we dragged the bags. BUT, you won't have the bag problem if you are packing light. Best wishes! We were just in Paris 2 weeks ago, could not get any of the small hotels, and ended up at the Hotel Regina at approx $189 per night. Gorgeous room, overlooking Tuileries, with Eiffel in distance. Elevator, baggage service, just across the street from the Louvre and the address is Place de Pyramides. I highly recommend it, because it is close to everything, and they were wonderful to us. Don't forget to turn in your room key as you go out each day! Have a great time.

Old May 29th, 1998, 07:04 AM
Loretta

We stayed at the Hotel Champ de Mars...about $55 a night. Small but well decorated rooms (ours had a view of the tip of the Eiffel Tower) and modern private bath. It's in the Rue Cler area, which is a wonderful area of upscale food shops. A very helpful French family runs it...about 20 or so rooms.

Old May 29th, 1998, 09:13 PM
Frank

Please decide first where you want to be in Paris. Read Fodor's "Paris" and Steves' "France." Decide what neighborhood you want to be in. Paris is divided into arrondisments and the books describe each. There is nothing worse that the most perfect hotel in the wrong part of town. No one can recommend an hotel until we know where in paris you want it to be.

Old May 31st, 1998, 01:23 PM
Yvonne

My son and I stayed at the Hotel Ferrandi in the 6th arrondissement. We made our reservations through www.france.com. The hotel is convenient to the metro, on a not too busy street. The room was cozy with a beautiful armoire. The rate was 600 francs in late December. I'm sure you've read this in other postings, check out the various hotel sites for additional information. When I planned my trip I referred to this forum, four or five guide books, and numerous web sites. Hope you enjoy Paris as much as I.

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 11:17 AM
Ann

To Donna: Would you give me some more information about the hotel Regina. I am familiar with its location,etc. I would like some more information on the rooms. I want a very large room that has a great view of the Jardin des Tuileries. Can you recommend anything? What is the best floor to be on?

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 12:36 PM
Joan Kyin

Hello, my husband and I are planning a trip to Paris and Nice in October. I've done some research as to Paris hotels under 600ff and found hotel alize grenelle - 87 avenue emile zola - 75015 paris - has anyone ever stayed there? It's very close to the effiel towers and from its website it looks very modern. <BR>Merci <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 12:39 PM
Joan Kyin

Hotel Champ de Mars - Wow what a great price $55 for double? are the rooms decent sized with private bath/shower? <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 10:34 PM
Kevin

Mike, <BR> <BR>We are considering the hotels on Ile Saint Louis. <BR> <BR>Could you share more of your experience at the two hotels on this Ile that you have stayed at? Please comment on the service, views, rooms and bath quality and size etc. Any particular rooms at the hotels that are better? <BR> <BR>Merci!

Old Jul 17th, 1998, 04:00 AM
L. Zeev

To all that are seeking a great hotell in Paris . <BR>I can offer a geat place and a great location : <BR>The Residence St. germain , A small apartment <BR>hotel . I have there a Sleep 4 unit and it is available from Aug 15 till Aug 22nd 1998 and <BR>only for 700$ for 7 nights . <BR>Situated in the heart of the Latin quarter. <BR>email me. <BR>Thank you. <BR>