Nice-CT-Venice-Tuscany-Milan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are probably crazy to do this but want to see as much as possible in a 10 day period. We are flying into Nice and then driving to Northern Italy... priorities include seeing the Italian Riviera (CT/La Spezia), Tuscany, Venice and a stop in Milan for shopping. We are not booking hotel rooms ex. for arrival and departure night near Nice. We wanted to find quaint, nice affordable places to stay that have a local flavor. I would love any suggestions or feedback on how we can best make this trip. Is it feasible to go without hotel reservations? We are going for 10 days starting 9/16. Appreciate your help!!!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 09:16 AM

>>>We are not booking hotel rooms ex. for arrival and departure night near Nice. We wanted to find quaint, nice affordable places to stay that have a local flavor.<<<

These are usually the first hotels that people reserve - often 6 to 12 months in advance. You're going to get the dregs - which will most likely be the expensive, charmless, or bathroom-down-the-hall ones. You might find some B&Bs, but if you are one a tight schedule - I sure would not want to spend any time at all trying to seek out a hotel that might have vacencies. I would NEVER in a million years roll into Venice without a reservation, hoping to find something available.

Can't you do shopping at home instead of going to Milan to shop. There is only 1 Venice, only 1 CT, only 1 Tuscany, but we have plenty of Milan type shops where I live in San Francisco - perhaps they are near where you live too. Don't expect to find any bargains in Italy in the shops (with the possible exception of ceramics).

Does the 10 days include the day you arrive and the day you depart, or do you have 10 complete days available? Mid Sept is still quite busy in Italy.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 09:50 AM
ira

Hi C,

>We are probably crazy to do this ...<

Not crazy, just extremely naive.

Sept is still high season. It will be very difficult for you to find hotels if you start looking now. Hoping to arrive somewhere and find a place will mean a lot of vacation time taken up in looking.

Are you planning to rent a car in Franceand drop it off in Italy? If so, be prepared for a large drop-off charge.

I agree with Stu. Why go all the way to Milan to shop?

Hope this helps as a reality check.

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 09:54 AM

Dreams are wonderful, but you do need a reality check on this one.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:34 PM

Dear Crazy,

Yes, you are. I totally agree with Bob, Ira, and Stu on every point.

Get on the web and see what you can find NOW!

Buona fortuna!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 06:50 PM

Hi crazyabouttravel,

you may be thinking that these fellows are too conservative, don't know what they are talking about etc., but for your sake I sure hope you listen to what they are telling you.

They are all fine gentlemen and have a lot of knowledge regarding travelling in Italy. They to, from everything I have read that they have posted, love to be spontanious also, but they also know when to be realistic.

It is true, September has become a very popular month for travellers in Italy. Very popular!

Many decades ago my husband and I would arrive in Italy with just reservations for the first night. We just winged it regarding lodging and never had a problem.

But times have changed.

I have a friend who is head of the Tourist Agency for one of Italy's largest cities. She always makes reservations for me way before I arrive as in spite of her clout with all the hotels she has said if she didn't the last minute hotels would either be the too expensive ones or the terrible ones. If she can't obtain good and reasonably priced lodgings at the last minute you or I sure can't.

About Milan, if you want to see Milan because of the famous sites there, the Galleria, The Duomo, La Scala Opera House and so forth I would certainly visit Milan. Personally I love Milan. But if you are going just for the shopping, again the advice you have been given already is good advice. And if you are from the US, assume you are, you will find Milan shopping even more expensive than the Italians do, due to the weak US dollar compared to the Euro.

Do some research for this trip of yours but do get right on it because September 16th will be here before you know it. Figure out your itinerary, make your lodging reservations as soon as possible. Best wishes to you and do enjoy your time in beautiful Italy.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 07:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Comments so far have focused on the hotel reservation issue. I would say that I think you're trying to see too much in 10 days. Even if you're driving. Even if you're young and energetic. Even if.... you're crazy!

Since you're starting and ending in Nice, I'd drop either Venice or Cinque Terre and limit yourselves to two other stays of 3-4 days each. You'll lose at least a half day travelling between hotels.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 07:38 PM

I must say that your plan is quite ambitious considering that you have only 10 days....to be able to explore all these places and still have time to shop in Milan..
I am quite Impressed..
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 08:16 PM

If you're going into Milan I do not recommend driving yourself! Stay in a hotel near MXP and take a taxi! If you must stay in Milan I definitely would book a room now at Una Hotel Scandinavia, Expedia has great rates for it! Go see Venice for sure but if you're looking to stay in a nice, quiet, quaint little town go to Malcesine! It's located slightly farther north but between Venice & Milan on Lake Guarda. Book a room now at Hotel Val di Sogno, make dinner reservations at La Vecchia, and tell Sylvia & Michaela we said, "Hello!" Feel free to contact me for more advice! Best wishes! S. Hawkins
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Well, I'm glad I posted this question... I will get hotel rooms. Yes... I know I clearly need help- which is why I do appreciate your advice. This is my first trip and I want to see as much as possible but also have some time to relax. I might skip Milan now. Any other suggestions on where to stay are very welcome- or specific ways to make this itinerary work. What if I spend arrival night in Montecarlo, and then 2 nights in Lucca, 3 nights around Siena, 2 nights in Venice, and 1 night in Lago Guarda? Last night back in Nice. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:31 AM
ira

Hi C,

>What if I spend arrival night in Montecarlo [Monte Carlo?], and then 2 nights in Lucca, 3 nights around Siena, 2 nights in Venice, and 1 night in Lago Guarda? Last night back in Nice.<

A lot of driving, but much better.

Lucca is a very nice, pleasant, quiet town. Unless you are looking to just chill out, I think one night is sufficient.

I would add the night to Venice.

Have a nice trip.

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:44 AM

Crazy

I think your new itinerary would work if you dropped the Lake Garda stop. Head directly to Nice from Venice instead. I think you won't do much more than just "sniff" lake Garda and Nice if you try to squeeze both in on your final 2 days.

If this were my trip, I would skip Monte Carlo - too much concrete, noise, congestion, etc. I certainly would rathar spend that saved time in Venice instead.

Also, I would subtract 1 night in Lucca, and add 1 night in Venice.

If you feel like you can drive for 4-5 hrs the day you arrive, you might try to make it to Lucca then.

What day will you be in Lucca? Most things will be closed on Sunday & Monday morning. In Lucca, there is a large student population, and they like to do grafitti on the storefronts (at least they did when we were there 8 yrs ago). The store ownere therefore have these large corrigated aluminum shutters that they pull across their storefronts to seal them up. - not a pretty sight. If you will land there on a Sunday, perhaps hit the Tuscany countryside (not Siena) instead, and then visit Lucca after Venice.

Stu Dudley

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:54 AM

If you do go to the Cinque Terre be aware that La Spezia is not part of it. It is a normal work-a-day town. It is the southernmost "entrance town" to the 5 Cinque Terre villages - many people drop their car in La Spezia and ride the trains to and between the true Cinque Terre villages.
If you are approaching from the north, the "entrance town" where you catch the train is called Levanto.

Orientation of the 5 Cinque Terre towns, North to South:

Monterosso
Vernazza
Corniglia
Manarola
Riomaggiore
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 02:22 PM

I would spend the first night in Nice..Try to rest because the ride to Venice is a Long one..
I was in Venice this past june and the train ride from Venice to Nice was 8 hours..
I would skip Milan, spend less time to Lucca more time to CT, my favourite's little villages..
In Nice I stayed at the Comfort Roosevelt Hotel.. it has AC and the location is great..
Buon Viaggio and Good Luck..
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 02:24 PM

oops: spend less time IN Lucca...
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 03:17 PM

It is always difficult to know what to do on a first trip and you need to decide what you want most. Nice is a lovely city, but quite large and busy, you may find staying in Menton a more pleasant alternative. The Motorway route along the coast is a spectacular but a hard drive as there are lots of steep gradients and tunnels. Also if you hit Genoa at the wrong time it can take forever to get round.
I am surprised that you have not included Florence on your itinerary, but if you are aiming for Venice then it is probably not practical in 10 days unless you just do 3 centres - Italian Riviera, Florence and Venice.
The Cinque Terre - By car it is a nightmare - narrow steep roads and limited parking. Much better to do it by boat.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

I've been going through a map and looking at options and based on all of this advice, we've come up w/ the following. Jenny, you had said something about Cinque Terre by boat. How is that done?

We will fly into Nice and drive straight to CT and try to find a hotel for 2 nights- any thoughts? And then drive to the Florence area and stay there for 4 nts and then to Venice for 3 nights and then 1 night somewhere between Venice and Nice (ie: Verona, or Lago Guarda or Milan) and then to Nice or Menton for our last night. Any hotel recommendations or thoughts are greatly welcome. Thank you for helping us straighten this out. We are SO looking forward to it!!!
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 07:12 AM
ira

Hi C,

Good itinerary.

>Any hotel recommendations ...?

What's your budget?

Old Jul 30th, 2005, 07:20 AM

I would immediately get hotel reservations secured in Venice and CT. For Venice, you could use Venere or the Worldby sites that will give you a list of places that are still available on your dates. Remember to look for apartments and B&Bs too to widen your choices.

For CT, since you have a car, you either need to start in Monterosso or Riomaggiore or La Spezia as above. Getting a room is urgent - try monterossonet.com for some ideas. Or stay in Levanto and take the train.
Italyby has a few accomodations in CT for a source.

Then get Florence hotels. Florenceby is a good website or expedia - check trip advisor for recommendations.

At this point, you may not be able to get the favorite places that people are recommending so you probably need to cast the widest net you can and secure something fast.

I am glad you dropped Milan and Monte Carlo - other choices are much nicer and you will enjoy them. Have fun and keep the board posted on where you end up.

Old Jul 30th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Hi,
If you want to spend a night in the CT you should check out Elisabetta Carro in Vernazza. We spent two nights there and although this is not luxury, it is very clean and some of the rooms have great views. She has a website, elisabettacarro.it. However considering your schedule you will probably not take time to overnight here and if you are just seeing the towns go by either boat or train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -