Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:38 PM
lol
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice, a couple of specific questions??

hi
few more questions about Nice
1-do we need A/C in July in Nice, what's the weather like, humidity??
2- is a hotel overlooking the sea a good idea or is it far away from the city centre. if so what is the best place to stay.
thanks a lot
Old May 22nd, 2003, 02:41 PM

Yes you need A/C. Yes a sea view room is a good idea. It may not be right in the center of town but still convenient. The West End Hotel is mentioned as a good moderate price with sea views. A little bit better is the Westminster. Do a search for Nice AND hotels here. You'll get lots of suggsetions.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:14 PM

Yes! You MUST have AC in July. Daytime temps can reach into the 90's.
I always recommend the place we stay, The Westminster, which is on the Promenade des Anglais, just across from the sea. It is in the heart of Nice, only about 15 minutes walking from Vielle Nice or Old Nice ( historic area with lots of inexpensive bistros, great pizza, boutiques, flower market, wonderful narrow streets, etc.) Do a search here and find the 800 number if you're interested in the hotel. It seems you can nab a much better rate that way. And when you reserve, make sure to ask for a seaview room , which are typically quite spacious, and come with their own balcony overlooking the street and the sea.

Have a good time!
Old May 23rd, 2003, 05:24 AM
lol
Original Poster

thank you very much mclaurie and weadles.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 05:58 AM

Hi Lol, just returned from Nice last night(still jet lagged) and must agree with mc and weadles about the AC! First 3 days May 9-12 we needed the air big time.....and the managemnt had not cranked up their systm the first night....after a few residents complained(including us) they had the AC up and running. It was a very good AC system for European hotels. The West End is in a Fab location about 100ft from beach and Hotel Negresco. They are in the process of redoing rooms(not major, just tweeking and streamlining them). The effect is quite nice. The public areas have marvelous furniture and their breakfast was very good! We did not have a see view, but peekked into some see view rooms, they were very nice and had sea views, but they also paid about 80euros more a night,,,,,we were fine with our Musee Massena's park view. Also keep in mind. that there is a major road right before the Promenade and it can get quite noisy if the room windows are open. I absolutely adored Nice and it now one of my very favorite cities! Let me know if you need more info. I am not an expert, but just a lover of Nice, and I will return! Judy
Old May 23rd, 2003, 09:06 AM

Just so you know, The Westminster ( and I assume probably other hotels on the Promenade) has soundproofed windows. Noise has never been an issue in all the times we've stayed there, and we've been a lot.
If you need any more help, just post again.
Hope you have a wonderful time.