Search

Niaux caves

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 05:07 AM
NeverBen

Niaux caves

Are the prehistoric drawings in the caves at Niaux, France worth a day diverted from our itinerary in Spain? Can anyone suggest the best way to get there from Barcelona and where to stay?

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 05:27 AM
Carol

My art history professor friend says that the Niaux caves are the best of them all! Sorry I can't give you any specific traveling and accommodation info. <BR>

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 08:49 AM
Monica Richards

You might want to check and see if the Niaux caves are still open to the public. When we toured the Pileta caves in Spain the guide said that the caves in France and the better known cave in Spain had been closed because the visitors were destroying the paintings (temperature and humidity changes due to people). He could have been wrong, but you might want to check.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 08:58 AM
Carol

Good point, Monica. As far as I know, the guide was probably referring to the original Lascaux caves which are indeed closed to the public--but the Niaux caves are not nearly as well known and, for this very reason, are in almost pristine condition. But I agree with you--"NeverBen" should definitely check in advance anyway.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 10:04 AM
NeverBen

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll give them a call and let you know if they are indeed open.