Reload this Page >

News for London Theatregoers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Patrick

The Mayor of London has just announced a special for London theatres -- much like last year's. Special priced tickets to many shows. See www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk for more information.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 02:39 PM
gg

Patrick,<BR>Thanks. I just bought tickets for my son and me for Les Miserables and Blood Brothers for a total of $82.The tickets usually sell for $60 each.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Patrick

Great. I always hear about these deals in the middle of winter, but I only go in May or June. Glad someone can get something out of this.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 04:33 PM
ggrant

Thank you so much for the information. I booked Bombay Dreams and My Fair Lady.<BR>So much more convenient that trying for the half price booth which I planned to do. A great deal! Thanks again.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Karen

Topping- thanks for the great info. Patrick!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 12:01 PM
kelly

ttt for this great deal! I would hate for it to be missed.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:38 PM
cathy

is there a way obtaining tickets and viewing the seats that one is buying? That would be great! thanks for any info.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:52 PM
Susan

I looked at the website and I'm curious as to what seats these tickets are for. It looks like there's just one price for each partipating show. Does anybody understand how this works?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Mel

Susan: I had a little trouble finding the Mayor of London deals myself, until I looked at the box on the right side of the home page (we're used to ignoring that part because it's usually advertising banners, right?). It's a large black box and notes the special. Click on it and it will give you a list of shows. Unfortunately, Mamma Mia isn't one of them, but Les Miz is--another favorite of mine. Offering 20GBP for dress stall--excellent! I couldn't, however, find where you get to choose your seat. Perhaps you don't.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:08 PM
gg

I tried calling the telephone number listed. I hung up after being put on hold for several minutes. Finally I just took my chances and ordered on their web site. The seats were automatically assigned. Stall H8 &amp;9 for one show and dress circle G29 &amp; 30 for the other. Considering what I paid I am pleased.<BR>Thanks again Patrick. If you come across any other great deals let us know.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 01:22 PM
amanda

Question - is this offer for people living in Great Britain only?<BR><BR>I tried to order some tickets, but got to the point where they ask for a post code, and the message said tickets can only be ordered for post codes in Great Britain. Am I out of luck?

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 01:58 PM
Ben Haines

Mr Livingstone intends this offer especially for Americans. I think you could enter the post code of your intended hotel.<BR><BR>Ben Haines

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 03:02 PM
theatre

I would like to order tickets but I won't have a hotel until I arrive. How will I get them? Does anyone know? Will they be held at the box office?

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 05:13 PM
ann

The tickets for most shows seem to be about 20 pounds. The regular price for most shows seems to be about 40 pounds. So if you can get half price tickets on the day of the show for most shows, is there really an advantage to this promotion? I know the really popular shows like momma mia don't have half price tickets available but what about shows like Chicago, My Fair Lady, Phantom of the Opera or Fame. Those are all shows I'd like to see and if I could be fairly sure I could get half price tickets to one of them on the day of the show I would rather wait and get them there. Does this sound reasonable or should I jump at this chance now? Thanks

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 05:54 PM
xxx

The main advantage I see in getting them now is that you don't have to schedule your activities in London around getting to Leicester Square in the daytime to get tickets. There are many better things to do with your daytime than to go there and stand in line -- even for a short time.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 06:52 PM
Ben Haines

For Amanda,<BR><BR>Please can you tell me which play or show you are booking for ?<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 06:56 PM
Mrs Wilde

I purchased tickets yesterday and there is an option of the theatre holding the tickets. So even though it asks for your post code don't be concerned - that is if you're comfortable having them hold your tickets. I've done this several times with no problem.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:54 AM
xxx

I got good stalls tickets D7 &amp; 8 and W16 and 17 for My Fair lady and Bombay Dreams. Very happy with the savings. Will pick up tickets at box prior to show. I though booking a breeze. I looked up my seats on the www.albemarle-london.com site.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:00 AM
r

by the way it is &quot;The Lord Mayor Of London&quot;....get it right folks

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:24 AM
PatrickW

No it isn't, r. The Lord Mayor is the ceremonial head of the (mediaeval) City (i.e., nowadays just the central business district and the corporations that run it): he has lots of dinners, glad-handing and charity fundraising for a year at a time.<BR><BR>The Mayor of London is an executive mayor supposedly responsible for various strategic operations across the whole of the metropolitan area: a new invention in UK local government. And since he's been in dispute with the Government about the terms on which responsibility for the Tube should be transferred to him, he's basically responsible only for other aspects of transport, part responsibility for the police and otherwise trying to get various public and private organisations to work together in the (much more numerous and wide-ranging) areas he doesn't directly run. Hence the prevalence of eye-catching, but not exactly earth-shattering, schemes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -