Search

Newcastle

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newcastle

I am planning a trip to Newcastle on business the week of June 19. I will only have one day free for sightseeing. Any suggestions? Also, my 8 year old daughter is mad about dolls and what an "England doll". What would be a doll that would be typically english that I could find there?
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

To clarify my earlier post... My daughter WANTS an "England doll".
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 12:22 PM

Not much in Newcastle area - consider hopping the train to Edinburgh less than two hours each way and one of the most scenic railways in the UK - goes along the coast much of the way.
Edinburgh one of finest cities in Europe - waverly train station in heart of town, right near fabled Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Mile. Can see enough in a day to whet your appetite for a return. check rail fares at: www.nationalrail.co.uk - online advance purchase fares can save tons of money over walkup fares. Am sure folks will come up with something closer to Newcastle - such as Hadrian's Wall but Edinburgh is something really special.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 12:27 PM

Oh well Hadrian's Wall is a bit closer but not that much by time than Edinburl - but you can take a train from Newcastle to Hexham, then take the Hadrian's Wall bus to visit some of the best places of Hadrian's Wall - some of the excavated old forts and intact bits of the wall that Emperor Hadrian had built to keep the Celtic Scotts at bay (this last part i'm not completely sure of why he built it but that's my understanding) - anyway wonderful rural scenery and hexham is a neat little old country town.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 01:19 PM

<< Not much in Newcastle area >>

Aside from 2 World Heritage Sites within 20 minutes travel?

Obvious thing to do is to go to Durham for the cathedral and pop to Beamish Open Air Museum to see "how we used to live".

You could catch a concert at The Sage, see the best Millennium bridge in the UK and see how little the locals wear at night with a visit to The Bigg Market or The Quayside
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 01:19 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Edinburgh for just a day is a bit hectic. I'd hop a train to Durham - best cathedral in Europe (IMO) - nice castle, great old town (you'll find something for your daughter there for sure.) Takes under 20 min. on the train.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 01:38 PM

Could also mention Washington Old Hall, apparently the ancestors of someone famous in the US came from there
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 01:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree re Durham for sure. Edinburgh really doesn't make as much sense. The Beamish is VERY interesting if you have the time for it.

If it were me - I'd rent a car for a day and tour all of hadrian's wall, but in your specific situation Durham probably works better.

As for a doll - there will be lots of souvenir dolls - esp3ecially in Durham since there are more tourists there than in Newcastle. If you want to "cheat" a bit you could get a Scottish costumed doll. Tartan dress/tam etc. But there will be lots of other costumed dolls to pick from.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 02:16 AM

Bambergh Head; the Farne Islands; Alnwick; Seahouses; Hexham Abbey; Lindisfarne; Keilder Forest.

You'll get a doll for sure. But I'd just have a look when you get there.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 03:00 AM

There is a small dolls house shop on the Quayside which if I remember right sells bigger dolls. I'm afaid I have to disagree with PalQ, I love Edinburgh but there's a great deal to see in and around Newcastle/Gateshead

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf...&ID=100009

Just one example... The Bridges on the TYne, The Baltic Mill and Sage.