New Years: Seville or Lisbon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting closer to finalizing our itinerary. We will be flying out of Lisbon on Jan 2nd, 2017. Tickets are booked. Prior to this we will be spending either 5 or 6 nights in Seville Spain.
Has anyone spent New years eve in either of these places? last year we were in Rome and loved hanging out on the bridges with the locals drinking wine and dodging sparklers. We didn't go to the big celebration down the road because we didn't want to be stuck in huge crowds!. But we still want to have fun.
So we could stay the night in Seville on the 31st and head to Lisbon for only 1/2 day on the 1st and flight out on the 2nd at 1120 am. Or should we spend it in Lisbon and be able to at least ride a funicular and eat some Percebes.
Thanks!
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 02:51 PM

There are concerts and fireworks in Lisbon and Sevilla on NYE. The difference is you get to eat your 12 grapes at midnight in Sevilla as part of the NYE tradition.

No matter which one you choose, you need to consider making dinner reservations for NYE as early as possible. New Year's Day will be fairly quite in both Sevilla and Lisbon, meaning most restaurants will be closed.
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks @Robert2016. We might just eat the grapes regardless!
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 03:59 AM

In Portugal, it's 12 raisins.
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 04:46 AM

We spent 2010/2011 NYE in Lisbon and had a great time. The weather was mild, the fireworks were lovely and the atmosphere was great.

You can check out our pics here:

https://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

@jamikins WOW! your pictures are amazing! Do you have a trip report anywhere because I want to know where all those places are! The castle looking one at the beginning of the album...where is it? The aquaduct... the walkway towards the end. All amazing. I think you've made us decide to get there on the 30th so we have time to explore!

@luz_de_lisboa I like raisons!

@PauloMartins thanks for the locations to spend NYE, we did want to go to Porto but we only have 2 nights in Portugal Do you think we should stick to Lisbon?
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 11:18 PM

Hi rivermama

Thank you for your kind words! We didn't do trip reports back then unfortunately.

The castle at the beginning, in fact the first pics to the end of the foggy pics (the building we went to 'see' was Pena Palace in the fog), are all in Sintra - just outside of Lisbon. You can do it as a day trip but we spent 2 nights there. It is a really lovely town.

The aqueduct is just outside of Tomar.

I am not sure which walkway you are referring to though.

We spent 2 nights in Sintra, 5 nights in Lisbon, 5 nights in Tomar and 1 night in Marvao and 1 night in Evora.

With only two nights in Portugal, and if you are flying out of Lisbon, then definitely spend them in lovely Lisbon!
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

We are thinking of adding a night so we can make a day trip to Sintra, it looks so beautiful!
Thanks to both of you.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 03:19 AM

I would hope you would celebrate in Lisbon - not because it is NYE, but because I am sure it deserves more than half a day. Also,'stuff' happens. You want to be sure to get to the airport in time and being in a different country and on the road over a season with lots of closures, I would prefer to give myself a little more time.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 05:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Lisbon is a wonderful city. Go there, and stay at the Hotel Avenida Palace. It's historic, elegant, and located right at the center of things.

It's a bit more expensive, but worth every penny. The amazing breakfast buffet makes up for the extra cost. It's extensive, served in a beautiful dining room.

We arrived at 10 a.m., from the States, and our room was ready! Best news ever.

http://www.hotelavenidapalace.pt/hotel-overviewhtml

Contact them directly, for the best rate and service.