New Year's in Rome

Search

New Year's in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Year's in Rome

Anyone have an suggestions as to how to celebrate New Year's in Rome with 4 young adult children? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:44 AM

In Rome at new Year's there are many events in the public squares. The most important one takes place in Piazza del Popolo, where thousands of people gather to listen to a pop-rock music concert there and then they wait for the new years. I have never done that becase I dont particularly like mobs but some friends of mine did that and they enjoyed that. But beware: when midnight comes lots of people lit firecrackers so if you are scared by finding one of that between your feet, avoid that or stay away. In some parts of Rome people also toss things out of the windows (symbolic act of saying good bye to the old year and welcoming the new one: let's throw away something old: ceramic plates etc... ).
In lots of restaurants there are the so called VEGLIONE DI CAPODANNO, usually a dinner with music. They can be pretty expensive (about 80euros per person if not more) and if you dont know the place your young children can get bored because the music can be outdates. I would hang around the city centre because they might organize beautiful fireworks near the Forum or other piazzas. Or better ask your concierge for updated info on a god dinner in a restaurant.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:59 AM

We celebrated 1999 in Piazza del Popolo. Quite an unforgettable experience. I think your young adult children will love it. People had food and champaigne, it was truly a celebration (very loud though)! I remember going back to our hotel around 3 AM - streets were covered with bottles and glass. Next morning everything was cleaned.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 08:12 AM

I believe the Piazza del Popolo event was moved last year, or the year before. This may require further investigation.

Last New Year's, the streets were filled with drunken British boys - cute but completely plastered. Loud and obnoxious, too. I was a bit surprised and turned off. The street scene is too chaotic for me. I love hanging with young people but I'll pass on New Year's in the streets of Italy. Give me a decadent dinner party anyday.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great information!
I have tried website after website looking for events/things to do on New Year's Eve and you've given me the best information I could find.

Now...any recommendations for a restaurant for dinner? I've tried De Meo Patacca, in Trastavere, several times (emails and fax) and have not received a response from them. This sounds like a fun, casual place for dinner and then I thought we could just walk back to "party central" (sounds like Piazza del Popolo might be it...if the celebration is still being held there).

I've also contacted the Italy Tourist Board and am awaiting a reply from them.
I'll post any recommendations they can offer.

Thanks again!

Valarie
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 05:35 PM

Hi Fadoinka, You could also try this website http://www.romaturismo.com/v2/en/main.asp they have a calendar showing different events and exhibits, and an email address which might help.