New Years in Paris

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 07:34 AM
Laura

New Years in Paris

I can't believe that none of you veteran travelers out there have any ideas on where to be in Paris on New Years Eve. I have posted the question twice, and have noticed someone else has also. No responses to any of them. Obviously, we are party challenged and in need of some assistance. Even stories of past wandered into situations and such. Come on, a little help!!

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 08:06 AM
elvirA

You're probably getting no response because several others have posted the same question over the last month. If you do a search on this forum, you should find many, many responses to previous posters.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 12:00 AM
Danielle

Hi Laura
I will also be in Paris for New Years. I have put up a posting as well, but have only had a few responses. There are a few other postings but most seem to be negitive ones. Has nobody out there had a good time in Paris for New Years? My friend and I were under the impression that Paris was the place to be for NY's. I enjoy large crowds, so I think that we will be either at the Champs Elyees or the area around the Effiel Tower. What kind of night are you looking for a quiet one, or a noisy one?

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 01:26 PM
Monica

Hi Laura and Danielle,

One suggestion is to locate the other fodorites that will be in Paris on New Years eve/day and have a get together. I know that Tammy is also going to be there and I believe she posted here on Fodors!

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 03:46 PM
Lauren

I'll be in Paris for New Year's also, although I'll be all alone!! EEK! How scary!! LOL Though, technically, there will probably be millions around me! There's a Fodorite get-together? Hmmm...I will have to search for that. Good luck!

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 03:58 PM
Tammy

No need to search Lauren! Yes, I will be in Paris. I am meeting a friend of mine who is temporarily living over there for a couple of months. A get together sounds like a lot of fun! I'll be arriving on Dec 28 and leaving Jan 3.

Anyone else interested on meeting up in Paris!?

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 04:49 PM
Adam

Tammy and Lauren,

My friend and I are also going to Paris for New Year's. We were thinking about doing the Eiffel Tower/Champs Elysees thing and then going to a club. Send me an e-mail if you're interested in partying with fellow Fodorites.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 06:23 PM
Monica

Oh, now I want to join all of you!!! Post here when you return and let us other fodorites know how you all enjoyed Paris during New Years! Have a great time and enjoy each others company.

PS: I'm having a get together on the 10th of December in Bethesda if anyone is interested.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 08:28 PM
Danielle

I think that getting together for New Years in Paris would be a great idea. Like I said on my last posting I would like to wander around the Champs Elyees, and then maybe go to a club or somthing, so if others a interested that would great.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 06:59 AM
Tracy

Hi Laura,

Both Place de la Bastille and the Champs Elysees are hopping on NYE. We'll be down in the Bastille in the early evening, will try to take a bus up the rue de Rivoli about 10pm-ish, then revel with the great unwashed as close to the Arc de Triomphe as we can get!

BTW we'll each be carrying 2 bottles of champagne each for quaffing en route. The French don't have 'open container' nonsense laws. It's customary to smash the bottles on the cobbles once empty. Wear heavy, thick-soled shoes or boots!

And have fun!

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 07:33 AM
Laura

Tammy, Lauren, Adam, et al
we, too, had planned an Eiffel Tower/ Champs Elysees sort of thing. Don't know anything about the Bastille. Love the idea of carrying a bit of bubbly for the ride. I am a Fodor novice, just checked the site for the first time a week ago but am quite interested in a possible hook up with other fellow travelers. If someone has a plan, we'd love to be included.

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 01:58 PM
Tammy

I wanted to bring this to the top. When and where should we meet? Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

Tammy

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 07:21 PM
Lauren

I'm game for anything, as I will be by myself. I cannot wait to ring in the milennium with the Eiffle Tower in front of me. How awesome is that?? I've never been to Europe and will be looking forward to Paris, in particular! Send an email my way when a gathering place is decided!!

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 12:37 PM
Laura

Tammy & Lauren,
A plan sounds good, but have no idea how to proceed from here. I was hoping someone who had firmer plans than ours would step up to the plate. Possibly tell us where they were going to be at a certain time (maybe even a couple choices of times and locations, in case we miss/or get missed). I am assuming from Tracy's email address that she lives in France, possibly she has some suggestions. Adam also sounded like he had a plan. I have been to Paris twice, but would definitely be hard pressed to come up with an exact location to meet. I'd like to defer to someone else to make a plan.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 03:16 PM
Tammy

Maybe we can meet at a cafe a day or two before New Years Eve or early the day of to meet and firm up the plan. I have been to Paris a couple of times, but I too am coming up short on a place to meet. Monica, if you're reading, you've had a couple of fodorite get-togethers in Paris, do you have a suggestion on where would be a good place to meet?

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 07:43 PM
Donna

I won't be there myself, but I'd suggest Chez Francis as a good meeting spot. It's on the corner of George V and Montaigne direcly across from the Place de l'Alma metro station and across from the Princess Diana "memorial" SOL flame (just mentioning this as a landmark). It's also conveniently located equi-distant from the Tour Eiffel and Champs Elysees. If you can get reservations, the food is okay and not expensive. Awesome views of the Tour Eiffel from one dining room and a positively gorgeous dining room is on the other side. There's also a small bar and a huge terrace (although it's doubtful the tables and chairs will be set outdoors this time of year).

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 08:03 AM
Laura

I think that Cafe Francis sounds fine, especially since no one else has any suggestions (including me). I would rather keep this loose and simple. I am traveling with two friends and don't want to start making plans to meet to make more plans.
It sounded for awhile like this was taking on a life of it's own, and I was quite content to let a plan unfold and show up if things worked out that way. I don't think I want to be at the helm, however. I am trying to be mindful of my pals and not over-obligate them. Sorry to be wishy-washy.

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 08:19 AM
Tammy

Same here. I just threw out a suggestion since no one else did. I will also be with friends and I have not had a chance to discuss it with them.

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 08:50 AM
Barbara

Laura, Tammy, Adam, et al - We too had planned on Eiffel Tower \Champs Elysees. This is my first time in Paris and we would like to meet with all of you and party for NYEves. I like Donna's idea of meeting at the Chez Francis is a great start. Why don't we all meet on Friday the 29th or Saturday the 30th for lunch at 1pm? Once we know how many are able to attend. We can make reservations,enjoy lunch and go from there. How does this sound?

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 10:51 AM
Lauren

Barbara...I vote for the 30th. That's when I will arrive in Paris. However, if that's not convienent, I would still like to meet up eventually with everyone. We'll plan the "unplanned" Fodorite get-together, one way or another !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -