New Year's Eve pub-hopping in London...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there such a thing as "pub-hoping" on New Year's Eve in London? I mean can you just pop in without a reservation for drinks and food or is this something we need to pre-plan?

Also, I have been told by my sons that we are seeing the fireworks along the Thames. I imagine this event is similar to the ball drop in NYC's Times Square -- any advice on how to proceed, other than avoiding the area at all costs?

Thanks.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 10:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
In my experience, most decent pubs are ticket-only for NYE.

Also the areas along the river will be totally slammed w/ massive crowds and really, REALLY crowded transit.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 07:34 AM

You definitely need to pre-plan. I was in London for NYE once and it was impossible to just "pop in" anywhere. We were scrambling just to find dinner.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 07:45 AM

No, you don't do a pub crawl on NYE.
Pub-hoping, maybe, if you mean "hoping to get into a pub" (esp gastropubs) without booking.

As for the fireworks, stay away from the area nearby. Anyway, you can't really SEE fireworks so close to the river. The best view (aside from on telly) is from somewhere high up with a good view, such as Primrose Hill. Possibly Greenwich/Blackheath though that's not my neighbourhood?
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 07:59 AM

From Greenwich Observatory you would get a good view across central London, but the fireworks will be very distant, and you'd have to use your imagination to get the full effect. Quite honestly, the best view (judging by last year, and assuming it's going to be similar) is either to suffer the crowds and get to the South Bank, or watch on telly (though from the way you put it, that doesn't sound like an option).

I think you would need to start making local enquiries and plans the minute you arrive in London (since we don't yet know exactly what's planned). Where would you be staying?
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 08:25 AM

We'll be in London on NYE too - I know London quite well, but I have never done the NYE thing there.

We'll be at the theatre on Shaftesbury Ave until 10:30 or so. Then, my idea was to make our way to either Lambeth or Vauxhall Bridge and watch the fireworks from there. Would these be good locations?

Thanks.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 10:50 AM

My wife and I must have gotten lucky a couple of years ago on New Year's Eve in London as we went pub-hopping in the Victoria area with no problem. We even got into The Albert on Victoria St. ( fancyapint.com/pubs/pub1275.html ) and had some food. But mostly we were in pubs around Horseferry Road (I remember enjoying the Barley Mow...)so they were a bit off the main paths.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Actually, it is my S&BIL, who live in England, that mentioned pub-hopping (I'm hoping to rest before our early morning New Years Day flight back to the states, lol). Not even my kids mentioned the pub-hopping, only the fire works. So I think S&BIL see this as an opportunity to do something they usually don't do!

We will be staying in Chelsea, but will have an Oyster pass.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 11:57 PM

Most pubs in London operate a tickey only policy on NYE - and crawling between them is pretty difficult (and impossible in Central London).

Is there not a bar in your hotel?
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 12:20 AM

I went 2 years ago NYE and it was difficuly. We went to Trafalger Sq after sqeezing into a pub for an hour before and to be honest it was insance and I tot a bit freaked by the crowds...it was a bit rough where we stood. I would book tickets for a pub or dinner all night in a restaurant wih music etc. I was considering going again this year but would plan better this trip!