New Year's Eve in Paris 2014

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2014, 12:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've had a wonderful two weeks here eating and shopping and sightseeing. However the new year celebration at the Eiffel Tower was quite a letdown. Thousands gathered to watch nothing. At midnight the tower sparkled....just as it does every night every hour on the hour. No music. No countdown. Nothing. Nada. We've been renting an apartment just around the corner and had just walked over. But the bus loads of people must have really been disappointed. Come to Paris for nearly every thing...except this.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 01:09 AM

That's too bad. Paris doesnt have fireworks like many cities do. People just go to the Eiffel Tower area to hang out on NYE I believe. I guess you didnt realise that.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 01:09 AM

Yes and travel writers keep writing about NYE in Paris. In fact Fodors lists Paris as a top NYE destination referring to light shows and fireworks when there is no official NYE fireworks show in Paris. Anyone expecting a London like show is in for a big disappointed.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

I did know there were no fireworks anymore...in spite of websites implying there are with old photos. But the French are good at spectacles...surely they could do something.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 05:25 AM

I think they just raised the income tax on rich people to 75%, so the kind of person who donates the funds for fireworks shows may be feeling a little bit like they are paying enough for other people already.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 07:15 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I knew what spending NYE was like in Paris. I thought there would be something more than a crowd but nope. We read the Champs Élysées was the place to be but nothing going on there except a huge crowd. This was going back a good number of years ago but after 2000. People can't believe when I say go someplace else if expecting fireworks or something. I love Paris for any other time.