Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

New Year’s Day London - which museums are usually open?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2021, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We’re looking into (with fingers crossed) a December 28, 2021 - January 3, 2022 trip to London. I’d read that the Victoria and Albert Museum is usually open on NY Day, but cannot see any projected dates online. Is it true that the VandA is usually open that day? And does anyone know of other museums as well? If not, perhaps we can catch a London Walks tour. Just wondering if you have any info.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old May 7th, 2021, 08:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not sure which all are open But I know for certain (in 'normal' years) the V&A and both Tate's are open because I've visited all three on different trips. I'm sure the British is open (AFAIK it only closes Dec 24,25, 26) My guess is that most if not all the biggies are open NYD. But wait til later this summer when they will have updated their websites to be sure.
Old May 8th, 2021, 07:26 AM

Many of the London museums you can subscribe to an email newsletter through their websites. That will give you any special information about exhibits, schedules, etc. Many museums around the world are re-opening after Covid with only timed entry tickets. I don't know about London at all but with the newsletter you might get the best information.
Old May 8th, 2021, 07:29 AM

Completely off topic but if you are in London that time of year a uniquely English holiday phenomenon is panto. Here is a link to a good explanation. https://www.tripsavvy.com/what-is-pa...-panto-1661664 Great fun!
Old May 8th, 2021, 07:56 AM

Big ditto to a panto.

There is a huge parade New Year's Day that draws hundreds of thousands to the center from early AM til late afternoon. The route covers the general Green Park/Piccadilly/Trafalgar Sq/Whitehall area but impacts lots of surrounding streets. The parade itself runs from noon til about 3PM. If I didn't want to view the parade I I'd try to go someplace far from the route as possible. Crowds will start dispersing from the Piccadilly/Ritz/Green Park (starting point) first so I might expect the v&A to be pretty crowded in the mid to late afternoon. (this is assuming things are back to 'normal' next winter and the parade returns) . . .
Old May 8th, 2021, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful news that some of the museums will be open! I’ll look closer to the time, as you suggest. We went to London a few years ago in January, and saw several shows - but not panto! I have heard of it but did not fully understand what it is, so thanks for the link!
Old May 8th, 2021, 10:29 AM

we were posting at the same time so you may not have seen my last post. IF the parade returns as in prior years there will be between 600,000 and close to a million people out on the streets and with the tube running with reduced services getting around could be a hassle. I'd plan on hitting the V&A in the morning while most visitors will be getting to the parade route area.
Old May 8th, 2021, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Oh wow, thanks for the info about the parade. We will be probably be staying in Belgravia or Kensington, not sure yet - but that info is golden!