NEW TV SERIES- hamlet/village inquiry

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2021, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice. I am a TV researcher in the UK, currently working on a new series for Channel 4. The show will follow people who have bought entire hamlets and villages in Europe. I was wondering, does anyone know of any areas which may be good to look into? Or maybe you might know of someone who has taken on projects such as these- I've found a lot of people restoring old hamlets or complexes to turn into B&Bs and gite businesses. I'd appreciate any help you can offer! I'm predominantly looking in Spain, Portugal, France and Italy. Let me know if you have any questions, looking forward to reading the responses. All the best.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 11:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm confused, you say you've found lots of these hamlets but you want us to tell you about them....

Can you name the ones you know?
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 10:26 AM

I would check on the expat groups on Facebook, people may know more. The Occitanie and the Dordogne could be areas to look.
Old Jan 31st, 2021, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think this fits into your vision, but.....we stumbled onto a small village about 8 years ago, near Taize (sp?), north of Lyon, which was on a bluff looking west over a valley. They were in the process of restoring the town, and the town church. The latter had an ancient mural that seemed had never been touched up. When I say the town was old, I mean REALLY old. We never saw any other town in France on our 6 trips that looked SO ancient.. Sorry I don't remember the name
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 12:10 AM

Some resort companies, such as Hapimag, have bought whole hamlets to be used as a resort compound. Check out some of Hapimag's resorts in Italy.
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 12:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi there, yes we have already been in touch with a few people across Europe, but always looking to find more as the show will feature different stories each week. I have spoken to a couple of families in Aveyron, France who bought entire Hamlets. I've also spoken to a gentleman in the Malaga region who bought an entire village and some people in the Italian regions of Abruzzo and Umbria who have taken on projects such as Borgos- so it can be done! If you know of anything else, please do let me know. I am sure there are lots of undiscovered stories out there of people taking on these projects.
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 12:49 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
I'm confused, you say you've found lots of these hamlets but you want us to tell you about them....

Can you name the ones you know?
Hi there, yes we have already been in touch with a few people across Europe, but always looking to find more as the show will feature different stories each week. I have spoken to a couple of families in Aveyron, France who bought entire Hamlets. I've also spoken to a gentleman in the Malaga region who bought an entire village and some people in the Italian regions of Abruzzo and Umbria who have taken on projects such as Borgos- so it can be done! If you know of anything else, please do let me know. I am sure there are lots of undiscovered stories out there of people taking on these projects.
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 12:49 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooster
I would check on the expat groups on Facebook, people may know more. The Occitanie and the Dordogne could be areas to look.
Thank you, yes we have actually been speaking to someone on the Occitanie region- will have a look on Facebook! Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kleeblatt
Some resort companies, such as Hapimag, have bought whole hamlets to be used as a resort compound. Check out some of Hapimag's resorts in Italy.
Thank you- not heard of them so will definitely look into it.
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 12:51 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tomboy
I don't think this fits into your vision, but.....we stumbled onto a small village about 8 years ago, near Taize (sp?), north of Lyon, which was on a bluff looking west over a valley. They were in the process of restoring the town, and the town church. The latter had an ancient mural that seemed had never been touched up. When I say the town was old, I mean REALLY old. We never saw any other town in France on our 6 trips that looked SO ancient.. Sorry I don't remember the name
Hello, thank you! I will have a look into that- sounds really interesting.
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 08:08 AM

You mention Abruzzo, so guessing you are familiar with Santo Stefano di Sessanio? Friends and I stayed there a few years ago. It's a very interesting project.
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 08:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'm wondering why someone working in the UK would use the term "inquiry" rather than "enquiry" to ask such a question. Is Channel 4 hiring foreigners to make their programmes?
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 07:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ah kerouac, phoebe is about right

https://www.grammar-monster.com/easi...ry_inquiry.htm
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 01:16 PM

This was on the CNN website today, might be of interest to you:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...ses/index.html

Lavandula
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kerouac
I'm wondering why someone working in the UK would use the term "inquiry" rather than "enquiry" to ask such a question. Is Channel 4 hiring foreigners to make their programmes?
Hi there, my apologies for getting the two words mixed up- thank you for correcting me, I'd always thought either way was suitable so I'll make sure to use enquiry from now on! The production company I work for aim to be inclusive and therefore hire people from all backgrounds and ethnicities. Due to the current covid situation as well we are working with people who currently live in the countries we are filming in so we do have a real mix of people on the team. Have a great day!
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lavandula
This was on the CNN website today, might be of interest to you:

Lavandula
Great, thank you so much for that, I will take a look!
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Leely2
You mention Abruzzo, so guessing you are familiar with Santo Stefano di Sessanio? Friends and I stayed there a few years ago. It's a very interesting project.
Yes, wow, you are so lucky to have stayed there. Looks beautiful.
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=bilboburgler;17208783]ah kerouac, phoebe is about right

/QUOTE]

I thought both ways were possible- easy to get mixed up anyway when they're so similar!