Reload this Page >

NEW TO PARIS, ON A BUDGET

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 12:06 PM
evelyn

first trip. staying at victoria Hotel, in 9th, budget hotel; need to know good budget resturants and where to get public transportation to get to main sights.write me at e-mail address. e.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Fred Melnick

There will be a metro station very close to your hotel. For more go to: www.anamericaninparis.com <BR>[email protected]

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 09:51 PM
Sue

You're in luck. Across the street from your hotel on Rue Montmartre is one of our favorite places in Paris--Chartiers, very near your closest Metro stop. You feel like you are back in the nineteenth century: waiters in black and white with big white aprons, a two-story high ceiling, huge mirrors on the walls. There is a set menu available, but it is fun choosing from the many a la carte items--all *very* inexpensive.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 04:06 AM
Maureen

Mr. Melnick: ADVERTISING IS NOT PERMITTED HERE, rather (just like on AOL), people share information, recommendations, and tips with each other - without attempting to charge for it. Many, many people offer extensive notes and informations on traveling to Paris, which they graciously e-mail upon request and do not ask for contributions. Contrary to what you may think, I quickly perused your guide and it is not the only guide to Paris you'll need. It is full of inaccuracies and would require extensive editing to render it more acceptable. No matter where one stays in Paris, "there will be a metro station very close to your hotel". Note that Ed and Julie, who have been providing in-depth, free, information to travelers for many years, were recently lambasted here for posting a link to their website which has one, almost unnoticable, link to Amazon.com and they are not begging for $10. And, it is positively ridiculous to push Cote Seine upon everyone. Care to tell us just how many of those letters have been presented or how many free meals you've received there? It's a small world, though. I just checked my notes. A friend of mine mentioned that, during a trip to Paris, he happened into a restaurant along one of the quais, following a concert at St-Chapelle, which was chock full of very loud Americans hollering across the room to one another and waving papers they had acquired from some guy on AOL named "Fred".

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 06:33 AM
Vanessa

I don't have a list of specific budget restaurants, but many cafes offer decent priced meals. The keywords when ordering on a budget is "plat du jour." That's their special of the day, which is usually a nice portion (sometimes includes dessert), and it's a good price.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 06:36 AM
elvira

Thanks, Maureen, for the lowdown. I've recommended Cote Seine often, but the last time I was there it was packed with Americans...now I know why. I won't be doing that again. <BR> <BR>Evelyn, there's a Metro station about 50m from your hotel; you can connect (free) between lines, so you can get to any part of the city from any metro stop. There are also buses. Here's a map to help: http://www.ratp.fr/Pla_q/Pla_r/Pla_r...ieu_drouot.htm <BR> <BR>For inexpensive eats, try the sandwiches, meat pies, etc. made by patisseries and boulangeries, and also in sandwich shops (Lina something is a chain, recommended by another Fodorite, good sandwiches but damned if I can remember the name right now); for restaurants that won't break the budget, get away from the tourist areas (look for menus not translated into English!); there are Asian restaurants (Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.) and Italian restaurants (pizza, pasta) with reasonable menus; do-it-yourself food is easy and inexpensive - buy bread, cheese, pickles, etc. from individual stores or from a grocery store. And there's always Mickey D's or Quick. <BR> <BR>You can find wine for a couple of dollars a bottle; great variety of bottled waters for $.50; in restaurants, tap water is free (ask for de l'eau); it's cheaper to stand at the bar and drink your coffee than to sit at a table. <BR>