Reload this Page >

new (to me) websites

Search

new (to me) websites

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 04:40 AM
elaine

new (to me) websites

Hi my local PBS station has been showing <BR>some wonderful video programs about some Italian destination, including Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice, Rome, etc. The <BR>videos are hosted by Rudy Maxa whom I've not seen before, but apparently he has a travel newsletter and an NPR program as well. <BR>The videos are excellent imo. <BR>His website is http://rudymaxa.com/index.php <BR>That promotional announcement aside, I was led from there to another link that seems to be a wide-ranging resource for many many travel web resources www.johnnyjet.com <BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 05:55 AM
Frank

Elaine: I saw the same programs last night on WLIW in New York and also thought they were great. Had seen Rudy Maxa once before but I agree he is a well kept secret. I thought his programs were better than Rick Steves, since he is less focused on the price of everything. I actually recorded the Florence and Italian hill towns programs and plan to record the Venice program when it re-plays next Saturday. Thanks for the heads up on the website. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Beth Anderson

wow, I just briefly looked at these two sites... very nice, can't wait to have time to look at them more closely! <BR> <BR>thanks Elaine.. <BR> <BR>ps. what other cities/areas do you have your wonderful files, for? I have Venice, for sure... if you have others, I would LOVE it if you would send them to me!! <BR> <BR>thanks!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:03 AM
mimi taylor

Rudy is also on national public radio. If you love Italy, check out L'aventura on Saturday noon on PBS.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:19 AM
elaine

Frank <BR>I saw them on WLIW as well,and I liked them much better also than the Rick Steve's shows because they didn't rely on Rick's quirks and obesessions <BR>(at least, Rudy's quirks are a better match to my own) <BR>I also found out that they're being rebroadcast this Sat; do you know during what hours? Too bad they'll probably be interrupted by pledge breaks. <BR> <BR>mimi <BR>Do you know when Rudy's shows are on NPR? I'm not an NPR listener usually, but I'd be interested in tuning in. <BR> <BR>Beth <BR>I also have files on Paris, London/UK, <BR>Rome, Florence/Tuscany, and just some random bits on Greece and Provence. <BR>If you want anything, please email me.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:37 AM
mimi taylor

It isn't really his show. He gives a few minutes of travel tips. The program is called marketplace. Airs around 6:30 or 7pm. I may add that Rudy's photography is far superior and aimed at a more sophisticated audience than <BR>steves, who appeals to the backpackers. Note the upscale hotels on Maxa's show.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 07:44 AM
mark

I was watching WLIW last night also - the photography and overall tone is much better than Rick Steves. I'm trying to remember the name of that monestary now hotel outside Florence that Rudy stayed at for future possibilties. <BR> <BR>Thanks for the heads up Elaine.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Frank

Elaine: Check the WLIW website for the schedule of re-broadcasts. The Venice program is being shown on Saturday at 11:20AM (strange time). <BR> <BR>Mark: If I recall correctly, the hotel is Villa San Michele high in the hills above Florence but actually in Fiesole. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 09:25 AM
tcc

Elaine- thanks for the info on johnnyjet.com- very cool! It also has the Sunday travel sections of various newspapers in the country. So if your local paper doesn't have info on what you need, perhaps you can find it in another paper. It's now been added to my favorites list on my computer

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:29 PM
gwp

Rudy used to be the host of "Savvy Traveller" on NPR--it is broadcast at different times in different cities (Philadelphia: Sun at 10 AM, I think, and maybe Sat night; in Boston I think it was Sat AM, for instance). As Phila station was broadcasting it at 7 AM on Sat previously, I hadn't heard it in a long time...I think they have just switched to a new host, w/ a weekly short bit by him (maybe b/c he got the PBS show?). Don't know whether you can listen to it on-line if your local NPR station only does news and not a lot of the other shows...

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 03:19 PM
robin

oh, oh, oh, --- Elaine, I'm hyperventilating with excitement! LOVE a good source of travel info & I'm trying to find out when my PBS station will be broadcasting Rudy Maxa shows. <BR>And that Johnny Jet website? He's got it going on --- a one stop shopping URL for every aspect of travel!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 03:34 PM
Katherine

KQED, in SF, had a pledge drive Saturday before last and showed a Rudy Maxa marathon; 9 episodes in a row (out of 13). The thank you gift for donating was the entire 13 episode series. You may still be able to get these (for a price). Website is www.kqed.org

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Katherine

In case anyone is interested, here's one place you can get these videos. <BR> <BR>http://www.kqed.org/supportkqed/memb...rttravels.html

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 04:58 AM
elaine

pam posted . and I topped this morning,the rebroadcast schedule for this coming Sat. of these shows on <BR>WLIW channel 21, for those in the New York City/Long Island area.