Search

New study links DVT to poor air quality

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:17 AM
esm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New study links DVT to poor air quality

A new study (published in Lancet) is showing that deep vein thrombosis can be caused by poor air quality in aircraft. Just in time to look forward to my upcoming trip.

http://tinyurl.com/hpzvd
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:55 AM

I wonder why it's called "Economy Class Syndrome." Do the people up front get better air?

Were the control group on the ground depressurized to cruise altitude (about 9,000 feet)?

Do I sound skeptical?
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:58 AM

I read that the term "economy class syndrome" is inaccurate, in any event, as people in the higher classes are just as likely to get it.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:07 AM

You're still way more likely to get run over on the way to the airport than getting DVT. Why worry?

WK
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:22 AM
esm
Original Poster

I posted the link because people often ask about this here.

I'm skeptical too (and not really worried); business and first class people don't get special air along with their champagne so this is still an economy class problem.

Travel-related catalogs will probably take advantage of this article. After all, they've convinced thousands of people that they'll need special travel clothes even if they're only going to the average European city.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:30 AM

ESM:The old methods of staving off any remote chance of DVT are simple to follow. Walk around the plane at least a few minutes out of every hour. Do seat exercises especially designed to keep the blood flowing. Don't drink alcohol and DO drink plenty of water during the flight.Some health magazines are touting a regimen of 100 mg.pycnogenol prior to and during the flight. Don't worry about it...chances of DVT affecting you are slim.Just get your mindset into the "enjoy" stage!
Stu T.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Isn't the 'economy class' syndrome because the seats are smaller... less chance to stretch legs, move around ?
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 12:29 PM
esm
Original Poster

Thanks Stu, I already try what you mention minus the medication. I dislike flights over 6 hours but love travel so I'll do my best to stay comfy. Maybe my new addiction to Sudoku will help this time around!

Surfmom, according to the article, WHO commissioned the study and they compared people in airplanes (hence the air quality) to people sitting in "similar" seats on the ground for 8 hours. I don't know the size of the seats or leg-room but it would be interesting to know.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 01:06 PM

esm...pycnogenol is not prescription..any health food store would have it.
My flights to anywhere in Europe are 11-13 hours from L.A.
Stu T.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 02:15 PM

By the way, Wally, your chances of living through a trip to the airport are greatly improved if you don't drive impaired or ride with someone who is.

All that &quot;average driver&quot; statistical base includes a whole lot of people who do things I wouldn't <i>dream</i> of in a vehicle, including killing myself (suicides aren't broken out of the statistics, you see).
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 04:33 PM

Just because a study appears in a refer- ereed professional journal doesn't make it good research. Whether or not the study actually demonstrates a definite relationship between the &quot;relatively low-pressure, low-oxygen content of air on a passenger jet&quot; will undoubtedly be the subject of many discussions by readers.

Unfortunately, we rarely, if ever, hear about studies which have been subsequent to publication shown to have been poorly conducted and lacking the necessary controls which foster dependable conclusions.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 04:34 PM

Sorry..meant to say the relationship between the ambient air and DVTs/thrombin formation.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 04:55 PM

My understanding is that as well as the factors already mentioned a particular cause is pressure on the back of your calves from the seat.

And to Wally: there is a very good reason to worry about DVT, namely pulmonary embolism. PEs are to be taken very seriously as they are distinctly life-threatening. Having had two myself (neither of them flying related as it happens) I can assure you they are best avoided.

Michael
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:10 PM

The air quality in aircraft usually isn't that bad; much of the air in the cabin comes from the outside and is very clean. The entire passenger cabin receives the same ventilation, although the cockpit receives much better ventilation.

If you want to avoid DVT, just stay in good health and exercise. If you must remain seated for several hours, try to get up and move around periodically a little bit. But if you are predisposed to DVT, this may not help much, and if you're in good health and free of any such predisposition, you won't need it.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 05:50 AM

I was kidding, you silly monkey! Aircraft systems systems are designed to completely replace all the air (everywhere in the cabin) every few minutes. The term &quot;poor air quality&quot; was an unsuitable journalistic choice, in my opinion.

Lower oxygen partial pressure (15% v. 21% at sea level) is the key issue, as described in the linked article:

http://tinyurl.com/oulsy

If exercise staves off DVT (and I don't know if this has been proved), it might well be that cranking up respiration is the operative mechanism. In any event, a dose of blood thinner (aspirin comes to mind) probably wouldn't hurt.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Not &quot;systems systems&quot; - &quot;circulation systems.&quot;
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 06:31 AM

Robespierre,

Whilst liability to DVT is down to many factors lack of movement is generally regarded as being a common trigger.

Aspirin will not prevent DVT, it only helps with clots in arteries, not veins.

Some people recommend compression stockings.

Michael
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 08:13 AM

I assume the subject study controlled for lack of movement. If it didn't, it was a lousy study.

&quot;Generally regarded&quot; is what got us into this mess in Iraq.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 09:04 AM

If you're in an atmosphere that provides inadequate oxygen, the last thing you want to do is exercise (increasing your need for oxygen).
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 09:07 AM

But if increased ventilation provides an excess of bloodstream O2, then it must net out to a Good Thing.

Maybe I'll start hyperventilating occasionally to build up the level. I know it works when I free dive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -