New Fuel Charge from Delta

Old Jun 27th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Fuel Charge from Delta

I just received this e-mail from Delta:

Escalating fuel prices continue to impact our world economy, everyday life and the airline industry. Due to continued, unprecedented fuel costs, we will add the following fuel surcharge to Award Tickets originating from the U.S. and Canada, effective August 15, 2008:

$25 for Award Travel between the 50 states and Canada
$50 for Award Travel between the 50 states/Canada and all international destinations
This was a difficult but essential decision to ensure we are doing everything possible to offset the cost of fuel which has nearly doubled in the last year. This fuel surcharge will not impact any existing ticketed Award itineraries or any future Award Tickets issued prior to August 15, 2008, regardless of the date of travel. We hope this is temporary, and should fuel prices subside from current levels, we will reevaluate this surcharge.

We are committed to making SkyMiles® the best frequent flyer program in the industry and providing you with the most benefits and rewards. We will continue to expand the destinations and opportunities for Award Travel and strengthen the program as we prepare for our proposed merger with Northwest Airlines®. Additionally, we will keep you updated on the launch of our new multi-tiered Award program and other key initiatives over the next 60 days.

Thank you for your continued loyalty and support of Delta and the SkyMiles Program—now and always.

Wonder what next!! I have my tickets for this fall and for next Spring to Paris....Fall of 2009 will be a different story..

Old Jun 27th, 2008, 10:47 AM

I'm sure the other airlines will follow along!

Thanks for the update.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 10:53 AM

So, now the charges for award tickets are taxes and fuel. And if it's a domestic flight, the check-in $15.

OUCH
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 12:06 PM

... and at least some airlines charge around $25 'processing fee' for converting the miles to a ticket.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Welcome to the brave new world of air travel. FWIW, fuel surcharges on FF tickets are common among the European carriers. And their fees are substantially higher than the ones Delta is pushing through.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 12:17 PM

And American charges $300.00 for an upgrade with miles...ONE WAY!
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 12:24 PM

And American charges $300.00 for an upgrade with miles...ONE WAY!

AA's system is actually pretty friendly. Many carriers require that you buy one of the higher-priced coach tickets to upgrade. This means that, if you can't upgrade at the time of purchase that you have to buy a more expensive ticket than you otherwise might just to have a chance at upgrading. With AA, you can buy a cheaper ticket and only pay the money when you actually get the upgrade.

Regardless of which system the airline uses, I find that the cash cost to upgrade (ticket price + any surcharge) is pretty similar across carriers.