New Format of Fodor's Forum/ BAD

Reply

Jan 12th, 2018, 08:09 PM
  #21
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 23,093
" My screen is full of ads and hard to follow "

As has been said multiple times on multiple threads: Install an adblocker.
thursdaysd is online now  
Reply With Quote
Jan 12th, 2018, 09:32 PM
  #22
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 222
I'm seeing very few ads. A sidebar ad and two other ads.

The new format is UGLY. Reminds me of 1993 . Seems like something I might have designed in 1993
Traveler_Nick is online now  
Reply With Quote
Jan 12th, 2018, 09:38 PM
  #23
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,683
Originally Posted by Bedar View Post
What other travel forums are out there ? This one now stinks.
There are no formats youíre going to like out there if you donít like this one. As someone else said- the issue is the software. The old forum wasnít a forum.

I thought Iíd dislike it a lot more than I do. It kept the folder layout and the settings and extras are pretty easy to figure out. Itís not missing big chunks in mobile mode like TA. TAís Mobile is terrible to the point that veterans chide new users for not seeing stuff that doesnít even exist in mobile format. Iím not impressed with bug issues here but itís improved. The old format was like a elderly car. You just worked around the broken bits. I will say something is migraine-y about the new format. I donít know if itís the background, font, or orange. Maybe all three.

Might help to remind yourself that a forum is more than layout. I belong to other forums. None of them would replace the community here. I use other forums for nitty gritty and regionalism. But this forum has travelers that I really enjoy following.

For those of you that donít notice the ads- what mode are you in? Mobile seems a lot less annoying than regular. I havenít bothered to install adblocker.
marvelousmouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jan 12th, 2018, 09:56 PM
  #24
kja
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,159
Originally Posted by marvelousmouse View Post
The old forum wasnít a forum.
I have no idea what that means. The old format served my needs. If it wasn't a forum, but it served my needs, and the new thing is a forum and ultimately doesn't serve my needs, it would seem a distinction without a difference.

When I decided to work with Fodor's, I did so in part specifically because I preferred its format to anything else that was out there. I hope to find ways to use this new format -- I know the decision to adopt it is irrevocable. I just hope we can continue to suggest ways to tweak it to better serve our needs. (Does anybody remember when CBS lost it's stable and loyal market because it decided to go mainstream, instead of maintaining its niche appeal to a more mature audience? It was, I think, an instructive example.)
kja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jan 13th, 2018, 04:08 AM
  #25
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 903
Thanks for the Adblock suggestion : works very well.
BritishCaicos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jan 13th, 2018, 04:50 AM
  #26
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,155
Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick View Post
I'm seeing very few ads. A sidebar ad and two other ads.

The new format is UGLY. Reminds me of 1993 . Seems like something I might have designed in 1993
Yes, very much so. I participate on another non-travel form that has many of these features and has a remote resemblance to this format, yet it's far more attractive.
WeisserTee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jan 13th, 2018, 05:13 AM
  #27
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,457
I just ignore the ads, My eyes are used to filtering them out on all sorts of sites.

The main suggestion that I would give to the powers-that-be here -- and I know that they put tons of thought and effort into the end result -- is that everything seems stretched out too wide for comfortable reading and navigating. It might be better to put in some bigger margins on the sides to condense the content. These lines -- such as the one you are now reading -- are too long and yet my whole message probably won't even take up two full lines.

okay: 2 and a half lines!
kerouac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jan 13th, 2018, 05:28 AM
  #28
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,079
Originally Posted by kja View Post
I have no idea what that means. The old format served my needs. If it wasn't a forum, but it served my needs, and the new thing is a forum and ultimately doesn't serve my needs, it would seem a distinction without a difference.

When I decided to work with Fodor's, I did so in part specifically because I preferred its format to anything else that was out there. I hope to find ways to use this new format -- I know the decision to adopt it is irrevocable. I just hope we can continue to suggest ways to tweak it to better serve our needs. (Does anybody remember when CBS lost it's stable and loyal market because it decided to go mainstream, instead of maintaining its niche appeal to a more mature audience? It was, I think, an instructive example.)
It means that the old software was intended for blogs . . not open Bulletin Board Forum usage. It had limited functionality and apparently was expensive to operate and maintain.

In what respect is it not serving your needs? Have you looked thru the Quick Start Guide?

There is also a Suggestion Box

This software is industry standard for Forums and has much more functionality. In other threads, IBObi has indicated that they are making adjustments to the aesthetics now. He also said that he is shorthanded, so it might not happen fast, but he seems more than willing to listen.

Last edited by Rich; Jan 13th, 2018 at 05:42 AM.
Rich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jan 13th, 2018, 05:31 AM
  #29
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,079
Originally Posted by kerouac View Post
I just ignore the ads, My eyes are used to filtering them out on all sorts of sites.

The main suggestion that I would give to the powers-that-be here -- and I know that they put tons of thought and effort into the end result -- is that everything seems stretched out too wide for comfortable reading and navigating. It might be better to put in some bigger margins on the sides to condense the content. These lines -- such as the one you are now reading -- are too long and yet my whole message probably won't even take up two full lines.

okay: 2 and a half lines!
The ads are easy to filter out using an ad blocker. I use M/S Edge for the browser and see very few ads even without an ad blocker

Have you tried changing the size of your Browser window? I have mine set to use about 2/3rds of my desktop area and it seems about right
Rich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jan 13th, 2018, 08:28 AM
  #30
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,152
I'm honestly seeing any differences in functionality, and I like the wider screen for text which means I don't have to scroll down as much. I'm also happy that the changeover didn't involve having to reregister or anything like that.
Nonconformist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jan 13th, 2018, 12:24 PM
  #31
kja
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,159
@ Rich: Thanks for you attention, but I have taken advantage of all of the opportunities we have been given to provide input about the change to a new platform from the time the idea was announced, and don’t believe my concerns bear repeating here. I have been pleased that at least some changes were made in response to concerns that I and others voiced, and will continue to use the technical support forum and suggestion box to comment as I think appropriate. My post on this thread was about how the issue is framed: Telling me it’s now a “forum” not a “blog” does absolutely nothing for me except to make me wonder why should I care what anyone calls it.
kja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jan 13th, 2018, 01:26 PM
  #32
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,552
This is third try at posting on this thread. My only glitch now. I got the email notice taken care of and will try the edit or is that only in if you started the thread? whoo hoo,
edit worked.

Last edited by Macross; Jan 13th, 2018 at 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Macross is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jan 13th, 2018, 02:00 PM
  #33
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 60,866
I still have to work on the edit function - my one effort I screwed up a bit. I may go play in the Testing area.
janisj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jan 13th, 2018, 02:15 PM
  #34
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,079
Originally Posted by kja View Post
Telling me itís now a ďforumĒ not a ďblogĒ does absolutely nothing for me except to make me wonder why should I care what anyone calls it.
Sorry, let's see if I can do better:

From the user perspective, the old software not being a forum meant that the users could not post photos, could not do a one click quote, had to do their own Formatting and had no provision for private messaging.

Software designed specifically for forums can do that and a lot more. The new software provides one click formatting, one click quoting, the ability to insert photos and video and private messaging. Non of that is forced on the user, but is an option. The user really loses nothing, in that you can still do your own formatting if you prefer ( as long as it does not clash with the software formatting)

From the Owners perspective, the old software had to have been a beast to maintain and keep running. It was pushed beyond it's limits by being modified to sorta look like Forum, which it was never intended to do.

The new software is industry standard, virtually every forum uses it therefore maintenance is less burdensome and data base is more stable. Skills are transferable between sites ( I learned how to use it on a totally different Forum.)

I hope this helps . .
Rich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jan 13th, 2018, 02:40 PM
  #35
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,024
Hey, I just found the Rick Steves forum to be quite like our old format. A number of Fodorites have already migrated there.
Bedar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jan 13th, 2018, 03:01 PM
  #36
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,683
Originally Posted by Bedar View Post
Hey, I just found the Rick Steves forum to be quite like our old format. A number of Fodorites have already migrated there.

I think itís likely that some people already had accounts. Many people here have multiple travel forum accounts.

RS is more readable because of font and design. Itís not identical to the old forum though. The software is more similar to this. The main difference is that there are fewer bells and whistles. But a lot of the same features exist. For example- something that seems to upset folks here is the PM feature...which also exists at Rick Steves.

it would be hilarious if folks here migrate to RS because of the design. Theyíd have to pretend to like the founder and that could be a real stumbling block for some fodorites.
marvelousmouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jan 13th, 2018, 03:14 PM
  #37
kja
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,159
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
From the user perspective, the old software not being a forum meant that the users could not post photos, could not do a one click quote, had to do their own Formatting and had no provision for private messaging.
Thanks -- that answer is clearer. As I have stated elsewhere, I'm not a fan of including photos (I find them distracting, particularly as currently formatted) and do not want private messaging. One-click quoting and easier formatting are nice, but not deal breakers for me.

Originally Posted by Bedar View Post
Hey, I just found the Rick Steves forum to be quite like our old format. A number of Fodorites have already migrated there.
I'd rather participate in no forum at all! YMMV.
kja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jan 13th, 2018, 04:04 PM
  #38
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 23,093
I posted at RS before I found Fodors.(I have nothing against RS and often recommend his "how to" book to newbies.) As well as the site being Eurocentric, the person in charge deleted a post I thought was fine. Things may have improved, but at the time chitchat was not encouraged.
thursdaysd is online now  
Reply With Quote
Jan 13th, 2018, 11:20 PM
  #39
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 222
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Sorry, let's see if I can do better:

From the user perspective, the old software not being a forum meant that the users could not post photos, could not do a one click quote, had to do their own Formatting and had no provision for private messaging.

Software designed specifically for forums can do that and a lot more. The new software provides one click formatting, one click quoting, the ability to insert photos and video and private messaging. Non of that is forced on the user, but is an option. The user really loses nothing, in that you can still do your own formatting if you prefer ( as long as it does not clash with the software formatting)
.
All that means it was an out of date forum not that it wasn't a forum. I agree the argument doesn't really matter.

How was the old forum a blog? Blogger is a blogging site. My blog is a blog. The forum was a forum. It might have been dated but it wasn't a blog. Virtually everything you mention being added to the new forum exists on any blogging platform.
Traveler_Nick is online now  
Reply With Quote
Jan 14th, 2018, 12:00 AM
  #40
kja
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,159
Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick View Post
How was the old forum a blog? Blogger is a blogging site. My blog is a blog. The forum was a forum. It might have been dated but it wasn't a blog. Virtually everything you mention being added to the new forum exists on any blogging platform.
Thanks, Traveler_Nick! I think my understanding was similar to yours, and these arguments that we are somehow changing from being a blog (which I never thought we were) to finally being a forum (which I always thought we were) have confused me -- and made me think we are being asked to admire the emperor's new clothes. JMO.
kja is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:55 AM.