New England and Big Sur

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New England and Big Sur

Leaving UK in Sept/Oct and want to visit part of New England, (hoping to see Autumn (Fall), lighthouses, arts and crafts etc.)> Can I have suggestions for tours, cheap accomodation etc.
Then flying to West Coast (from ? to ?) and would like to travel the Big Sur perhaps with stopovers along route. Will need to finish up in Los Angels or San Francisco to get a flight back to New Zealand.
Can anyone help with suggestions please.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 06:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"suggestions please."

1) re-post this over on the United States forum

2) Big Sur is half way between LA and SF so you should fly into one and out of the other.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 06:38 PM

Frances,

It's good that you are doing your homework now, because hotels/B&Bs sell out quickly, especially the first few weeks of October when the leaves are at their peak.
I don't know if you are flying into New York or Boston. If you fly into New York, you have many options. Depending on time restraints, you could drive through Connecticut and spend a night and half a day in Newport, RI. From there it's 3 hours to New Hampshire up Rt 93 to the greater Lincoln area - very pretty that time of year.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:24 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
All I can say is what a wonderful choice of destinations: two of my absolute favorite places in this country. You're off to a great start just by your choices!

Being from SF, I'm going to suggest that you fly out of SF. I don't know the exact distances, but I think Big Sur is slightly closer to SF anyway. You could fly into SF, drive to Carmel/Monterey area, then on to Big Sur. SF Airport - Carmel is approximately 90 minutes, depending upon day & time. Big Sur would then be a day trip, not because of distance but bc of the winding, beautiful roads, & you'll want to stop a lot.

New England: I'd go to NH & VT, but I don't know if you want to do Boston also. You'll be in prime leaf-peeping season. Heaven on earth, imo!

One of my favorite places to stay in VT is in Norwich, a little town on the Connecticut River. There's a charming old inn there, The Norwich Inn, which has rooms for under $150. But you do need to reserve well ahead of time, and I'm not sure they have a website.

Google 'leaf-peeping New England', and you'll get tons of helpful sites for lodging, routes, etc.

Great trip!
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Most folks prefer driving up the PCH, rather than down. Therefore, you might want to fly into SFO and drive to L.A.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL! I would call driving from SF to LA driving "down" Highway 1-it's not the PCH there.

If you have any difficulty with heights, and driving on the edge of high cliffs, drive from LA to SF and you will be on the land side of the road.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah - I've always thought of PCH as a SoCal thing. And in any case, LA would definitely be "down". Frances never came back to the forum after posting this back in January, so who knows what she decided . . . . .
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 01:05 PM

What a topsy-tervy post of mine...must've been tired! LOL!

JanisJ - Frances probably didn't come back because her hand was slapped. Such a pity, those urges....
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nobody "slapped her hand". Janis suggested she'd get a better response on the US forum, that's all. And she would have.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 09:01 AM

Barbara...opinions are like...I disagree. If you read JanisJ's posts, they're filled with hand-slapping.

Frances - Your plans sound good. I think you'll have a marvelous trip. Some nice stop overs along the coast would be here, on the Monterey Peninsula and then again in Santa Barbara.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Hi
Fall in New England is expensive. Everyone is visiting to see the foliage. Best for foliage is Vermont, which is well organized for tourists and New Hampshire. While i can't recommend tours of the area, I lived in New Hampshire and Massachusetts for many years, I would recommend renting a car if an organized tour is not what your looking for. Are you flying into Logan airport in Boston? Western Mass. is a very good area also. Get a guidebook for New England and research now as it is heavily touristed. Enjoy your trip.