New chic hotel in Amalfi coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi i m planning a trip to amalfi coast in Apr but have difficulty finding a chic hotel in amalfi coast. Couple of design hotels like Casa Angelina and La Minervetta are out of my budget...I am just surprised with the popularity of amalfi coast, there seemed to be a lack of new design hotels. Most accommodations are quite tired looking. Did i miss any thing? appreciate if someone can help? my budget is Eur 200 per night. thanks in advance
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I find that when a hotel is renovated or upgraded to "chic," the room rate goes up to pay for it. Economics of Tourism 101.

The two hotels you mention are in different areas. Do you want to stay on the Amalfi Coast or on the Bay of Naples (Sorrento)? Or both?

I assume you're looking for a double room at 200 euros per night. Correct?
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:33 AM

Jean is right--pick your location first--all the difference.
Look at Punta Regina in Positano.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 12:06 PM

If you happen to be including Naples in your plans, I could recommend the hotel I visited last fall--Palazzo Decumani. A "design" hotel of a sort within a historic exterior. Interesting. Classic with breakfast= 140 euro.

http://www.palazzodecumani.com/it/rooms

There are not that many new hotels in the Amalfi area since there is little new building allowed. But you can certainly find minimalist decor at many area hotels, even if i won't have the labels "design" or "boutique."
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Yes, thanks for advice. I m looking at anywhere along the coast - from sorrento to salerno, but not including Naples. As i would like to stay near the water. Yap, i m looking at Eur 200 for a double room per night. doable? i am okay with apartment or B&B as long as there are relatively new n chic design. thanks
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 06:27 AM

There is a brand new Novotel http://www.novotel.com/gb/hotel-6351...on/index.shtml

Don't know how "chic" it is...or the prices.

(Le Sirenuse, is, I think, one of the chicest...but certainly not for 200 euro/night and not "modern.")

If you're looking for the euro-modern look, I'd think you would really be better of enjoying Rome or Milan or any other the other large cities -the Amalfi coast area is rather unique and charming in an old-world sort of way - if you are looking for modern, I think you will find it run-down and not your cup or tea.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 08:53 PM

Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi is definately chic. We toured this hotel in Oct 09. It is set up high over Amalfi and it has just been renovated. You take an elevator from the street to get to it. Although chic is not my bag, I prefer old world charm, this hotel was beautifully redone and had fabulous views. They were offering some opening specials and it may be in your range if they are still offering them.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 03:11 AM

Exciting news--the Grand Hotel is the Cappucini Convento that was under restoration for so long...
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

The NH Grand Hotel Convento definitely looks interesting...However, i couldnt find any reviews. Anyone stayed there before?
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 05:26 AM

We enjoyed Hotel Luna Convento in Amalfi. The location is excellent, and it has a lot of historical charm. I would not call it "chic", but it has a lot of atmosphere. The cloister has been turned into a sun terrace with the scent of lemon buds...

http://www.lunahotel.it/