COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Never been to Greece, where should I start?

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Never been to Greece and am wondering where to start in planning my trip?? Stay with the big cities and do tours and go ot to remote coastal cities and really enjoy the local cuisine and culture??? Any ideas?
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 09:01 PM

When are you going and for how long?
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Next summer for a month
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:54 PM

Lucky you! Greece is amazing! If I had a week I would do a mix of islands, Athens and the mainland.

We spent a week on Naxos last year and loved it. There are lots of interesting islands to choose from. You could spend 3-5 days in Athens as there are lots of things to see. Then rent a car and visit sites on the mainland. We enjoyed Nafplio and the Poleppenese peninsula...also check out Delphi.

Just a few ideas. Maybe get a guidebook and see what grabs your interest!!
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 11:19 PM

Which month?
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:04 AM

>

I would start by thinking why I chose Greece at first place. What appeals to me, what are my interests, what I enjoy doing while abroad, what I liked/disliked on my previous trips, how fast/low paced I am while traveling, what type of accomodation, transport I like . I am sure you will have an idea on those already.

I would then look on the practical matters. When exactly I plan to visit, for how long, what my budget is, what is my entry and exit point in Greece, limitations on specific needs on this particular trip...

Them I would try to suit what I want to do with what I realisticaly can and make some compromises.

You may get some pointers here, but they might be irrelevant to you or far too general, unless you are willing to share a bit more abut your self and make more specific questions...