Never Been...Going in December - Rome/Flor

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize December is not the ideal time to go to Italy- but the Carribean is booked, I've never been to Italy and we're looking for a romantic country to visit for a week or so- that includes: great restaurants, visits to wineries, culture, fabulous hotel rooms with fireplaces, and beautiful scenery. Hence, Rome and Florence are what we have decided to try to plan a trip. Or should we do one city and a few side trips to countryside?

Details:
*Dec 27-Jan 1 - from New York City
*Should we fly in/out of diff cities?
*Any hotel reccs- love boutiquey types that aren't chains but also want to save some $$ for food/wine?
*Rent a car? Take day trips?
*Can we visit wineries or stay in Tuscany?
*Will places be shut down during this time of year? Is it worth going?? I have found some good flight/hotel deals as it's not touristy season.

And note: I'm going to return to Italy in 2 years with my family so the weather factor is important but not that important that it may be cold/rainy. THANK YOU!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Are the 27th of December and Jan. 1 travel dates or will you be there for 6 full days? Either way, I would strongly suggest that you pick out 1 city and really enjoy it.

Going from Rome to Florence is less than 2 hours on the ES train, but packing and unpacking kills a good part of one day.

You had a post in November of 2004 about taking your parents to Italy. I assume that trip never materalized.

Happy Travels, Mike
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Yup, never went! Very depressing- so want to get to Italy and Spain. Hence hoping to make this Dec trip work out as it's the only week we'll have off from work and grad school.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 05:39 PM

For a place to stay, we recommend the Daphne Veneto in Rome. It is not a chain, and is somewhere between a B&B and a hotel. No fireplace, but when we were there in May, it was reasonably priced at 144 euro. Maybe it's even less expensive in December.

I picked up the rec for this place here on Fodor's, and it was our favorite place to stay (beating out even a fancy hotel in Milan where we stayed).
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 05:44 PM

Oh - to give you my 2 cents on some of your other questions...for the amount of time you have and where you plan on staying, I'd avoid renting a car. A train gets you comfortably from Rome to Florence, and having a car in those 2 cities is tough.

I don't think there's much to see at a winery in December/January, though I could be wrong. I'd just stick to Florence and Rome, especially if the 27th and 1st are actual travel days.

I think it's definitely worth going. Wear appropriate clothing and you'll be fine. I'd try to figure out exactly what you want to see in advance and then check out websites, etc. to see if those places are open on the dates you are there.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Yes, flying into Rome mid-day on Tues, 27th and now staying thru Jan 2 or 3. Right now thinking Rome for 2 nights (I plan to return someday) and then train to Florence and then rent a car to drive thru Tuscany and stay at a small hotel Palazzo del Capitano and then work our way back to Rome to fly out the 2nd or 3rd of Jan.

I would love any additional Rome hotel reccomendations and any one-day tour type suggestions. I realize it's like visiting NYC in one day.

As for wineries, we love to visit wineries- even in cold weather, just hoping some are still open perhaps? Any thoughts. Thanks so much- going to check out hotel recc in previous posting.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:27 PM

Hard to imagine a "bad" time in Italy. But that is not what you asked. To some extent, the timing depends on where you are going to be. I say that because in the south of Italy it is very nice even during the winter months.

We have been in Rome during the December January time frame several times and enjoyed it very much. It is cold in the morning and 50s during the day although we have seen 70s also. Florence is always going to be colder, but ok. The good thing is - "no crowds."

Ideally, the spring probably would be best if not everyone else in the world would be there also. Italy has been and still is the most desirable vacation place in Europe, consequently lots of people will be there from March to October.

Having said all that, we will be in Florence from December 27th thru January 7th.

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 12:40 AM

I stayed near San Quirico, in Montepulciano, last summer. We flew out of Rome (also back to NYC), which made for a VERY early start on the day.

We had to leave Montepulciano by 6 a.m., to get to the airport in time for our 10 a.m. flight. It took us just over 2 hours, driving like mad! Plus, you have to fill up the tank before dropping off. And finding the rental car return is not super easy.

In 2004 we stayed in Rome before departing from FCO, and it was a much more relaxed morning of departure.

I am planning a very similar trip to yours with my mother and sisters in early March 2006. This will be their first trip to Italy.

We are also flying into Rome, then immediately taking a train to Florence to stay for 4 nights. We will do a daytrip into Tuscany (check out hillsandroads.com), then train back to Rome for 2 nights.

With such a short stay, you might want to consider limiting your locations to 2, because checking in/out of hotels PLUS relocating will eat at least half a day each time, as barbmike also advised.

That said, I did check out Palazzo del Capitano during our trip in August -- it looks very cute! But maybe this would be better for a 2nd trip?

I can personally recommend Relais Banchi Vecchi in Rome, although this year we are staying at Daphne Inn Veneto (as hunnym recommended to you.) It looks quite nice.

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 09:51 AM
ira

Hi L,

>looking for a romantic country to visit for a week or so- that includes: great restaurants, visits to wineries, culture, fabulous hotel rooms with fireplaces, and beautiful scenery. Hence, Rome and Florence...<

Is there a reason why you have left out Venice - one of the most romantic cities in the world - not to mention the rest of your criteria?

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 12:14 PM

We were in Rome last New Year's and it was very crowded. I would suggest flying into Rome, spending 3 nights there, to have one full day to see the Vatican, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's area, and another full day to see the historic sites of the city. Your first night could be a tour of all the fountains that are beautifull lit up, especially during the holiday season. See Rick Steve's flood lit night walk through Rome for a map and itinerary.

After Rome, I'd take a train to Orvieto and pick up a rental car in Orvieto, thus eliminating driving in Rome, and also avoiding the airport surcharges with car rentals. See this charming walled hilltown, and head north to either the Montepulciano/San Quirico area or to Siena for another two nights, depending where you want to be on New Year's Eve. I think Montepulciano or Siena would be very charming on New Year's Eve, and perhaps alot less crowded than Rome or Florence.

Then on to Florence, visiting a winery enroute (that is, if you can find one open on New Year's Day), and ditch the car immediately upon arrival in Florence. Stay for 2 more nights and fly home from Florence. This route eliminates any back tracking and maximizes your touring time.

The weather last year was beautiful during this week, with only one cooler day. We wore hoodies or light weight jackets most days, and one day it was 75 degrees. But I would always plan for rain with a waterproof jacket and layers to be peeled off as the sun comes out.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 12:46 PM

I meant to recommend a place we stayed in Rome, Le Suite di Via Ottaviano, www.lesuitediviaottaviano.com

You will get the best rate if you deal directly with Angelo, the owner of the 5 suites. We recently paid 120 E per night, but I imagine they will be more during the holiday season.

The newly renovated suites are located in an 18th century building, with beautiful jacuzzi bathrooms, great after a long day of touring. Everything is new, including canopy beds, mini bar, hairdryers, etc. And most imortantly is the prime locatin within 5 minutes walk of the Vatican and 5 minutes walk to the Metro train to take you everywhere else in Rome.

A beautiful place to stay and a great value for Rome.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the info- when staying in Rome where is it best to reside- close to the Vatican- I'm not quite clear on if it's a walking city (I walk everywhere in nyc) or if there are trains and such. All of the recommended hotels/ b&B's look wonderful.

also- does anyone have fabulous wineries to recommend to visit while in the Tuscanny area?
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Also would like to stay somewhere in Rome not eqiuvalent to Times Square but more West Village-ish??? But also be able to walk to sights and such
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 02:27 PM

If you walk anywhere in NYC..Rome will look as a little village for you Anyway, there are buses, taxis and a couple of metro lines. I, personally, don't like the zone near the Vatican. I would head to Pantheon, Piazza Navona or Trevi fountain areas if I were you.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 03:05 PM

<i>Also would like to stay somewhere in Rome not eqiuvalent to Times Square but more West Village-ish??? </i>

You might want to look at the Trastevere area. Check out the comments on this thread (&quot;more like the Soho area&quot.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34691445
It's an easy walk to the more touristed areas.

Hotel Santa Maria in Trastevere is always among the highest rated on TripAdvisor (It's usually #1 on the Rome hotels list).
http://www.htlsantamaria.com/english/index.htm

In Sienna, check out Palazzo Ravizza...it's inside the walls---with parking---and would make a good base for seeing surrounding hilltowns. I would love to spend New Years there!
http://www.palazzoravizza.it/
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 04:59 PM

For the amount of time you have, I agree wth Ira--go to Venice and Florence (a day trip to Siena maybe), but to try to do Rome and Florence in this time, is really pushing it. Also, as Ira mentioned, if you want &quot;romantic&quot;...well, then, Venice is a better choice (and I'd suggest Ca Maria Adele...check them out at www.camariaadele.it).
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Any suggestions on hotels in Tuscanny area that have fireplaces as we'll be there during December? Thank you! Also I'm looking into hotels in that Testaverde area- thanks!
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

oops Trastavere area!
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 12:58 PM

Lorraine:
Look at the website for Palazzo Ravizza in Siena (above). Go to the &quot;Rates&quot; page. They describe their suites as having balacony, <u>fireplaces</u>, decorated ceilings.

You'd probably want to write and ask what they can offer for the time you'll be there.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 01:03 PM

LOL! Their suites do NOT have balony. They have a balcony!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -