Reload this Page >

Neuschwanstein castle advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 04:41 PM
ladykt

Two of us will be travelling from Amsterdam to Austria in October 2001 and would very much like to visit the Neuschwanstein castle. We plan to pass through the area around the 12th or 13th and are wondering if the area will be more crowded than usual due to Oktoberfest. (We don't know the exact dates of that.) We're thinking of perhaps taking a train (w/bus connections if needed) or driving to the area and staying close to the castle to visit it first thing in the morning. Does anyone have any advice or comment on this idea? Any recommendations on where to stay to accomplish this goal?

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Linda

Oktoberfest is in September. Don't ask me why! Maybe somebody out there knows?

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 04:53 PM
Linda

Oops, hit the mouse too fast! Does anybody know why it's called Oktoberfest if it is in September? Was it originally in October then changed?

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 05:16 PM
Ed

Don't expect an absence of crowds in October ... it's still a popular month for Neuschwanstein visits. You're wise to want to plan for an early morning visit ... that'll give you the best shot at minimizing waits. <BR> <BR>Some accommodations at the castle both BnB and hotel, and lots in Füssen. We took Rick Steves' advice in stayed in Reutte which saves a dollar or two with some other advantages.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 05:26 PM
Rex

Oktoberfest ends roughly at the start of Oktober. Like "Super Bowl Week" ends with Super Bowl Sunday. Like "Derby festival" is the two weeks leading up to the first Saturday in May. <BR> <BR>I suppose it started out as the celebration of Oktober's arrival... <BR>and it just grew... and extended backwards... <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 06:13 PM
wes fowler

I've stayed in Upper Bavaria in late September during the time of Oktoberfest and never had difficulty in finding accommodations. The area southwest of Munich leading to Neuschwanstein is known as Pfaffenwinkel, or Priest's corner because of the number of stunning Baroque churches and monasteries in the area. The monastery in Ettal, the Baroque splendor of Wieskirche and the church in Rottenbuch, coupled with Ludwig's castles in Neuschwanstein and Linderhof and the charming villages of Mittenwald, Oberammergau and Schongau all warrant your considering a car rental during your stay. A number of the attractions are not convenient to public transportation. All are well worthwhile. Drop me an Email if you're interested in a recommendation for accommodations that are ideally located for a stay in Bavaria.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 06:18 PM
Rhonda

Many years ago my husband and I visited that area, stayed in Fussen (lovely) and went to visit Neushwanstein. Went on tour through Hohenschwangau, the lower castle built by Frederick's father first, thinking we'd then do Neuschwanstein. This castle was great but by the time we got to the top one, queues were so long we decided not to visit. Go straight to the top, early and if time later, then visit the lower castle.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 06:53 PM
Russ

<BR>Oktoberfest begins Sept. 22 and ends October 7. <BR> <BR>I'd stay in Füssen and get a head start on the crowds that daytrip from Munich. Here's a site with accommodations. Select the kind of place you want under "Unterkunft" (privatvermieter is private B&B's) and then "doppelzimmer" for double room, then hit search ("Suchen") and a list will come up. The B&B's are quite reasonable (prices in DM per person) and much more reasonable than in Munich! <BR> <BR>N'stein is impressive but is historically almost insignificant. It wasn't built until the late 1800's and was hardly lived in. Of course, it's now far more important to the German tourist economy than it ever was, as the crowds of visitors will indicate. <BR> <BR>If you'd like to visit a real knight's castle, stop along the Rhine on your train ride to Bavaria in Braubach, just south of Koblenz, and tour Marksburg Castle -- never destroyed, interesting furnishings and history, guides will answer questions in English and have handouts available in English as well. A real look into medieval life! <BR> <BR>www.roadstoruins.com/marksburg.htm

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 06:58 PM
Russ

OOOPs. Here's that Füssen link. <BR>http://www.koenigswinkel.de/gastgebe..._suche_zi.html

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 08:37 PM
Art

All, October fest was origionally held in October and was the wedding celabration for the wedding of the Princ of Bavaria and the Princess of Prussa. It started with bier and wine fests and horse racing. The people enjoyed it so much that they continued to celabrate it every year. It was moved to the last two weeks of September due to the weather many years ago. It always ends on the first Sunday of October, which this year is Oct 7th. Always lasts for 2 weeks and 3 weekends so you just look for the first Sunday in October and back up from there. <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 08:54 PM
xxx

I, too, took the advice from Rick Steves' book about Reutte. I wrote to the tourist office there, and got some very good literature. From that, we chose www.hotel-ernberg.at/index.shtml which is actually just outside Reutte in Breitenwang. Very happy with it. <BR> <BR>Very easy 20 minute drive from there to get to Neuschwanstein. You can get there early in the morning, enjoy the castle, and even make it back to this hotel in time for lunch. Much better than having to deal with re-packing for the day at seven o'clock in the morning. <BR> <BR>From there, we moved on to Vaduz. <BR> <BR>Oh, and I forgot to mention, this was an easy drive from Munich, leaving there at noon, stopping on the way at Schloss Linderhof. <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 02:26 AM
Gar

hi there, <BR>try http://www.ticket-center-hohenschwan...ts/tickets.htm <BR>Here You can book tickets in advance, so You safe about 1 - 2 hours standing in line. <BR>have fun <BR>Gar

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 11:30 AM
Dawn

We went late in the day, around 4:30, and had no lines, and a most beautiful sunset. At that time there may have been 50 people there in total. And we went early October.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 04:40 PM
Phil

Get to the Newsch. castle early to miss the wait. After that go to the Bridge that overlooks the castle for a picture of you with the castle in the back. If you have time, get to Ludwig's summer home (castle) which is near by Newsch. castle. I think it was called "Ettal"???

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 08:33 PM
Art

Hi Ludwigs summer (hunting chateau) home is named Linderhof. It is equally impressive as Neuschwanstein but totally different. Very worth while visiting. <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 07:46 AM
wes fowler

Here’s a little background and information regarding Bavarian castles that may be of interest and value. There are four major castles in Upper Bavaria, three of which are the result of King Ludwig II’s obsession with castle building. Schloss Hohenschwangau is not one of Ludwig’s. It was built by his grandfather, Maximilian II in the English Tudor style and is the castle in which he Ludwig was born. It’s one of the few castles that someone lived in for an extended period of time. Queen Marie, Ludwig’s mother lived there for many years. It’s located about a mile and a half southeast of the town of Fussen. From the castle’s terraces you can get some stunning views of its neighbor, Schloss Neuschwanstein, Ludwig’s best known and most eccentric castle. Part of its eccentricity comes from the fact that it was designed, not by an architect, but by a designer of theatrical productions. Its flamboyance attests to its odd origins. <BR> <BR>Arrive early to tour the castles. Tour buses begin to arrive at about 10AM. If arriving by car, leave it in the special car park at Hohenschwangau. You can walk from the parking lot to Schloss Hohenschwangau. Following the tour of the castle, walk back to the center of the village where you can either take a bus from the Hotel Liesl or horse-drawn cart from the Hotel Muller to Neuschwanstein. Take one or the other; you can walk to Neuschwanstein but it’s a very steep and lengthy climb. After touring the castle, you might want to walk up the Pollat gorge to the Marienbrucke, the bridge that spans the gorge. From there you can look down on Neuschwanstein castle, a most impressive view. Return to the village and your car by either the bus or horse cart. <BR> <BR>Linderhof is another of Ludwig’s castles, this one in the style of Louis XIV. It’s near Oberammergau and although only about 16kms east of Hohenschwangau as the crow flies, there’s no direct route to it in Germany. Rather than drive north from Hohenschwangau to Steingaden and then southeast towards Oberammergau to avoid a couple of mountains, it makes more sense to go south into Austria and pick up the route going from Unterletzen to Plansee and Ammersattel to Ammergebirge just west of Linderhof. It’s a much shorter, faster route with some wonderful scenery. <BR> <BR>Linderhof is Rococo in design, dates from the mid 1870s and has an extraordinarily ornate interior. It’s in a lovely setting with gardens, grottos, waterfalls and fountains and a number of eccentric outbuildings including a kiosk in Moorish style. Heaven only knows why. <BR> <BR>The third of Ludwig’s castles is Schloss Herrenchiemsee on an island in the lake of the same name lying east of Munich. This castle is obviously modeled after Louis XIV’s Versailles and while it is a copy of sorts it’s probably Ludwig’s finest castle due to its stunning interiors including a hall of mirrors and equally to its setting on an island in lake Chiemsee. <BR> <BR>Now, what’s the story on Ettal? Located in the village of Ettal about 2 miles southeast of Oberammergau, Kloster Ettal is not a castle but rather an immense monastery dating from the early 1300s and subsequently remodelled and enhanced in the Baroque style. It’s a stunning example of the artistry of those architects and artisans who introduced the Baroque to Bavaria in the mid 1700s. <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 10:00 AM
Doug

I agree with Wes in feeling that Herrenchiemsee is Ludvig's most impressive castle. The location and the immensity are stunning. I always wondered why it seems to be the least "famous" or popular especially since it is so close to the Munich-Salzburg Autobahn.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Ann

Although I usually recommend the Rubezahl in Schwangau, since you say you'll be traveling by train and want to get up to the castle first thing in the morning, please take a look at the Schlosshotel Lisl (and Jagerhaus) as a possibility. The address (Neuschwansteinstrasse #1) should give you a clue how close it is to the bus and horse-drawn carriage stops. Their website is www.lisl.de and you should be able to get a room for about DM 130 or so. Have a great time - October is a WONDERFUL month to be in Germany!