Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Netherlands - Q re: fly imprinted on the urinal

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 06:31 AM
buzz

Couldn't help but notice that many urinals in the Netherlands have a fly outline printed in urinal. Is there a story about that? Probably just a brand-type, but I found it a bit whimsical, though odd.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 06:54 AM
kathypompe

In the Amsterdam airport, in some urinals, a ceramic fly is incorporated as part of the final ceramic glazing/ firing process. I believe the story with those (and maybe with the fly to which you are referring) is this. The firm which was responsible for keeping the urinals tidy at the airport decided that there must be some solution to keeping the facilities cleaner. Apparently, the "aim" went everywhere. So... By having something specific to aim at, near the drain, the problem was solved. I think the company also won some sort of award for their creative solution.

I guess I should explain how I saw this. While my husband and I were waiting for a plane at the airport, he came out of the men's room & said to me, "You have to see this. They really are there." He had read about them in an article some time ago. It is a whimsical but ingenious solution.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Jackie

How interesting that we have to give direction on where and how to urinate. Pitiful.....

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 08:27 AM
buzz

Great story. I know that I initially saw the flies at Schipol, but thought I saw them elsewhere in the country, too.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 03:53 AM
Sjoerd

Highly sophisticated research showed that men are more likely to actually piss in the urinal than next to it when they have a clear goal to piss at.