Netherlands and beyond.

Search

Netherlands and beyond.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Netherlands and beyond.

I will be traveling to the Netherlands for two weeks in July. I'll be in Amsterdam for two days then to small town of Zevenbergen for a family reunion for a few days. We will probably visit Brugge and Ghent, Belgium during that time.
For a few days I would like to either visit more of the Netherlands (away from big cities) and/or take a few days to visit a mountainous area in Germany or Switzerland. I would prefer a place that is no more than 2-3 hours by train. Austria sounds wonderful but I think that might be too far for only a few days? Thoughts about Strasbourg? Cologne? Basel?
If I stay in the Netherlands I'd like suggestions: Geithoorn? Maastricht?

Thanks so much
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 11:31 PM

No Giethoorn. How about Friesland/Drenthe/Groningen, the three northern provinces. They work best with a car but with patience you can get around by train/bus.
Every province in the netherlands has its charms and small interesting places without hordes of tourists (Giethoorn being an exception though it depends on how things go with the Corona virus how overrun it will be).

You could just stay on in Zevenbergen and visit places like the Biesbosch, Klundert, Breda, Rotterdam, Kinderdijk, and Zeeland. Zundert, van Gogh's birthplace is close by too.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 05:27 AM

And go and see the Basiliek at Oudenbosch when you're in Zevenbergen. It's not far.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oudenbosch

Add some time in Zeeland perhaps; Middelburg, Domburg, Zierikzee. It'll be busy though, during the summer holidays.

Check the dates of the Gentse Feesten in July, and either do or don't go. It's a large city-wide event.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tulips
And go and see the Basiliek at Oudenbosch when you're in Zevenbergen. It's not far.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oudenbosch

Add some time in Zeeland perhaps; Middelburg, Domburg, Zierikzee. It'll be busy though, during the summer holidays.

Check the dates of the Gentse Feesten in July, and either do or don't go. It's a large city-wide event.
Yes I’ve heard about Middleburg and might visit there. It sounds lovely. I’d like to avoid crowds if possible. Middle burg will be crowded because it’s on the coast?
thank you!
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=hetismij2;17057010]No Giethoorn. How about Friesland/Drenthe/Groningen, the three northern provinces. They work best with a car but with patience you can get around by train/bus.
Every province in the netherlands has its charms and small interesting places without hordes of tourists (Giethoorn being an exception though it depends on how things go with the Corona virus how overrun it will be).

You could just stay on in Zevenbergen and visit places like the Biesbosch, Klundert, Breda, Rotterdam, Kinderdijk, and Zeeland. Zundert, van Gogh's birthplace is close by too.

Thank you. I’ll look into those towns. I really don’t want to bother with a car but I will consider it if needed. It sounds like there are some great little towns that could take up my 4-5 days of I decide to stay in Holland rather than travel elsewhere.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1958
I will be traveling to the Netherlands for two weeks in July. I'll be in Amsterdam for two days then to small town of Zevenbergen for a family reunion for a few days. We will probably visit Brugge and Ghent, Belgium during that time.
For a few days I would like to either visit more of the Netherlands (away from big cities) and/or take a few days to visit a mountainous area in Germany or Switzerland. I would prefer a place that is no more than 2-3 hours by train. Austria sounds wonderful but I think that might be too far for only a few days? Thoughts about Strasbourg? Cologne? Basel?
If I stay in the Netherlands I'd like suggestions: Geithoorn? Maastricht?

Thanks so much
Antwerp is very much near you, so is Brussels, or if you travel via Breda by train, Cologne, Dusseldorf, Utrecht as well (also via Breda), Rotterdam...
Giethoorn: I wouldn't go. Almost impossible to reach by public transport and literally mobbed by hordes of tourists. Especially in summer. No fun at all. But Arnhem, and beyond the Hanseatic cities along the IJssel river are very much within your reach.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1958
Yes I’ve heard about Middleburg and might visit there. It sounds lovely. I’d like to avoid crowds if possible. Middle burg will be crowded because it’s on the coast?
thank you!
Middelburg is not on the coast, and it's a gorgeous city. It won't be overly crowded. Expect the influence of the many German tourists on food options in restaurants. But then, Middelburg is also halfway Belgium so the regional food is better than usual in the Netherlands, and Zeeland, the province, has a distinct culinary heritage, because it was in Spanish territory during part of the Dutch revolt. Lots of great seafood in Zeeland.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 08:06 AM

[QUOTE=Julie1958;17057144]
Originally Posted by hetismij2
No Giethoorn. How about Friesland/Drenthe/Groningen, the three northern provinces. They work best with a car but with patience you can get around by train/bus.

Thank you. I’ll look into those towns. I really don’t want to bother with a car but I will consider it if needed. It sounds like there are some great little towns that could take up my 4-5 days of I decide to stay in Holland rather than travel elsewhere.
Just because not many people know this: there's a regional bus from Breda Central Station, that ends up in Hulst, in Zeeuws Vlaanderen, but routes through Antwerp and has a stop there at Noorderdokken.

Hulst is a prime example of the fortified architecture of the 16th and 17th century https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulst