Search

nest trip (England + France) Doable ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2019, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nest trip (England + France) Doable ?

Hi !

We are just back from a one month trip in Croatia, Slovenia and the Dolomites and we are already thinking about our next summer trip !

We have 2 kids (8 and 12 years old), we are french speaking so we have thought going in France (never been there with the kids) and England.

We would have between 28 and 35 days for that trip. We have think about :

1) 2 weeks in Paris and nothern France (Britain + Normandy). We would go to Disney Paris and/or parc Astérix and/or Puy du fou.We would rent a car for the part after Paris. We wopuld go to England by train (without the rental car)
2) 2 weeks in London and Some other place in England. maybe we would go to Edinburgh and take a flight back from Glasgow (direct flight to Montreal) . We would do that leg by train/bus.

Is it doable ? Of course we are in first stage of our planing so everything is on the table. We would like a mis of good food,history, cities, small village and naural beauties (we had a blast in the Dolomites!)

Thanks !
Old Aug 10th, 2019, 06:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Is it doable ?<<

Absolutely.

>>We would do that leg by train/bus<<

Not sure what you mean by that leg? Are you just talking about London (or somewhere else in England) to Edinburgh? If so trains are usually the way to go. There is a lot more to Scotland than Edinburgh - and if you want to visit other parts of the country you'll probably want a car.

Specifically when in summer makes a very big difference. Edinburgh is VERY crowded and VERY expensive the whole month of August because of the Fringe, other festivals, and the Tattoo.

You could do the trip in reverse very easily. Paris/northern France, then fly to Scotland (either EDI or GLA) spend some time in Scotland, take the train down to London and fly home from there.
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 08:00 AM

Yes I think that sounds like a great plan. I know more about the French side than the UK side but agree that I think it would be better to travel by train in the UK. A couple thoughts for the France portion:

Instead or in addition to the other parks you mention I would highly recommend Oceanopolis in Brest. If that would be your only park it would make it easy to really focus on Normandy/Brittany. It is a wonderful park for kids that age especially if they like the sea. I did some work for them for a virtual reality project a few years back-they are great people and it is a nice park:

https://www.oceanopolis.com/en/welcome

And just to consider as an alternative to the train to go to the UK, take a look at the Brittany ferries where you could either drop or pick up a car on the French side. Be aware some of the routes can be long-overnight and expensive, and they can book up quite early. But I mention it as an alternative since a lot of folks don't know about them.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/f...ferries-france

In Brittany we prefer to base in Dinard versus St. Malo-quieter and I think a nicer beach and they have a wonderful market. We also love Vannes in lower Brittany
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 09:52 AM

This might get removed but I thought a "nest trip" might be something like a babymoon.
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 10:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts