Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need your help please with Prague planning...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Marcie

We will be spending 5 days in Prague and are looking over tour options. Of course we want to see the Prague Castle but not sure to what detail. My husband is somewhat "castled-out" from our many trips to Europe. We're not sure if the interior, gardens, cathedral is worthwhile. There are two tours offered...one more of a general overview and one that is a 3 hour detailed tour. I appreciate your thoughts if you've been to the Castle before. Also, is anyone familiar with the Fortress of Vysehrad (military fortress about 10 minutes outside of Prague)??? Thanks for your help. Marcie

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Christina

Architectural history is one of my avocations, so I spent a lot of time there, but I don't expect it to be of the same interest for others. THe castle and cathedral are definitely worth seeing in comparison to some European sites where things are damaged, decayed, not restored, or just nothing very interesting in them. I didn't see any gardens. I did it on my own from guidebooks, but I think a good guide would add a lot because there is so much to see, some outstanding architectural features, and quite a history. Also, there are some things you may be able to see the general public isn't. However, a 3 hr detailed tour would probably be more than I'd want to sign up for. That's probably true about anywhere, to be honest, I just get a little antsy in situations like that, although a 2-hr one might be more palatable (I think the special tour I had of Cesky Krumlov castle was about 2 hrs). I haven't been to Vysehrad. NOt sure I have a strong opinion -- if you like guided tours and don't read a lot on your own, there is definitely enough worth seeing in 3 hrs at that complex.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Mary Ann

Hi<BR>We were in Prague in Sept 1999. We predominantly used Rick Steves walking tours. Prague is in the Germany book I think. These were great because we could go at our own pace (fast or slow) pick and choose what we wanted to see. We spent one morning walking the Castle area which included the little shops, gardens and down the hill to the lower square where we had lunch. Then walked over the bridge to Old town in the afternoon to see the clock and make arrangements for a concert at the TI there. Next day we did the Jewish Quarter and ended up in Old Town square for lunch and shopping. We swear by walking tours, the only draw back can be reading sometimes rather than having someone lecture you but it did not bother us.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Jason

By all means tour the castle and cathedral but, don't waste money on a tour. Get the audio tour (opposite the cathedral entrance). It's well worth it.<BR>Nothing much to see at Vysehrad, just big walls.<BR><BR>Also a link for your prep work is below;<BR><BR>http://www.jasoncholt.com/prague/index.html<BR><BR>Jason

Old May 28th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Cyndi

I don't agree with the above poster, our guide for the castle gave us much insite into other things about Prague, and the take over and living under communist rule. We went back with other friends and bought the Audio, and it put me to sleep on my feet.

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:57 PM
kk

Marcie, of the two options you've noted, I would advise you to take the 3 hour detailed tour. There are many different buildings within the castle walls and plenty to see. Like Christina, I don't really remember any gardens, but there is so much there that for me, three hours would not be enough. If your husband is castled out, then he wouldn't agree with me, so maybe three hours would be about right. I hope you enjoy Prague, a fabulous city. <BR>I didn't go to Vysehrad either because there was so much else to see in Prague and it's out of the way. If you like gardens, be sure to see the Wallenstein Gardens, right down the hill from the castle. Outstanding! You will think you are in Italy. It is so beautiful.

Old May 29th, 2002, 06:27 AM
shirl

The day we visited Vysehrad in November was one of my favorite days in Prague! We took the tour through the old walls, I've forgotten what they were called) was interesting and ended in an underground room where several of the original statues from the Charles Bridge are stored. This was a surprise. The elderly gentleman who took us through was charming and informative.<BR><BR>Also, if you are into cemeteries, the National Cemetery at SS Paul and Peter is spectacular. We were there a few days after All Saints Day and all the tombs were covered with flowers. This is where the elite are buried.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Rollie

Vysehrad is a very serene, peaceful place. The views of the city are amazing. I would definitely go if you have 5 days. You can get there by bus - not sure which route.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 09:11 PM
KKC

We just came back from Prague. This city is amazingly beautiful and it grew on you. Plan on a guided city walk. We did and learned so much. Just showed up at Wenseles Square statue at 10:00 a.m. 4 hours with lunch break at 400 ckz. Well worth it. Go back at your leisure to the castle and then select what you want to see. We chose not to go inside the castle but rather spend lots of time walking around and be sure to go the terrace garden. Enter at the top or the bottom where Wallenstein Garden is. Rebuilt from ruins and each terrace is different. Make sure you go up to the monastry and Loreto Church near the castle at the top and you can go into Petrin Hill park from there. Absorb the gorgeous view of the castle and the Vltava River and the city below. Then get a cup of coffee from the Hotel Nebozezik (we stayed there and it is absolutely fabulous at an amazingly reasonable price) and then take the furnicular to go back down to Lesser Town. Be sure to put on a pair of light, good walking shoes. <BR><BR>If you are looking for a day trip or even overnight, try Cesky Krumlov. You won't regret it. It is downright charming. Take the bus or train. Hotels and food there are lots and cheap. The castle at this place is actually more impressive in some ways. Don't miss it.