Reload this Page >

Need Travel tips, travel campanions, and the coolest places to vsiit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 05:55 PM
adamriemer

Hey everybody, I'm 24/m american fnishing grad school and will be in europe for 17 days may4-21. I will fly into Amsterdam for 2-3days, then paris for 2-3days, and spend remainder in italy.

What I need is tips on best itinerary. I will be flying out of rome. I was thinking of taking flight from paris to venice (1night)and start there. Then head to cirque Terre region for day and take night train towards Naples/Amalfi Coast. From there im abit clueless on accomidations and what to do. I want to spend days seeing the beauty of Italy and nights partying so all advice is appreciated. Also, let me know where not to stay(hostels) and your biggest regrets

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are finishing grad school you should be well trained in doing research. Get some guide books and start reading, and make choices based on your interests.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 06:51 PM
adamriemer

I know I can do research, but its nice to hear other travelers tips that may not be available. God, what a smartass

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:10 PM

Clue # 1- not a good idea to call long time helpful Fodorites names like smartass..

Clue # 2- with such a lot of questions, it usually helps if you read everything you can in books and on Fodors to get a better idea of what you want to do and what you need to know. Then you post with specific questions..just easier for all to be more helpful to someone who does not call us smartass.

Go to the Searchbox and type in Cinque Terre or Venice and read all the info already posted, it should get you started.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:18 PM

Hmmm, you may be graduating from grad school adamriemer but perhaps you need to take a course that advises you on how to be wellmannered and come across as a gentleman.

I could answer some of your questions. But since you were so rude to a very lovely lady here on Fodors I won't.

My travel tip to you, get rid of the rude and uncouth attitude..it won't get you far in Europe.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:32 PM

I didn't really take adamriemer's posting as being so much rude as speaking his mind and sounding somewhat enthusiastic about this site and then being shot down a bit. For those of us who post on this board quite often there might be a tendancy to be a bit impatient with new comers - when they just need to learn the ropes and get a nice nudge in the right direction of reading previous threads.

So, adamriemer - if you still want to come back to the Fodors talk boards after all this -- and I hope you do -- definitely search and check out some threads...there are some great postings here that you will definitely find helpful...and I'm sure many of us will be happy to offer advice.

What I'll offer first of all is that you didn't have Rome on your list and since you are thinking of going from CT to Amalfi, you should definitely consider a stop in Rome if that's a place you haven't yet visited.

Happy reading/planning - that's half the fun!
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I agree that he should never have come back with that name calling but I don't think his post was asking for all this. Is there a full moon tonight?
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:52 PM

OOOOhhhh, tough neighborhood, where are those brass nuckles?

VS

If adamriemer wants to come back he will. Maybe a different tack (nautical usage) wouldn't hurt.

This is a great site if one does make an attempt to learn on their own from available bookstores, libraries, websites, etc.

To answer your question adamriemer, in the end, the best choices and itinerary will be those that you resolve in the end, suit you.

Have a blast planning and don't be afraid to seek sagely advice from those on this board.

Methinks you take offence too quickly, which proves LoveItaly's point.

For my part I enjoy this board but I would prefer to not hear the Lord's Name taken in vain.

Thanks and come back to gain some info that will be very difficult to find anywhere else.

VS :-"
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 08:06 PM

Author: adamriemer
Date: 04/10/2006, 10:51 pm
God, what a smartass

Yes you are.
Please learn some manners Before you leave the nest.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 08:16 PM

I think you are all being tough on a new poster who doesn't post any worse than some you answer to.Yes he was out of line but underhills post was not too kind.'
There's got to me a full moon tonight
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 08:23 PM

Hey....Lighten up..

Underhill was NOT helpful to a legitimate request from a new young traveler and the subsequent posts come across as very "clubby and snobish"

Granted, Adamriemer should not have responded with name calling, but it wasn't unprovoked.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 08:31 PM

Mimi, you made me giggle... and you are right, we are close to it, full moon on 4/13.

(above icon is the closest I could get for ya doll)
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 08:32 PM

Nah. It is only a quarter moon here.
I guess I just object to 'God' and 'smartass'. A person being uninformed does not bother me. A person being rude does.
Maybe these values vary from place to place.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 08:42 PM

Actually, adamariemer admits he is a bit clueless and while I did object to his calling a longtime helpful Fodorite a smartass, I also gave him some clues as to how to do research on Fodors.
That is more than most people get when they start their first post with an insult, as a response to a suggestion to do some more research...
which the OP admits that he knows he can do but.....
The moon has nothing to do with bad manners.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Neopolitan

OK, I'll admit to sometimes being a dummy. Can anyone explain to my how the following post is considered rude?

"If you are finishing grad school you should be well trained in doing research. Get some guide books and start reading, and make choices based on your interests."

It sounds matter of fact, honest, and helpful to me. In fact, venturegirl, you said this:

"I didn't really take adamriemer's posting as being so much rude as speaking his mind and sounding somewhat enthusiastic about this site and then being shot down a bit. For those of us who post on this board quite often there might be a tendancy to be a bit impatient with new comers - when they just need to learn the ropes and get a nice nudge in the right direction of reading previous threads."

Try as I might, I can't figure out where the "shooting down" was in that post, and in fact I'd say that Underhill did exactly what you said -- giving a nudge in the right direction. (And I'd agree with Underhill that the guide book needs to come even before reading previous threads in this case.)

If anyone was even the least bit out of line it was the original poster with that second post.

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 09:17 PM

Well, Adam, to me it sounds like you have a pretty good plan started. If you are like my college grads, they don't have time to read guidebooks.

If you post a question specifically on Italy, I bet you will get some experts to help you out and you can start over fresh.

If you would like to read a thread I started on cheap hotels and hostels in Paris I did for my son and his cousin recently (they are there now), see this thread:

http://tinyurl.com/q77lv

Adam, just relax. If someone makes a comment you don't like, just ignore them or say thanks for the advice and move on.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:40 PM
adamriemer

Hey everyone thank you all for your advise. I have done quite a bit of research, but w/ so much to do in so little time, I really posted this to get the inside scoop on what some of your favorite experiences were and some of your least favorite. In no way was I trying to be rude, if anything, I feel that it was rude for anyone to be offended or upset, or assume I'm "lazy" for wanting to know as much as possible. If anyone was offended by my use of the word smart ass, then next time I will simply write, please do not post if you do not plan on offering any advise. smartelch Maybe next time I post I will leave out that I am a grad student, because I feel as though this was the root of replies telling me to go to my own research. I said I was finshing grad school just to tell a little about myself, not to brag or belittle.

Sincerely,

Adam Riemer

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:47 PM
adamriemer

Oh ya, and this is def the best site cause I have never seen so many responses to just one post in 24 hours. lol. Im really a liad back guy and a bit a of wizeass myself, so to call someone else a smart ass didnt seem to be offensive, but due to such negative publicity Ive gotten, im sincerely sorry for all that I have offended by namecalling.

Yours Truly
Adam the bigmouthed Smartass

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:51 PM

That's ok Adam because friends are those, when you have made an ass of yourself, who don't think it's a permanent condition.
kiss, kiss, mimi
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Adam,
Have you checked the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Europe board? I ask merely because you're likely to find more posters closer to your own age, those who can help you with partying at the very least.

Have a great trip. Don't miss Rome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -