Reload this Page >

Need suggestions for Spain?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2000, 06:37 PM
Lorie

Just returned from a two-week vacation in Spain (traveled by car). Does anybody need any suggestions? Madrid, Pyrenees Mountains, Costa Brava (several coastal towns), and Barcelona. Hotel, restaurant, driving and shopping info to share.

Old May 26th, 2000, 06:43 AM
Sheila

I posted this question earlier but did not get a reply. I am planning a trip to Spain next year and was wondering what types of things you buy to bring home. For example, in Italy I bought leather and blown glass. I was just wondering if there are certain things Spain is famous for. Thanks for your help.

Old May 26th, 2000, 08:26 AM
Maira

Sheila, I didn't see your previous post on the subject. Glad to have another chance. <BR> <BR>Spanish shoes are very stylish and of excellent quality. Also, leather purses are quite a good buy. Sherry and Porto wine (although of a Portuguese origin, prices of Porto wine in Spain are very low). <BR> <BR>Lorie, I am anxious to hear which coastal towns and features of each. PLEASE elaborate!

Old May 26th, 2000, 12:56 PM
Monica Richards

Spanish tiles are great to bring home. Azulejos (at least that's what they're called when you buy them in Portugal). You can either get antique ones pulled off old houses or new hand-made ones. Either way, they're beautiful. Now I just have to figure out how to get the ones I bought last year up into the stucco of the chimney on the outside of my Spanish-style house!

Old May 26th, 2000, 09:44 PM
Lorie

Sheila, <BR>I was in Aigua Blava, Llafranc, S'Agaro, and Tossa del Mar. All were wonderful, quaint and offered spectacular ocean views. In Aigua Blava, try the Hotel Aigua Blava. The owner is a gem. The property is truly wonderful. In S'Agaro, the Hostal de la Gavina was quite nice. It is a bit fancy (not for everybody) but is luxury at its best. Tossa del Mar is a charming coastal town. It offers quaint shops, seaside restaurants, and intimate hotels on the water. Llafranc is great for relaxing. The tree lined promenade is perfect for people watching and offers many hotels on the water. If you would like additional information you can e-mail me at: [email protected]. I'll be happy to share the details with you. By the way, if you're looking for a great mountain retreat, you must visit the Hotel Calitxo in Mollo. I was there in March and it was snowing. The views are unforgettable. I'm sure its just as lovely in summer months. The staff is warm and helpful, the grounds beatiful. In Barcelona, I suggest the Hotel Colon. It offers wonderful cathedral views (worth the extra money). In Madrid, try the Hotel Villa Real. What great service they offer! They are wonderfully located (near the Prado museum) and really know how to treat their guests. Shopping is wonderful in both Barcelona and Madrid. Leather shoes and bags are a must and can be found at real bargains. Also, not that you're in the market, but anything art deco (lighting, home accessories) can be found at great savings.

Old May 31st, 2000, 06:30 PM
Jay McBride

i will be in Madrid to Barcelona for week soon and am interested in interesting small towns to visitand overnight in along the way. Any thoughtds appreciated. J