Longchamp. Shopping. Where to purchase?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a Longchamp handbag that I would like to purchase. It is a French brand.

I would like to know where to purchase it at the lowest cost possible-- US, England, France (Paris), Switzerland (Bern), or Italy? I think it would be Switzerland because the exchange rate is favorable to US dollars.

Anyone with similar experience (same brand or different brands), share your insight, please
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:50 AM

I haven't done exhaustive research but as an example, Saks carries Longchamp in the 5th avenue store, and probably other locations. The price plus NYC sales tax was considerably higher compared to Paris.

I found the prices in Paris uniform from store to store but the best selection at the Longchamp boutiques, one in the 1st and one in the 6th on Rue du vieux-columbier. If your passport is outside the EU, you will get about 12% detaxe off the purchase price.

Big disappointment, but not unexpected, while the handbags are sold at the large department stores, Printemps, and I believe Galeries Lafayette, the Longchamp kiosk was a "point rouge," which means purchases are not eligible for the 10% tourist card discount.

This information is from three years ago.
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:16 AM

Bonjour, Yesterday we bought a couple of Lanchamps bags we have been looking at back home in Australia where they are sold in department stores. The A$ vs the Euro is about A$1 = 0.55 Euro and the retails in Galeries Lafayette were approx 30% less than equivlant after conversion, in Australia. Hope this helps.
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:53 AM

Magnum's in NY, www.magnums.net, has been having sales all spring. I recently purchased a Longchamps bag, no tax (I'm in CA), no shipping, 25% off list price.
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:24 PM

I bought Longchamps bags for my sisters in Paris during the soldes, in June - less than 1/2 price. I think orginally they were 325 euros and sale was 125 euros. Too good of a deal to pass up, even with a not-so-great exchange rate.

Happy Shopping!
Old May 17th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

I just looked at the Soldes date in June....they start around June 27.....that's the date I leave London for the US. What a loss It's going to be hard to go shopping knowing full well that I could have only paid for 1/2 the price....does that apply to all products, though?

Btw, there seems to be a few stores in Galeries Lafayette that sell LC. Any store in particular? Anitawarlow, were you able to get the 12% detaxe off? If Lafayette walkable from the Museum d'Orsay?

As for the stores on 1st and one in the 6th on Rue du vieux-columbier...I just checked the LC's official website and it shows that they no longer exist? There's one on 20th.....
http://www.longchamp.com/en/store-lo...CE&ville=PARIS

My time in Paris is limited and I am trying to make the best of it....I wonder which one I should go to?
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:08 AM

Switzerland is one of your tags, I suggest you not shop for it there. The Longchamp selection in Switzerland is not as good as it is in France (for obvious reasons).
I don't think you'll find any real savings in France--but what you will find is a much greater variety of models to choose from. You may find something you like even more than the model you're currently trying to buy. But before you head into a Longchamp store (the best place to buy any bag is at one of the brand's flagship stores), go to Printemps or Lafayette and look at the selection of other brands first--just in case you see something you end up liking better than Longchamp.

FYI, while shopping yesterday in Basel, I found a store selling current-model Ferragamo bags for 50% off!! (this is a reputable store that never sells knock-offs.) And another store offering 30% off the current model Armani, Prada and other designer brands. I was tempted, but...
Old May 17th, 2009, 05:57 AM

It is a very long walk from the Orsay to Galleries Lafayette. You should take the Metro from Solferino-line 12 to St. Lazare.

Thin
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:02 AM

The Longchamp store on rue du Vieux Colombier existed at the end of April; the big wooden door to the right of the store was the entrance to a passageway that led to a courtyard that led to our little vrbo apartment.
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:02 AM

On www.longchamp.com under "points de vente" the two Paris stores in Paris are shown.

You will get the detaxe back (ask for the forms to be completed) if you live outside the eurozone and spend more than 175 euros in one store.
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:20 AM

grandmere-Is it possible that you stayed at 21 rue du Vieux Colombier? We are renting from Francoise (vrbo #58971) and will be staying here for our upcoming trip to Paris. What did you think?

Sorry this is off subject....
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:36 AM

I own many Longchamp purses and bags because I fly to Europe everyweek for my job. I have found that either Paris or Rome(in regular department stores or boutiques), Stuttgart and Belgium (dutyfree) are the best places for purchase and selection.
Just an FYI-the Longchamps are NOT halfprice during the sales of January and July. They are usually the colors from the past season that they discount around a 1/4 of the original price.So if you always wanted the lemon yellow or eggplant color you will really score with the prices!
There are a few places in Paris that always offer 10% discounts for every color but I am sworn to secrecy on those places-sorry.
No matter what though-buying overseas in Euros is still alot cheaper than what you will spend in a US department store.My philosophy on buying Longchamps is "if you see the color or size you always wanted-buy it" as it may not be around again.Just last week in Paris I bought my daughter the medium long handle "vert green" purse-there were only 3 left at Printemps. Yet the Asian tour bus that came in to Printemps bought out all of the leather ones,etc while I was there, So see it-get it. Have fun!
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Forgot to add that BHV,Printemps and Galleries LaFayette along with smaller luggage stores would be your best bet for finding what you are looking for besides the main store by the Concorde metro stop.

Seriously, they are the best bags/purses for traveling.
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:41 AM

Why is the Longchamps purse so highly sought after?
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:08 AM

We were in Paris in June 2007 the day the sales began. We hit the Longchamp store early in the morning and it was packed! But we found several purses that we needed We went after styles that are not available here in the states, and were marked down. I believe they were the winter styles, for example one was navy blue leather. I think the sales begin on June 24th this year. When we were there last, some stores offered the sale price several days before the sale began.
Old May 17th, 2009, 03:04 PM

Passerine,
We will be in Basel in about 10 days. What is the name of the store with the great sale on Ferragamo bags?
Thanks.
Old May 17th, 2009, 03:13 PM

Having been to Paris many times, each time I have gone I bought a Longchamp bag. A girl can never have enough. I must have 15 bags now. Since I haven't been to Paris in a bit, I am usually buying them when I go on my cruise in Antigua. The store in St Maarten was closing when I was there in Dec 08 and they had really no inventory.
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:14 PM

"There are a few places in Paris that always offer 10% discounts for every color but I am sworn to secrecy on those places-sorry."

>>dutyfree -- are you kidding?!
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:19 PM

Hi, the one with the Ferragamo bags is Grieder, just off the Marktplatz. There were only a couple left and I suspect they won't last long. I believe it's a branch store--the main store is in Zurich (I think). The bag I looked at was 680 francs, marked down from 1360. I never see Ferragamo bags at the kind of reduction, made me wonder if there was a "back story" to those prices.
The other store that had 20-30% off its designer bags is next to the Louis Vuitton store. I walk past it all the time but I never remember its name...
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:30 AM

Any time I'm in Paris I always visit La Maroquinerie (30 Rue Tronchet) for bargains in designer bags. They stock Longchamps as well as a lot of other brands. Discounts vary from 10-50% and it's always packed with chic French ladies looking for good value. It's quite central and well worth a visit - www.lamaroquinerieparisienne.com .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -