Need some planning help please

Old Jun 14th, 2024, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some planning help please

It has been a long while (you'll know by one of my questions) since I've been in Germany. My wife has never been out of the States and we have a week (8/31 - 9/8 already aware we need 9/9 for 'recovery') to do something. I'm thinking of flying over to Munich but not sure if I should base from there or change it up. I do like other cities, and prefer older ones. So the questions -

Are there any "old school" hotels that still get that sack of fresh bread delivered early in the morning?
I can do everything small town also, this is about the atmosphere, the food, and the towns. Train is fine also. What suggestions do you have that we can manage to get put into a week?
Add whatever else is necessary.
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 07:52 AM

Midiwiz, I’ll be following your thread with interest as we’ll be right behind you ~ Oktoberfest late September.
The only extra we have definitely planned is a day trip to Berchtesgaden for the Eagles Nest.
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

i wanted to do Octoberfest and then saw the pricing was double and that called a stop to that one.
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 01:03 PM

I am no expert on Germany but we enjoyed the charming Rhine town of Bacharach. There are other towns along the Rhine that are also supposed to be lovely. We also visited Frankfurt and Berlin but I don't think they are what you are looking for, although Berlin's history is fascinating.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by midiwiz
i wanted to do Octoberfest and then saw the pricing was double and that called a stop to that one.
This thread in Air Travel may be of some interest:

Air tickets for "big event"
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 04:36 PM

Bavarian travel ideas

I've travelled a bunch in Europe and am not sure exactly what you are referring to concerning "sack of fresh bread" It's true that in most German hotels, you'll get a choice of reasonably fresh bread and or pastries, as part of a continental breakfast. This frequently includes some cold cuts and cheese. If you are the kind that must have an egg each morning, you may be in trouble and should discuss such expectations with any place you are staying. They know Americans can be eccentric, at times.

More to your point, Munich is an excellent city to visit and a fine base to do day trips to the rest of Bavaria. Lots of folks may ask why don't you do London/ParisRome/etc., but for my money Munich is a great destination. I'd plan at least two days to see the sites of the cities, and then a few day trips. Bercdesgarten/lake Koenig is a fine choice, followed by Fussen/Newschwanstein. You may also want to visit the insanely charming town of Rothenburg (ob der Tauber) Bad Tolz is likewise a lovely small city, and was the home of the german SS in WWII, and then their barrakcs became the center for US Army Special Forces during the cold war. South of much are a series of msallish lakes, which are very popular day trips for residents of Muncih. In that area is one of Ludwigs crazy palaces called Linderhof, which I loved to visit as a kid. Then west of the city is a large Lake Chiemsee with a beautiful castle on an island in the middle of the lake. To the east the gothic Cathedral in the city of Ulm is worth a look.

Finally, it is a bit of a heavy topic, but a visit to Dachau, is my only "must-see" recommendation. it was a notorious concentration camp, and the post-War Germans have put a lot of energy into converting this site into a very moving and poignant Holocaust memorial. Seriously, I very strongly suggest it.

As you can see, just do an internet search for "towns to visit in Bavaria" and you'll be rewarded with quite a list. The destinations are not only lovely, but the trip to and from passes through some of europe finest scenery. Renting a car will be needed for some, but not all of these suggestions.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 04:59 PM

To piggyback on danielgarner4901's very good response, I would recommend some of the other Bavarian cities nearby. They are easy access by train and you could do them as day trips. I am thinking particularly of Nürnberg (Nuremberg), Bamberg, Augsburg and Würzburg. Many here will recommend Rothenburg ob der Tauber, but I personally find it too touristed and if you want to see something similar, there is nearby Dinkelsbühl, which gets a fraction of the tourists (or see both). Nürnberg and Bamberg in particular press most people's buttons. The only one awkward by train is Rothenburg odT, but for all the others you could consider a Bayern Ticket for cheap travel for two of you or a small group.

Most German hotels put on a good spread for breakfast - fresh bread rolls are a given, and you mostly can get a boiled egg, although not fried / scrambled / poached, that's not a usual part of the deal. Sorry I don't have a hotel suggestion. I haven't been to Munich since about 1990, but lots of Fodorites will have been recently and will chime in here.

Lavandula
Old Jun 18th, 2024, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danielgarner4901
I've travelled a bunch in Europe and am not sure exactly what you are referring to concerning "sack of fresh bread" It's true that in most German hotels, you'll get a choice of reasonably fresh bread and or pastries, as part of a continental breakfast. This frequently includes some cold cuts and cheese. If you are the kind that must have an egg each morning, you may be in trouble and should discuss such expectations with any place you are staying. They know Americans can be eccentric, at times.

More to your point, Munich is an excellent city to visit and a fine base to do day trips to the rest of Bavaria. Lots of folks may ask why don't you do London/ParisRome/etc., but for my money Munich is a great destination. I'd plan at least two days to see the sites of the cities, and then a few day trips. Bercdesgarten/lake Koenig is a fine choice, followed by Fussen/Newschwanstein. You may also want to visit the insanely charming town of Rothenburg (ob der Tauber) Bad Tolz is likewise a lovely small city, and was the home of the german SS in WWII, and then their barrakcs became the center for US Army Special Forces during the cold war. South of much are a series of msallish lakes, which are very popular day trips for residents of Muncih. In that area is one of Ludwigs crazy palaces called Linderhof, which I loved to visit as a kid. Then west of the city is a large Lake Chiemsee with a beautiful castle on an island in the middle of the lake. To the east the gothic Cathedral in the city of Ulm is worth a look.

Finally, it is a bit of a heavy topic, but a visit to Dachau, is my only "must-see" recommendation. it was a notorious concentration camp, and the post-War Germans have put a lot of energy into converting this site into a very moving and poignant Holocaust memorial. Seriously, I very strongly suggest it.

As you can see, just do an internet search for "towns to visit in Bavaria" and you'll be rewarded with quite a list. The destinations are not only lovely, but the trip to and from passes through some of europe finest scenery. Renting a car will be needed for some, but not all of these suggestions.
I've done Dachau already, not something the wife will appreciate. Oh the "sack of fresh bread" the local baker would drop it off at the door at about 4am, the scent was amazing. I already know about the eggs and don't care about that. Although you've given me some food for thought on cities. Rothenburg sounds good. I'll take a look at some others.
Old Jun 18th, 2024, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lavandula
To piggyback on danielgarner4901's very good response, I would recommend some of the other Bavarian cities nearby. They are easy access by train and you could do them as day trips. I am thinking particularly of Nürnberg (Nuremberg), Bamberg, Augsburg and Würzburg. Many here will recommend Rothenburg ob der Tauber, but I personally find it too touristed and if you want to see something similar, there is nearby Dinkelsbühl, which gets a fraction of the tourists (or see both). Nürnberg and Bamberg in particular press most people's buttons. The only one awkward by train is Rothenburg odT, but for all the others you could consider a Bayern Ticket for cheap travel for two of you or a small group.

Most German hotels put on a good spread for breakfast - fresh bread rolls are a given, and you mostly can get a boiled egg, although not fried / scrambled / poached, that's not a usual part of the deal. Sorry I don't have a hotel suggestion. I haven't been to Munich since about 1990, but lots of Fodorites will have been recently and will chime in here.

Lavandula
some of those towns look interesting. less I have to look at renting a car the better LOL. I'll find the hotel, just needs to be a 'mom & pop' I travel for a living I don't need the massive corporate places.