Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need some basic info on Paris metro passes ..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 08:07 AM
Bob

If I have a metro pass (not carte orange), can I use this same pass if I switch from one line to another as I go from one point to another? <BR> <BR>Also, what is Line A? Is this part of metro system & can I use a pass on this line in getting around? <BR> <BR>Thx for your comments. <BR> <BR>Bob

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 08:14 AM
Meg

If I remember correctly, a pass is good for any line. <BR> <BR>I believe Line A is part of the RER - the regional transit that takes you outside of Paris. I remember getting on Line A or B or something for a trip outside of town. We had to go below the metro lines to get on it. <BR> <BR>I'm sure there's more advice available... Where's Elvira? She'd know.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 08:35 AM
elvira

I thought I answered this already, but it must have been one of those d**n flashbacks... <BR> <BR>The metro pass is good for days, not # of trains used, so you can take as many trains/buses you want every day. If you want to change trains, then look for the orange "correspondance" sign (underneath it will list the lines). <BR> <BR>The RER (which is the line A you mentioned, also lines B-D) is a suburban train. Once inside the city limits, it acts like a subway, and your pass will work (example: you can take the metro *or* Line B from Pont St Michel to Gare du Nord; each takes one ticket or will accept the pass). OUTSIDE the city limits, you need a separate ticket (for example, from les Invalides to Versailles is on the RER C - you have to buy a separate ticket, since you will be outside Paris city limits). <BR> <BR>This site has lots of info: <BR>http://www.ratp.fr/index_eng.htm

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 08:36 AM
elaine

This is a popular topic this week. <BR>Whether you have a ticket or a pass, a transfer (correspondance)within the metro system is all part of the same trip. Your ticket gets "used up" only when you exit the station turnstiles at your final destination. <BR>If you have a pass, the transfer doesn't matter really, you have unlimited trips for the day or the week or whatever as long as you stay in the zones that your pass covers. <BR>Switching from one metro line to another within the same trip, is still the same trip. <BR>The letters A-D refer to RER lines, the suburban train lines. At some stations within Paris, you can go from the metro system to the RER system. <BR>The bus, Metro and RER network are divided into 5 zones for the whole of the Paris region. Zones 1 and 2 correspond to the city of Paris itself and a little of the suburbs. WITHIN Paris, the same ticket/pass can be used for the Metro, buses and RER. Therefore, yes, you could use your pass on the RER. If you're going via RER outside the city, such as to Versailles, you'll have to buy the necessary separate ticket. <BR>Don't buy a pass to cover transport from the airport or Versailles - you are paying for days of zone 8 trips when you only need a couple of those trips. Pay for the airport bus or RER to places outside the city, separately. Buy a zone 1-2 pass, whether it's the Visite, Mobilis or CarteOrange. <BR>Elvira, am I right?

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 08:37 AM
elaine

oops, we passed in cyberspace