Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need some basic help with Paris metro ..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 03:13 AM
Bob

These are very basic Q's, I know, but I need clarification about a few things. <BR> <BR>If I use a metro ticket (not carte orange)on one metro line & I switch to another metro line will I need another ticket? Or does one ticket enable me to switch lines with no problem? <BR> <BR>Also, what is Line A? Is this part of the metro system & can I use a metro ticket on this line? <BR> <BR>I appreciate your help. <BR> <BR>Bob

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 04:22 AM
Lee

Bob: The Metro is essentially the subway system. You can use your Metro pass on any line, any color that you wish. For the "A" line that you mentioned, that refers to the "RER" and there are four lines, "A", "B", "C" and "D". This connects the Metro to above ground subway/train lines leading to areas outside of the inner city, like CDG airport or Versailles for example. The four RER lines require an additional ticket to use them. <BR> <BR>Hope that helps.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 05:52 AM
Jeff

To answer your other question: If you stay within the Metro system you can travel indefinately on one ticket. Just don't exit. If memory and spelling serves: Look for a "correspondence" to continue to the Metro line that shares the same stop; use a "sorte" to exit out of the Metro and onto the streets of Paris.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 07:50 PM
mickey

Bob, <BR>As long as you stay "underground" - Don't exit--- you can change trains for any destination. <BR>Remember when you are looking at a subway map - you must find where you want to exit and then follow your finger to the end of that line - the town or area that is at the end is also the name of the train you want to get on. <BR>It truly is very easy. <BR>Have fun. <BR>

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 12:29 PM
Bob Brown

Also, you can buy single tickets in groups of 10, called a carnet, for a pretty good discount (55 francs for 10 versus 8 ff for a single ticket). <BR>Just be sure you hang on to your <BR>cancelled ticket while riding. <BR>I understand the officials get bent out of shape if you are caught riding with no currently cancelled ticket in your possession. And watch out for guys pretending to read the route maps posted inside subway cars above the doors! <BR>My little map reader was a pickpocket. <BR>The ploy is to bump you as you enter the car while pretending to read the map. The bump is the distraction, and the fingers go for the left rear pocket. Most Americans, me included, announce their identity just by being there. They don't need to say a word! Shoes, clothes, haircut, manner of walking, hand movement, etc. give us away, even if we know where we are going and don't have that bug-eyed tourist look. <BR>The guy who targeted me had his moves down to a science. In one continuous motion, he moved into me just as I entered, fingered my pocket (so I was told by a witness who spoke English), and squeezed out the car doors just at they were closing. Had he taken my wallet (which he did not do), pursuit would have been impossible. He was gone, the doors were shut, and the train was in motion. <BR>Metro tickets are also good on buses. <BR>Each bus has a machine into which you insert your ticket for canceling. <BR>Somewhere in a guide book I read were the machine was a "composter". So the directions were to "composte your ticket."