Reload this Page >

need Rome & Venice hotel close to train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 11:26 PM
claudia

We are a family traveling by train and would like clean, safe hotels (private baths)near the station in Rome and Venice at reasonable price. Any suggestions (with web addresses if possible) <BR>thanks

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 01:08 AM
xxxxxx

IN Rome Hotel Medaterrianeo in Venice Hotel Bellini

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 01:27 AM
wendy

Rome- Mecenate Palace Hotel <BR>Venice- Hotel Sofitel

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 04:33 AM
elaine

Claudia <BR>the area immediately around the train station in Venice is in my opinion not the most attractive part of the city and it is not central for sightseeing. <BR>If you are concerned about transporting a lot of heavy luggage from the train station to your hotel, unless you use a hotel next door to the train station, I don't see how you will get all of it and your family to your hotel without using <BR>transportation (a boat) anyway, so you might as well stay on the boat (taxi or "bus") and go to a more central and charming area. <BR>If luggage is not the problem there is even less reason not to get on a vaporetto (water bus) and go quite near to any hotel you like, and you and your kids will love that first ride on the canal. <BR>There are many hotel suggestions on this forum, you can do a search on <BR>Venice hotel, you can look for a hotel <BR>at www.venere.it and ask for some opinions here. I also have a Venice file with some suggestions; if you'd like to see it, email me <BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 05:29 AM
elvira

We stayed at this hotel on a small side street within walking distance (no stairs, 10 minutes with luggage) of the train station. We booked thru <BR>http://www.guestinitaly.com/hvenice.htm <BR> <BR>ALBERGO S. LUCIA * <BR>Calle Misericordia, 358 <BR>The hotel is located on a peaceful side street near the "zoo" area along Lista de Spagna, which runs from the train station. The rooms are all good sized, light and quiet, ensuring visitors a peaceful night's rest. <BR> Breakfast can be served inside in a tiny breakfast room with four tables, or on the front patio, which is shielded from the street and pedestrians by an ivy covered fence bordered by flower beds. <BR> <BR>double room ITL 190,000 <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Howard

I'll also recommend the Bellini Hotel in Venice. <BR>And, from my experience, that location is not as inconvenient as Elaine says. Sure, I'll admit that there are more convenient locations, but it was very nice to get off the train and--after having that thrilling experience of the first sighting of the Grand Canal as we left the station--to be able to walk to the nearby hotel with our luggage (and similarly when leaving). <BR>We walked everywhere from there--St. Mark's include. In fact, in three days, we never took any public transportation. Oh sure, we got lost, but you're supposed to get lost in Venice!