Reload this Page >

Need romantic place near Dusseldorf for 10th anniversary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 11:58 PM
Anna

Still working hard daily on plans for our first trip in 3 years. We will be flying into Dusseldorf on May 1st and May 2nd is our 10th wedding anniversary. <BR><BR> I want very much to be someplace beautiful, romantic and special on our anniversary. So I am looking for some town or area between Dusseldorf and Brugge (where we are first headed on your 3 week trip) that will be special. After Brugge we want to come back to Germany to see Mosel and Rhine river areas (but Brugge has been a place I've wanted to go for 10 years so we will go further just to see it for some days). We will probably be driving. We like nature and the outdoors and older "quaint" places (towns/cities). Don't like crowds much or night life. Does anyone have suggestions please?

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Georgine

Dear Anna,<BR><BR>I can't imagine a more enchanting or romantic spot than the Kasteel Wittem . It would be directly on your route between Dusseldorf and Brugge.<BR><BR>You can find information at: <BR> http://www.kasteel-wittem.nl<BR><BR>It is a magnificient medevial castle, surrounded by an ancient moat and a picturesque park, The web site pictures do not do it full justice.<BR><BR>We stayed in the round tower room that had a lace-curtain-enclosed bed and a huge bath with tub (big enough for two) that overlooked the moat where black and white swans floated.<BR><BR>Casteel Wittem provides a truly refined experience. Upon arrival, after taking the luggage to our room, they offered us apertives in the library , along with varieties of cigars from an ancient humidor. Male staff always dressed in tuxedos. Dinner and breakfast meals that were an experience in themselves.<BR><BR>If you book, be certain to tell them it is your anniversary and you will receive <BR>"special treatment"---do request the tower room. <BR><BR>Happy anniversay!

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 07:11 AM
wes fowler

Anna,<BR>Kasteel Wittem is only about 60 miles and an hour's drive from the Dusseldorf airport. Georgine's suggestion is an excellent one.<BR><BR>If you'd prefer to get somewhat closer to Brugge and stay at a historic chateau rather than a castle, you might check the website:<BR><BR>http://www.chateaudupontdoye.be <BR><BR>Located in Habay-la-Neuve it's about 155 miles from Dusseldorf and a 2 1/2 hour drive

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Steve Curry

<BR>South of D'dorf on the Rhine is the lovely picturesque village of St. Goreshaven.<BR><BR>There's a really cool castle you can stay in that overlooks the town/river/valley. They'll even pick you up at the train station.