Need quick help with Spain Itinerary

Jan 29th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Need quick help with Spain Itinerary

Hi-My daughter is in Seville and my husband and I were able to book free tix to go visit. We can get away for about a week and cannnot fly directly into Seville-at least for free. We can fly into Madrid (easiest for our daughter to meet us) or Barcelona or Lisbon (I know, not Spain). We can fly out of Madrid or Barcelona. We will be in Spain from Thursday the April 6th through the 12th which overlaps with Semana Santa.

Can anyone help us with itinerary-we have until tomorrow at midnight to make any changes in our flights without a charge. Right now, we are flying in and out of Madrid.

Thanks bunches
Jan 29th, 2006, 09:10 AM

If you stay with flying in and out of Madrid, then you can take the train, the AVE, to Sevilla. It's the simplest way if you don't want to fly down.
Jan 29th, 2006, 10:33 AM

If you are interested in the religious aspect of Semana Santa, the processions and parades of the South are spectacular. Seville, Cordoba and Granada are the big 3 cities, and you could keep yourself plenty busy for 1 week. For a less “sights” focused trip, the beaches of the Cadiz area are wonderful and the White Villages are charming. Beware because Semana Santa draws big crowds, hotels will be full and driving can be hectic as streets are closed off to traffic. If you do go south, be sure to reserve your Alhambra (Granada) tickets beforehand: www.alhambratickets.com/

Buen viaje!
Jan 29th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Would you recommend basing ourselves around Seville over basing ourselves around Madrid-my daughter has the week off and can travel.
Jan 29th, 2006, 01:34 PM

i would let your daughter see more of spain if that is what she wants to do.
there is plenty to do in and around madrid for your four days.

toledo, segovia.. a few nice meals in madrid, and museums/shopping.

it might also be difficult to get nice lodging in sevilla for those dates.

it seems wise to keep your flights in and out of madrid for the ease with which you or your daughter can get together in either place.
Jan 29th, 2006, 02:45 PM

Flying in/out of Madrid is probably the best choice given your options.
The AVE train to Sevilla is only 2.5 hours each way and about 65 Euro each way for 2nd class tickets. It's a very easy trip, easier than flying.

Semana Santa in Sevilla is incredible and if you can can reserve decent lodging you should try to go. If you can get a hotel in the center then you can walk everywhere you need to go.

What if you spend a few days in Madrid and then a few days in Sevilla so you can experience Semana Santa and see where your daughter is living and going to school?
Either have your daughter meet you in Madrid and then go back to Sevilla with her, or reverse it and meet her in Sevilla.

I spent time in both Madrid and Sevilla in October on a trip with my Mother. If you'd like to see my trip, go to
http://www.wired2theworld.com or read my trip report here on Fodors.

Have fun!