Reload this Page >

Need packing suggestions for trip to France Sept 9-18

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Jackie

Will be in Villefranche sur Mer, Avignon and Paris. Historically, what kind of weather can I expect at this time of year? Do I need a jacket (i.e., leather jacket) or is a sweater goign to be enough? Will it be shorts weather on the Riviera?

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Historically

historically, you're going to need that leather jacket, though it's so heavy you're going to hate me for having said so. You should find a lighter-weight alternative.<BR><BR>Shorts are never that cool on the Riviera, unless you are crass Americans. Linen capris are the way to go if you want to be *in*.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 07:05 AM
topper

topper

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Christina

I've been in Avignon and Nice at that exact same time and you did not need a leather jacket at all, it was quite warm. During the day, it was warm but nice (not hot), just about perfect weather actually. IN the evening, it cooled down a very little, but even then nothing more than a sweater (if that) was required. I suppose you could have worn shorts on the Riviera, sure -- it was probably 75-85 in daytime when I was there. Some people were even in swimsuits on the Nice "beach" (not sure what they call that as it isn't really a beach being rocky) but it wasn't crowded, most people were walking on the boardwalk or around town.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:34 AM
elvira

In my trips to Paris at that time of year, I find a lightweight wool blazer to work well. AND an umbrella. A large challis scarf or a pashmina worn over the blazer adds extra warmth, and can be draped over your shoulders in a chilly restaurant.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Melissa

Hi, I plan to be in Paris at the end of September then moving on to Provence (early October). Since I have to carry this stuff any suggestions on what I really will need to wear and what I can do without?