Reload this Page >

Need more help with Tuscan Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 08:14 AM
Lisa Peretz

Please let me know if you think this is a feasable day, timewise: Depart San Gimignano in the morning, stop off in Colle Val D'elsa and spend the better part of the day in Siena where we would spend the night? <BR> <BR>Please advise on these options: We're looking to soak up a lot of atmosphere. <BR>Hotel Borgo Pretale <BR>Certosa Maggiano <BR>Park Hotel <BR>Villa Scacciapensieri <BR>La Suvera <BR>Chiusarelli <BR>Pensione Ravissa <BR> <BR>Thanks so much for your advice and patience..

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 10:27 AM
Marija

Villa Scacciapensieri is several miles from the center of Siena, not within walking distance. (It's a nice hotel with pretty gardens.) You have to take a bus into the city since parking is impossible in Siena. That means it's a hassle if you want to go back to your room. Siena is lovely at night when many of the tourists have left but you'll have to take a taxi back to the hotel since buses stop running at night. We had trouble getting a cab late at night in the rain. We're going back to Siena in the fall but are definitely staying in the city even though the hotels outside are much nicer. <BR>

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 11:46 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Lisa, I have seen both of your postings <BR>and I think you are over planning. I would skip Lucca this trip and you can do all of the rest from one location. <BR>I vote for San Gim. as your base camp <BR>and I would suggest the Villa San Paolo <BR>just outside of town or the Antico Pozzo <BR>in town. You can also do this trip from <BR>a single location in Chianti and if so <BR>I would suggest Tenuta Ricavo. All of the rest is within an hours drive. No <BR>need to move around.

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 12:41 PM
Paulo

Bob is right ... if you skip Lucca you may do all you intend (and some more) using a single base! <BR> <BR>Should this be the case, though, I would never choose San G. as this base. For using as a base my vote will always go to Siena ... a real city, with life and traditions of its own ... Piazza del Campo or Piazza della Cisterna at dusk and down? Via di Citta and Via Banchi di Sotto or ... what's the name of the just about only street in town? There are no terms of comparison. After one night in San G. the other two should be quite boring! <BR>Our choice hotel in Siena is the Chiusarelly. All the ammenities, very easy to get to, easy parking, conveniently located, relatively cheap ... it doesnt have that much character, though (no nonsense type of hotel). <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 02:27 PM
RJD

You might try the Villa Belvedere just outside Coll Val D'elsa. Very pretty and lovely accomdations. You can easily drive to either San Giminiano or Siena. Incidentally I drove into Siena a lot during last June. There's parking around the Fortezza, which is only a short, charming walk from the main square.