Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need itinerary advice regarding Ibiza and Gibraltar

Apr 22nd, 2015, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be traveling by boat (a business trip- set in stone) from Gibraltar to Ibiza in early October. We were thinking of tacking on a few days to one of these locations or something else nearby. From reading posts on the forum, I'm guessing that most would recommend Ibiza over Gibraltar, especially since we should have time to see the rock, monkeys and tunnels anyway. However, by the time we reach Ibiza, the clubs will be closed and the weather may be too cool for beach time. So, I'm thinking about spending two or three nights somewhere near Gibraltar at the beginning, then driving back and walking over the border to embark on the boat trip. Any suggestions? We're in our 50's and enjoy the dining, history, culture and active aspects of travel.
Apr 22nd, 2015, 09:18 AM

Frankly, when we were on Ibiza I did not find a lot of "culture" in the stereotypical sense and although I have never been to Gilbraltar I keep reading so many posts about how it just isn't worth seeing. Of course, seeing that rock from a distance must be quite a sight.
Apr 22nd, 2015, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Dukey1. Yes, we enjoy that kind of "culture" too! It looks like Marbella is still nice at the beginning of October - -maybe we should spend a few days there before Gibraltar....
Apr 22nd, 2015, 10:32 AM

How are you getting to Gib ? flying directly into it from the UK ? or flying into Malaga ? If flying directly in, I would simply stay there and have a look around. There are problems going both in and out. If flying into Malaga, look around Malaga and Marbella before going to Gib. This way you'll only have to cross that border once. On arrival in Ibiza, have a look around that and then fly or ferry on to Barcelona for good food, nightlife, and culture.
Apr 22nd, 2015, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

We are in the process of booking flights. Looks like we could fly in to Malaga or Gib. Point well taken about flying in to Gib and then leaving and returning (although maybe we could walk out and back in if we don't have too much luggage?....) So, maybe we fly in to Malaga, spend three days in Marbella, then drive in to Gibraltar. Or, sounds like you recommend tacking Barcelona on at the end instead. Neither of us has ever been to Spain, so maybe we should do that.