Need Info on UK Transportation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please direct me to sites more on how to's in UK... like if I want to go from point A to point B.
Since I will be staying at The Sheraton Skyline, I'd like to know if I have to go to Heathrow Train Station (does this mean this is at the airport?) to go to London center and Victoria Station or there are other ways which may be even faster. Does US$50 to London Center from Sheraton Skyline sound high or low or just about right for taxi? If I'm not mistaken the hotel has free shuttle rides to HR? If so, then that would be my start point to go places?
Thank you.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:23 AM

This site will help if you are using the tube or bus: http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...T2?language=en

Keith
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Look in the London Superthread for all sorts of maps and navigational aids.

The fastest way to get from the airport to London is the Heathrow Express (train service in to Paddington station). If you don't have luggage, the Tube to Victoria Station on the Circle Line is convenient.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:44 AM

...but the Bus is more fun. The 705 is an express that goes right from door to door.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 09:18 AM

There is a great deal of helpful information at the Heathrow website:

http://www.baa.co.uk/main/airports/heathrow/
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Everybody has given you good info/sites. But about your question re the cost of a cab. No - $50 would not be reasonable, it would be a miracle - count on more like £50 into London if there is any sort of traffic. Could be a teensy bit less, or it could be a good deal more if there is bad congestion.

From your other thread you are staying several days at the Skyline because you got a deal. Well - the Heathrow Express others mentioned will cost each of you £15 every time you go into the city - and that only gets you to Paddington station, and from there it is usually a long taxi or tube ride to get to most of the major tourist sites. And then you have to get back to the hotel - you will be paying more in transport than your hotel costs.

Or you can take the bus to the airport and catch the tube into London - only about £4 each but it will take up to an hour each way depending on where you are going in London.

That bargain hotel will end up costing you a LOT more in time and money going back and forth to London.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Perfect!! Just what I needed.
Thank you all
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Janis and the rest: What about a US$151/night hotel at The Park Lane in Piccadily? Would that be more practical?
Our IT: (starting point from Sheraton Skyline in LHR)
<u>March 17</u>: We go to Harrod's Dept Store, Burberry and surrounding area (yes, jet lag does not bother me when it comes to shopping). I'm just looking, ok?! That's how I'll stretch after the long ride from Las Vegas.
<u>March 18</u>: We go to Victoria Coach Station to meet our tour guide to Stonehenge.
<u>March 19</u>: We go to see Leeds Castle (do on our own).
<u>March 20</u>: First we go to Hilton Olympia for hotel transfer, then leave our luggage so we can proceed to Warwick Castle (do on our own).

So if we stayed at Sheraton Skyline, would we still be saving vs staying at the Park Lane Hotel? (in terms of adding all transport costs) $49 vs $151 per night. If travel time 1 way to London Center is 1.5 hours, we'll live with it.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

oh also, will I need a &quot;pass&quot; of some sort for this kind of IT? Maybe while in London center, we will be bus hopping to go around and sight see. Or am I better off just getting point to point tickets?
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 11:04 AM

You mentioned you were looking at a hotel on a budget. I may have mentioned this on your other thread but I would recommend you at least have a look at Priceline to get a good deal. You may well get a 4* hotel at not much more than half the price of the hotel you are looking at. That would seem the most practical solution seeing as the actual hotel you stay in seems less important to you.

I think your tentative itinerary is even more reason to stay more central, particularly if to get out of London on your away days you are going to pass through London first by staying at LHR.

Would you really live with 1.5 hours each way? Three hours per day.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 11:32 AM

Have you considered a BritRail London Plus Pass? Since you're going to buy train tickets to get to places like Leeds and Salisbury, you might come out ahead by staying at the $49 hotel and using the pass for all your rail travel, including riding the Heathrow Express (15 minutes to Paddington) to get to London and your other destinations. Here's the link:

<b>http://www.britrail.com/cf_britrail/britrail_tickets_content.cfm#southeast</b>
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

The reason why we go to Sheraton or Westin is because my husband gets employee discounts. Rates are very good for a 4-5 star. Where2travel, it might be someone else?
As for 1.5 hrs, well it's bad for an 18 mile stretch - but I'm just pretending that if I commute to work then it's common. Besides it's only 3 days.
No one has commented yet if The Park Lane is a good location? I'm thinking of doing that possibility... Please help (see my IT). Thanks.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 11:47 AM

&gt;As for 1.5 hrs, well it's bad for an 18 mile stretch - but I'm just pretending that if I commute to work then it's common. Besides it's only 3 days.&lt;
Because it's only 3 days is precisely why you shouldn't spend so much time simply travelling to the sites and to your departure points. You have a very limited time in which to see things.

The Park Lane (Sheraton I'm assuming) is in a far more convenient location in Mayfair. The reviews on Trip Advisor are mixed... but so are the reviews for the Sheraton Skyline.

It doesn't seem that you understand the transportation in London. Most people use the Tube and bus system. You can take the tube from Heathrow although it is a fairly lengthy trip.
Once in the city, if you cannot walk to a site you would likely take either the tube or bus and you can buy passes that will work on both, for varying numbers of days.
Are you spending any time in London other than the day of arrival? Every other day you seem to be going outside the city.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 12:42 PM

You are really not saving anything staying out at LHR - but if that's what you insist on doing - you really need to re-think what/where you are doing.

There is really no convenient or fast way to get to either Victoria Coach station or Waterloo (for Leeds castle). And then you are traveling out to Leeds and to Stonehenge. On both of these days you will literally spend more time traveling than seeing anything.

I am wondering why you are even going to London since you aren't going anywhere except Harrods and Burberry.

When is this trip? Because the main reason to go to Leeds castle is its garden in the Spring/Summer. It is really not a &quot;must&quot; sort of place. If gardens are your thing - then Kew would be better and it is MUCH closer to LHR. or Hampton Court Palace - better building than Leeds and terrific gardens and also much nearer to LHR.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 12:50 PM

I agree with the other posters about the distance from LHR being to far to travel everyday, but I'm wondering why you're going to Burberry when you live in? or are at least laid over in Las Vegas? There is a Burberry in the Venetian.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 01:55 PM

I'm unable to keep up with JC4Unl's plans (and why does any American want to waste time at Burberry's?)

BUT. If you really want to go both to Stonehenge and Leeds Castle, two crucial things:
1. They're both in the top 5 most disappointing sites in Britain. But, if you're researched them and know what you're doing:
2. THE absolute most convenient base for getting to both of them (if you want to get to both) is a hotel at Heathrow, PROVIDED THAT you hire a car and drive to them yourself. It's about 90 mins in moderately busy traffic to each place. Heathrow's roughly equidistant from each, and the drive from it to each of these places is as painless as it gets here.

OTOH, if you're using public transport or a tour from Victoria, Heathrow has to be about the worst possible place (though admittedly slightly more convenient than Novosibirsk) to start from.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 02:09 PM

I see absolutely <u>nothing</u> wrong with using Heathrow as a base from which to explore the southeast (especially for $49 a night!)

Listen up: if you save $400 staying at LHR instead of downtown, then a 4-day BritRail London Plus Pass that will get you to <b>anywhere on this map

http://www.britrail.com/fenetre_mapSoutheastPass.html

<i>and</i></b> get you back and forth between Heathrow and Paddington in 15 minutes is a bargain at $129. Getting across London to the other train stations takes 20 minutes on the Tube and costs &pound;1.70 each way.

I say GO FOR IT!
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Burberry stores here have limited selection plus it's made in London so it's a must for me. ... same as when I go to Paris I must go to LV store... Switzerland - Rolex... Italy - Armani... Please don't ask me why.
Anyway, our land tour will show us London and I took extra days before the land tour to see outside of London which are not included. We've nver seen castles, so that should be interesting. That's why in my other thread I asked if seeing one castle is good enough. I guess the public ride would be an experience since we normally drive around in a car here. I want to have a taste of &quot;inconvenience&quot; perhaps? cause we are so blessed here with the convenience to go anywhere at anytime.
UK was not really in our list but because of the dates we had to fly out to get the $554 (in LHR out FCO) from Las Vegas and our Land Tour doesn't start until March 21st, we had those extra days. This trip would just be a prelude of UK. If the people are nice, then we'll be back for more in depth meaningful tours/sightseeing. Actually, that's why I had to ask here
because this is no way commercial so I get honest opinions. I can only base my decisions on places through pictures in the internet and of course that's advertising. I truly appreciate all your HO's so I can have a better idea of what to expect and plan accordingly. Based on flanneruk's advise, I will dump Leed's (can't Stonehenge cause I already booked with Evan Evans) and still see Warwick. So what would you guys suggest for replacement? - I have 1 more day... I almost thought of Edinburgh Castle... far far away... what would be a good one to go to so we're not disappointed?
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 03:14 PM

JC4Unl some of your statements are a bit odd - like wanting to use public transport for a taste of &quot;inconvenience&quot;. Believe me, if you were to have a car in London THEN you'd know the meaning of the word &quot;inconvenience&quot;!!! Public transport there is far from inconvenient - it is the easiest way to get around.
If you load up on castles, what about going to Windsor as a day trip? Closer than Leeds - you can take a short train ride there on your own. The castle is interesting and the town is also lovely.

BUT - are you sure there aren't things in London that you might want to see that your &quot;ground tour&quot; won't show you? It might be preferable to forgo so much castle viewing in favour of seeing more London sights.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

no offense meant... but for us being in differnt worlds - not being able to drive anywhere anytime would mean inconvenience because alternative would be a public bus that only come very ltd and if you miss it, wait for another hour? so on and so forth. I am only speaking of what we don't normally do here.
Specifically that 18 mile stretch w/c takes you 1.5 hours, that is something. I wouldn't do that everyday. I know UK's public system is advanced and systematic but we're just used to driving a car here, that's all.
Taggie, what else do you suggest we see in London? These were what was mentioned in our tour: Tower of London and Tower Bridge, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, and whatever we see on our way to Dover (and they said others).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -