Need ideas for places to stay between London and the Lake District

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be driving down from Keswick around May 22nd or 23rd. we are looking for two places to stay on our way to london--we rather not have a big city, but something withcharming/interesting/ and/or scenary

where would it be nice to spend the nite between the Lake District and Welshpool, Powys? (it is west of shrewsbury).

We want to spend another nite between Welshpool and London.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 08:05 PM

Well, there are so many possibilities between Keswick and Welshpool, I am partial to the center of Chester, but you may not want a large city. there are also suburbs of Manchester, like Knutsford, Wilmslow and Alderley Edge, which I found quite attractive.

Welshpool, where we stayed at a National Trust house for a week in the middle of Powys Castle Gardens, is a pleasant little town, but you probably already know that, and I hope you are planning a visit to the Castle and Gardens, one of the best in the world, IMHO. That was one of our all time best experiences. I'll send you some photos if you'd like, though I'm not sure I know how to post them on this site.

There's a great little restaurant in Welshpool, (well, 2 years ago,) it's just a store front, called The Corn Store on Church St. (do not be put off by the name, we were for 3 days, and finally REALLY took a look, and it was so superb we went back.)

Sorry I can't really tell you an exact place to stop for the night en route, (most of the places I know are too close to Welshpool.)

If you have time, and if it is a Wednesday, try to go to a Welsh men's Choir rehearsal. Most towns have them, and there is one on Wednesday evenings at 8 in a town about 10 miles West of Welshpool called"LLanfair Careinion" (close approximation to the real spelling.) The Tourist office went to a lot of trouble for us,to locate this very Welsh event, and it was so worth while, we were in tears with the power of the voices, and the warmth with which we were received in a simple high school classroom for this extraordinary experience.

As to the night between Welshpool and London, again too many choices, but I would not be able to stay away from Oxford, or any little town nearby. I would HAVE to repeat our nights at the Old Parsonage, right in town, despite the fact that I'm sure the prices have risen. Divine hotel in every respect.

Sorry to go on and on, but I love the area, and if you want more ideas, give me some thoughts about what you've already seen and done, and what you like.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 08:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I honestly wouldn't stay anywhere <i>between</i> the two - I'd stay in or near Welshpool.

It is an easy drive as far as Chester, spend 2 or 3 hours exploring Chester and then it is only about 40 more miles (about an hour) to Welshpool. I'm all for traveling slow -- but not for adding stops where they aren't really needed.

Now IF you had 3 days instead of 1, I'd head west into North Wales. Conwy, Snodonia, etc. But w/ just one overnight - I'd just go to Welshpool.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 09:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
For a night between Welshpool and London . . .

Oxford is great - but the car makes things a bit problematic. It isn't an easy place to drive in or through.

But staying someplace nearby - like Woodstock, or Burford would be perfect. Nice little towns (villages really) w/ choices of accommodations, pubs and places to eat but w/i easy reach of Oxford if you want to see it. Both are in or on the edge of the Cotswolds. Then you could either drop the car at Oxford (most rental agencies are in the close-in suburbs, not in the city centre), taxi to the train station and go into London. OR - actually just as fast/easy, drive to LHR, drop the car there and take public transport into the city.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

thank you for your 2 answers. we were just planning to stop around welshpool to pickup something,but now we will spend the night there.
i found 2 b&bs:
Forest Country House 3 miles outside of Kerry
Traethllawn B&B
do you know them? is one a better location? any other recommendations?

We've been to oxford before and wld prefer to be more in the country. i checked out Burford on the map and it does not seem to be on a direct route from welshpool to london. is it out of the way?
any other ideas for a stop?
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 07:21 PM

I agree with Janisj that I'd opt to stay in Welshpool area as long as possible, as there is a lot to see in that area.

Each of those B & B's have their strengths tho I don't know them personally. The Forest Country house looks quite elegant, but the location of the Traethllawn B & B right in Welshpool seems more convenient. and Parking in this town should not be the problem it admittedly would be in Oxford.
Try one of the smaller towns that janisj suggest that are nearby Oxford, like Burford or Woodstock. Lovely English villages.