Reload this Page >

Need ideas for 3 day side trip from London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Tim

Will be in London in May and have a Monday through Thursday slot open for a side trip before we leave. Some places considered are Edinburg, Bruges or somewhere within England. A cozy, touristy place would be fine. Would rather go by train, not fly or drive. Have only been to London and Paris previously.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 09:52 AM
emma

So many wonderful possibilities! Bath, an easy train ride away, is an incredible small city/large town with topography, architecture, and history all in its favor. If you're a fan of All Things Georgian, Bath is the place! Listed buildings are moderate priced hotels/B&Bs in convenient locations. Try the French restaurant on the Putney Bridge. <BR> <BR>If you'd rather see the way the English spend their summer holidays, go the Brighton for its wacky Pavilion, museum, etc. Stay at the Three Ships, an ancient coaching inn (but now, blessedly, all mod cons). Walk along the pier, great pubs, light-hearted holiday-makers all around you (unlike the dead-earnest English folks you'll see elsewhere). <BR> <BR>Into King Arthur? Glastonbury ruins and Tor are fascinating, and the countryside is refreshing. Wish I could remember the name of the old farm B&B--it's a few miles from town, but within sight of the Tor. Spacious, friendly, good cooking, highly recommended. The George in town, adjacent to the ruins of the abbey, was used by medieval pilgrims! It's a must for a drink or a snack just to say you've been there too. <BR> <BR>If only I ever had 3 "extra" days when I'm in England. I hope you'll take advantage of some of these ideas! Pleasant journey!

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 05:22 PM
arjay

Funny thing about peoples' perceptions, isn't it? Given the glimpses we've had of British seaside resort life - it's the last thing I'd recommend. We found it drab and depressing. <BR> <BR>The Cotswolds? Such charming little villages (a bit overrun during the day time, but lovely in the evening when the tour buses pull out). A search would pull up tons of info here. We enjoyed headquartering in the town of Stow on the Wold (in a quirky little B&B called Top of the Wold). <BR> <BR> <BR>Brugge is beautiful (we just got back), but with only three days why spend that travel time?

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 05:23 PM
arjay

ooops - I'm guilty of not reading carefully enough. Hard to explore the Cotswolds w/o a car, I guess.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Rene

We spent 4 days in York a 2 hour trip by train (departs from Kings Cross station) We stayed at Hazelwood BnB, about 5 min walk to the minster. Castle museum, Train museum worthwhile. Also lots of shops, Bettys for tea, walks along castle walls. E mail me if you want more info