Reload this Page >

Need ideas for 2nd half of Scotland trip in May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 05:57 PM
Barbara

After leaving Edinburgh, would like ideas for base(s) to see western coast (Skye) and northern Highlands. Will have 10 days left in plans before leaving from Heathrow. Prefer B&Bs or country hotels at rates 75 pounds per night per room (2 nonsmoking adults). Want to spend 3 to 4 in each. But want to be able to drive around radius and see sites. Would love to hear from Sheila and her wonderful itineraries. Do you need more info, Sheila? Thanks for all your help.

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 04:27 AM
frank

Depends whether you like walking or history or pubs, you will also have to be flexible because of the weather - if it's fine, you may never want to see a town! <BR>End if May is a good time as it will never settle bad then, at worst it will be changeable.Bring waterproof boots,peat retains water,even walking in fine weather you need them. <BR> Oban is a fine town, good base for exploring Argyll & ferries to the inner Hebrides, plenty of country house hotels,the local tourist office has a big book with photos. <BR>South of Oban, Visit Crinan, at the end of the Crinan canal.The Cainbaan Hotel is good,it's beside the main road where the turnoff for Crinan is.There are a number of interesting archaelogical sites about a mile to the North on the main road, sone circles,also Dunadd, where our ancient kings were crowned. <BR> <BR>Best base in Skye is Portree.If you'd rather stay on the mainland I recommend Plockton.Note that there is now a toll bridge to the "Isle" of Skye. <BR> <BR>Further North on the mainland, Ullapool is a good base. <BR> <BR>On the way back, why not visit Glasgow. <BR> <BR>More itineraries,accom. etc: (I recommend this site)- <BR>http://www.scotland-inverness.co.uk/scotland.htm <BR> <BR>Bed & breakfast - I prefer to wait until I get to a place I fancy then look for B&B signs rather than book "blind". <BR>However,its always handy to have a list in your pocket in case you get stuck : <BR>http://www.b-and-b-scotland.co.uk/ <BR> <BR>If you go to Glasgow- <BR>http://www.in-glasgow.net/whatson.shtml <BR>this guide only covers a fraction of what goes on but it's start. <BR>The bistro in the back of the Drum & Monkey bar does a good 3 courses for £16, upmarket try the Gamba for seafood.

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 08:04 AM
Barbara

Frank, <BR>Thanks for all wonderful info. Have already checked your recommended sites, and they were great.

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 11:41 AM
Sheila

My 10 days would be something like <BR> <BR>Day 1:- Edinburgh to Oban <BR>Day 2:- Oban to Lochboisdale(S Uist-Outer Hebrides) <BR>Day 3:- up through the Uists to catch a ferry to Harris <BR>Day 4:- up to Stornoway. Evening ferry to Ullapool. <BR>Day 5:- Ullapool to Durness via the west and Lochinver <BR>Day 6:- Durness to Ullapool via Lairg <BR>Day 7:-Ullapool to Applecross <BR>Day 8:-Applecross to Skye <BR>Day 9:-Skye <BR>Day 10:- <BR>Skye to Glasgow. <BR> <BR>But I realise that's not what you asked for. <BR> <BR>So how about <BR>Day 1 Edinburgh to Oban via Callander, Crianlarich, Loch Awe. Stay near Oban. <BR>Day 2 south to Kilmartin and Crinan, Kilmelford and Seil Island <BR>Day 3 trip to Mull <BR>Day 4 drive north to Skye via Ardnamurchan and Mallaig, where you catch the ferry to Armadale. Stay near Portree. <BR>Day 5 visit the north half of the island <BR>Day 6 visit North Uist <BR>Day 7 visit the south half of the island on your way to Gairloch or Poolewe, or Kinlochewe <BR>Day 8 Drive up to Ullapool and out to Achiltibuie <BR>Day 9 Go round Torridon as far as Applecross <BR> <BR>Day 10 drive south to Glasgow via Invergarry, Fort William, Ballachulish, Glen Coe, Crianlarich, Arrochar and Loch Lomond. <BR> <BR>If that sound interesting I'll put sme flesh on the bones for you <BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 03:26 PM
Barbara

Response to Sheila <BR> <BR>Sounds wonderful. If we rent a car in Edinburgh, can we return it in Glasgow, with a fee? In your spare moments, can you flesh out with some suggested sights and lodging locales? All help is so appreciated.

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 07:27 AM
Sheila

There should be no problem with your car rental scheme. If you use one of the bigger firms I do not think they will charge extra <BR>Day 1 Edinburgh to Oban via Callander, Crianlarich, Loch Awe. Stay near Oban. The route follows the river Forth to Stirling, which you could stop in to see the castle if you want. The other main "sight" there is the field of the Battle of Bannockburn of 1314, when we beat the English. Then follow the A84 to Callendar. Here you are on the edge of the Trossachs. The town is a bit touristy but nice with it. You then go through the Pass of Leny- nice waterfalls- and carry on up past Balquhidder, which is Rob Roy country, and Lochearnhead, to Lix toll. You can go up the road to the Braes of Balquhidder, and take a turnoff to go down the loch side a bit, and when you get to Lix the 2 miles down to killin at the head of Loch Tay is worth it if only for the Falls of Dochart. <BR> <BR>Back on the A85 you, are now seriously in the Highlands. You drive through Glen dochart to Crianlarich, which is a bit of a dive, then on the A82 to Tyndrum where the road forks. Go through Glen Lochy to Dalmally and across the head of Loch Awe. You are passing below Ben Cruachan and you drive into the Pass of Brander. There is a visitor place to let you see the big Hydro Electric power plant which is built inside the mountain here. It’s then just a few miles on to Oban, which is a big market town set around a bay. There’s a cracking folly- McCaig’s Folly on top of the hill and the boats leave here for most of the Inner and Outer Isles. Big range of shops. Lots of places to eat and sleep. If I were doing this, I would stay at Port Appin, which is a little village on Loch Linnhe about 25 miles north of Oban, at a place called the Pierhouse, which is a lovely restaurant with rooms over looking the pierhead for Lismore island. If I couldn’t afford the Pierhouse, I’d find a B&B or guesthouse and stay there so I could eat at the Pierhouse. A much cheaper alternative is the Cuilfail Hotel in Kilmelford which is about 15 miles south. In Oban itself, the only place I’ve stayed that I would recommend is the Caledonian which is right on the Harbour in the centre. <BR> <BR>Day 2 south to Kilmartin and Crinan, Kilmelford and Seil Island. This route follows the A 816 (which the Cuilfail is on) about 40 miles south to Crinan at the top of Loch Sween. Drive right down and then come back slowly. Go to Crinan and follow the signs to Tayvallich, which is a lovely little village half way down the peninsula. The land south of the village is a National Nature Reserve and is lovely. You can go over the peninsula and look out over the sound of Jura from a lovely beach, and there’s a very nice pub- the Tayvallich Inn, which does great food. Coming back up to Crinan; it lies on a short canal and in season hosts the yachts which are everywhere n the east coast. . Nearby is Dunadd where the kings of the Scots were crowned. You can climb to the top and see the footprint in the rock. Then come back up through Kilmartin Glen which is a maze of prehistoric remains- stone circles, avenues, symbol stone. There is a proper interpretation project which links it all together and explains it. Come on north and take the turning at Kilninver for Seil. This little island is linked to the mainland by an old bridge which markets itself as "The only Bridge over the Atlantic". Go home for supper. <BR> <BR>Day 3 trip to Mull. The ferries go all day regularly from Oban. There is quite a lot to do, and see, especially the village of Tobermory, which is very picturesque. If you really go for it, you can get to Fionnphort and get the little ferry to Iona, the cradle of Christianity, where St Columba arrived in Scotland. There is an Abbey and it is a beautiful and unspoilt place. An alterbnative more relaxing day is to catch one of the pleasure steamers which circle Mull, and go past Staffa to Iona, give you a couple of hours there then bring you home. <BR>Day 4 drive north to Skye via Ardnamurchan and Mallaig, where you catch the ferry to Armadale. Stay near Portree. Go north on the A828 ( Port Appin is just off this road) past Ballachulish and up as far as Corran Ferry. Cross the Loch on the Ferry and drive south to Strontian, then west along Loch Sunart to Salen. You can miss out the next bit, but I wouldn’t. Go right out west past Glenborrodale to Ardnamurchan Point; the most westerly point on the mainland of Britain. There is a visitor centre. Then you have to go back to Salen. Drive north past Kinlochmoidart and lochailort to Arisaig and the the white sands of Morar. Go on to Mallaig, where you catch the ferry over the sea to Skye. The boat gets in at Armadale at the south end of the Sleat peninsula. Drive up to Portree. A wrthwhile detour is to turn left at the Clan Donald Centre to Tarskavaig, because the view when you reach the top of the hill is breathtaking. I suggested staying at Portree because it’s so central, and I like the Rosedale on the harbour front. But my favourite place on Skye is the Isle Ornsay Hotel (aka Eilein Iarmain) which is in a great location and is stunningly romantic ( but a bit dearer than the Rosedale) There is masses of accommodation on Skye. <BR>Say 5 visit the north half of the island <BR>Day 6 visit North Uist I’ve just checked and this one doesn’t work without an overnight stay. The days when there are two ferries to Uist, there’s only one back and the days when there are two back there’s only a late one out. So, either reconcile your self to not going or to having a night in Uist . I know which I would do!! If you do not go spend your day in the north of the island visiting the Quiraing, Trotternish and Dunvegan. If you decide to go, there’re four islands to visit- South Uist, Benbecula, North Uist and Berneray, all linked by causeways. On the way back take in as much of the island as you choose. <BR>Day 7 visit the south half of the island on your way to Gairloch or Poolewe, or Kinlochewe. This gives you a chance to see the area out to Elgo and the Cuillin which are great mountains. Come off Skye on bridge and, since I think you may be quite late in the day head up the main A890 to Achnasheen.Then go northwest to (I think) Kinlochewe. And stay there. The Kinloshewe Hotel is meant to be quite nice, but so is the B&B at Cromasaig. <BR> <BR>Day 8 Drive up to Ullapool and out to Achiltibuie This is a long coastal run up past the pretty villages of Gairloch and Poolewe, round on the A832 to Dundonnell. Take the side road at Laide to Mellon Udrigle for the beach and mountain views and a great place to walk. When you get to Ullapool, spend a little time in this former fishing village and see what you think of it, then go on a bit further and take the road west past Stac Pollaidh to Achiltibuie and have a look at the views over the Summer Isles. Then come back by driving back to Ullapool, keeping on the road to Garve then west to Achnasheen and home <BR> <BR>Day 9 Go round Torridon as far as Applecross Set off down the road to Torridon and marvel at the Torridon mountains. Go all the way out to Diabaig on the north shoure of Outer Loch Torridon for the views, then come back to Torridon and follow the road round the peninsula to Applecross for lunch at the Applecross Inn. Follow the Beallach nam Bo over the hill to Kishorn then down into Lochcarron, hen come home again. <BR> <BR>Day 10 drive south to Glasgow via Invergarry, Fort William, Ballachulish, Glen Coe, Crianlarich, Arrochar and Loch Lomond. This route comes back down Strathcarron again to Dornie and Eilean Donan castle. Come through Kintail past the Five Sisters and along Loch Cluanie then turn south to Invergarry. Come down Glen Lochy to Spean Bridge, past the Commando monument, and on into Fort William, then stay on the road down the side of Loch Linnhe till you get back to Ballachulish. Turn left up Glen Coe and marvel at the scenery, feel the atmosphere of the Glen of weeping and cross Rannoch Moor, till you get back to Tyndrum and Crianlarich. At Crianlarich turn south to Arrochar and come into Glasgow having driven down the side of Loch Lomond. Can I come too, please? <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 08:33 AM
Barbara

Sheila, <BR> <BR>I do believe you have missed your calling. What a marvelous breakdown of information. Thank you so very much. We'll absorb this and will be in touch.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 08:35 AM
Laurie

Thanks for all the terrific info, Sheila. We are planning on spending 6 days in Edinburgh during the festival and the rest of our time (about 7 days) exploring Scotland. We have an 8 year-old daughter. Any suggestions?? thanks

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 02:05 PM
Sheila

Laurie <BR> <BR>I've posted quite a lot about Edinburgh before. If you want to e-mail me, I now keep a couple of pages in text documents I could send back to you. I have one for kids but it's all Scotland, not just Edinburgh. there is a very good book called (I think) Edinburgh for Kids, which you should probably get. I'll send it on if you want.

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 08:19 AM
Barbara

Sheila, <BR> <BR>Do you know if there is a web site for the Isle Ornsay Hotel on the Isle of Skye? I haven't found its listing on any of my current web sites. If not a web site, where could I find telephone number? Thanks again.

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 01:52 PM
Sheila

Try <BR> <BR>http://www.host.co.uk/m/prt/ht/024/ <BR> <BR>OK?