Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need hotel suggestions for Rome and Florence. If you've loved where you've stayed, please share!

Search

Need hotel suggestions for Rome and Florence. If you've loved where you've stayed, please share!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 1999, 12:13 PM
mel

Hi! I am planning a trip to Rome and Florence in October and need reccomendations on nice places to stay for under $175 a night. Can you offer any names?

Old Jul 17th, 1999, 04:55 PM
Kirby Sanford

Mel - Just returned last week from Rome. We stayed at the Hotel Cesari located on the Via Di Pietra. The Hotel was one block from the main shopping areas and three blocks from the Trevi Fountain in one direction and three blocks from the Pantheon in the other. A double room cost 340,000L per night. This equates to about $185.00. The cost includes breakfast of bread, meats, cheeses, cereal, juice and coffee. Rooms were nice sized with full bath and a small refrigerator. Air conditioning worked pretty well also. <BR> <BR>In Florence we stayed at the Hotel Pendini located on the Via Strozzi. The hotel is on the 4th floor of the main building located on the west side of the Piazza Republica in the center of the city. Everything in Florence is with walking distance of everything else. A double room cost 250,000L per night or approximately $140 USD. The room was large with high ceilings. The bath was somewhat cramped but still functional. Air conditioning also worked well here. The owners are more than happy to help you with restaurant and shopping suggestions. They also offer free e-mail to their guests. <BR>

Old Jul 17th, 1999, 05:34 PM
Dalia

We stayed at the Hotel Trevi just two blocks from the Trevi Fountain and loved it...nice decorated, big room with a sitting area and a good, bright bathroom. Breakfast was in the roof top garden and consisted of meats, breads, cheeses, pastries, tea, coffee...very filling and such a nice setting. It's recommended as a splurge in the Cheap Sleeps in Italy book. We particularly liked eating some pizza at a local shop between the hotel and the Trevi Fountain. Then we'd pick up some hazelnut gelato (yum!) just a few shops down the road and and enjoyed it by the evening lights of the Trevi Fountain. We'd return later after the bulk of the tourists had left and have the Trevi Fountain practically to ourselves. What could be more wonderful!

Old Jul 19th, 1999, 12:19 PM
Cherie

I stayed with my husband and two teens in a former Merchants Palazzo near Pza. Navona in Rome. It was recently on the rental market and was modernized so far as kitchen, baths, lighting & air cdng, etc., but still retained it's charm. I rented it from a company called Roman Homes (they have their own website by the same name). I have to be careful here so as not to seem like an advertisement. We enjoyed it because it was cheaper than renting a large or possibly two small rooms at a hotel and had much more room for all of us. You might consider renting an apartment or flat in Italy. It worked out for us.

Old Jul 19th, 1999, 04:00 PM
Richard

I was in Rome in May and stayed at the Hotel Due Torri. It was a great little hotel with a very friendly staff and decent rooms with good plumbing. The location was very central near the Piazza Navona and within walking distancce of most sights. Another added bonus is that it is very quiet because it is in the backstreets of the old part of the city. There is a small pic of the hotel at ; <BR> <BR>http://www.hotelbook.com/static/welcome_14282.html#top <BR> <BR>I would recommend for better rates to make the reservation thru their fax #, they are very helpful. We paid 280,000 lire for the room. Thats about $155. <BR> <BR>For more info see my postings ALL ABOUT ROME and MY FAVORITE RESTAURANTS IN ROME. <BR> <BR>I have some photos of the rooms and exterior if you want to see any, Email me.

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 01:39 PM
Cinda

We returned from an Italian adventure 2 weeks ago. We were very pleased with the Due Torri in Rome. They were very nice and recommended good restaurants and were in an ideal location with a bus stop across the street. They had the coldest room on our trip! In Florence, we stayed at the Hotel Alessandra just half a block from the Ponte Vecchio. Our friends stayed at the Pendini which was a 3 star and said our bath was alot nicer than theirs and it is a 2 star hotel. Very nice, English speaking, nice breakfast and we had a large room. They turn on your air when you are in your room. I would stay there again. Our room was L270,000 for 3 people. Wonderful town and good gelato and food. Vivoli's had good gelato. If you want more info on where to eat, I'll get the names and post them. Also, a good leather place with fabulous stuff. If you like to shop, I can give the names of a bunch of great places for shoes, gloves, etc. Have fun!

Old Jul 24th, 1999, 04:49 AM
Theresa

<BR>In Florence my group was at the Hotel Calzauoli just steps from the Piazza della Republica. Walking distance from Piazza della Signoria, and everything else. In Rome we were at the Hotel Palatino, just a 5-minute walk from the Roman ruins. Couple blocks from the National Exhibition Hall (I think thats the translation) I wald to the Trevi Fountain with the aid of a good map. I personally would not want to stay near the fountain because of the crowds.