I am in the process of planning a surprise trip for my parents 25th wedding anniversary (they are 55 and 62, and in good health). The trip is a total of 10 days in April, 5 of which will be spent in the Tuscany area. They will be spending a few days in Rome, heading to Tuscany, spending 2 days in Florence, then the last day in Venice (as they fly out of there). I have hired a private tour guide to take them around Tuscany for 2 days out of their stay. I booked a reservation at Villa Armena (http://www.villaarmena.com/en/13/homepage.aspx), which is an absolutely beautiful accommodation, with rave reviews; however, two of the tour guides I consulted suggested staying in Siena or in another hilltown, as they say Villa Armena is too remote. In either situation, my parents will have a rental car, so they will be able to get around outside of when they are with the private tour guide.
Can someone provide a recommendation on whether they think staying outside of a hilltown is too limiting? None of the hotels in Siena look as nice as Villa Armena (and the other hotels I've booked for them in Rome, Florence, and Venice). I want to make sure they are staying in a nice place and didn't think staying in a more remote location was a big deal (since they will have a car... and this type of accommodation - I looked into MANY similar places - always seems to get great reviews), but if anyone has experience, please let me know!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Need Car & Driver for Southern Italy
- 2 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 3 Viking Cruise Tours (Barcelona and French Riviera)-- Please Help
- 4 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 5 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 6 Problem with Trip Advisor
- 7 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 8 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 9 10 days trip to Europe in June of 2018
- 10 Italy with kids - off the beaten bath
- 11 Driving
- 12 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 13 GTG Paris December 2017
- 14 Paris or Rome dinner recommendations
- 15 Malaga Christmas lights
- 16 Ronda by bus in early January?
- 17 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 18 Highway Death Rates in Europe Now Fewer than in U.S...
- 19 Champs E.....no market ‘this year? How will it look?
- 20 20th wedding anniversary, Le Grand Tour
- 21 Poland--where else to go
- 22 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 23 5 days in Andalusia
- 24 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 25 South of France