Need Help with Trip to Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings fellow travelers, I'm a first time post-er. I just booked a flight to Dublin with my boyfriend for September 18-30th. Any suggestions for sights, hotels, timing, logistics, etc. for our itinerary would be greatly appreciated:

1)Sept 19: Arrive @ Dublin Airport 10:30am, pick up rental car. (autoeurope or europcar)
Drive to Kilkenny, visit castle and walk around town. Drive to Cashel, visit Rock of Cashel and Bru Boru show at night. Drive to Dungarven and spend the night there. (Too much for Day 1? Better to stay in Cashel for the night and skip Dungarven?

2)Sept 20: Drive to Cork & visit Blarney Castle. Drive to Kenmare, and do Ring of Kerry. 1 night in Kenmare.

3)Sept. 21: Drive to Dingle Peninsual, visiting Camp and Dingle. Drive up to Galway, stopping at Cliffs of Moher on the way. 1st night in Galway.

4)Sept. 22: Visit Galway for a day. 2nd night in Galway. Budget hotel advice?

5)Sept. 23: Drive to Connemara, visit Clifden, 12 Bens (maybe Croagh Patrick?) drive to Dublin, return car.

6-8)Sept. 24-26: tour of Northern Ireland with radicaltravel.com

9-10)Sept. 27-28: Do Dublin, (visit N'tional Gallery, Guiness Storehouse)

11)Sept. 29: One day tour of Powerscourt and Glendalough, Vale of Avoca (Tour Company suggestions?)

12)Sept. 30: Fly home to Los Angeles
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:03 AM

Wa-a-ay too much!

You arrive, I presume from LA, and take on a lot of driving and visiting that very day? I don't want to be on the same roads you are on! And then the next day is worse.

Delete about half your programme. If you want to see that much stuff in that little time, rent the video.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:10 AM

I was in Ireland this time last year and loved it. Your trip esp. the beginning seems way too fast. Where are you flying from and do you need a rest before grabbing that car and zooming away? Have you driven on the left before? Driving at night poses sheep hazards, can't see them! I also loved Dingle and 1 night in Kenmare and then 1 night on the peninsula seems a shame. I have names of some B&B's we had wonderful luck with. One in Glendalough, Cashel, Kenmare, and also in Dingle. Your West Coast/Connamera segment also seems crammed to the gills.You will see Ireland from your car window I'm afraid. How about seeing less and going back soon!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:30 AM

My 1st suggestion is to cut out about 50% (or more) of what you have planned. That's too much even for someone who travels fast. I understand it doesn't look like you are traveling many miles, but basically, you will be in the car from sun up to sun down.

So here we go.

19th: Way too much. You will be jetlagged, especially from LA. Go only as far as Kilkenny. Let's look at the timing. There is little chance you will be out of the airport before 12:00. I'm guessing you haven't driven in Ireland before so you'll be getting used to driving on the left etc. Minimum 1:30, probably 2 hour drive especially since you'll have to figure out getting around Kilkenny. Street names in Ireland aren't hung on big green signs over the road and many times, can'r be found at all. You'll hit Kilkenny at about 2:00. Kilkenny Castle is only by guided tour and if it's really busy, you might not get in at all, but you'll certainly have to wait. Figure you'll be done by 4:00.

At this point, you haven't even stopped to eat. Kilkenny is a wonderful city and just stopping to see the castle is a waste. Driving to Cashel is probably an hour if you don't get lost on the way. Those little backroads are confusing so you'll have to either drive through Cahir or risk getting pretty lost.

Keep in mind, average travel speed through most of Ireland is about 35MPH without getting lost.

Spend 1st night in Kilkenny. Cashel is a bad idea, Dungarvan is out of the question.

The Ring of Kerry is a full day trip. You couldn't possibly include it with a trip to Blarney. Go to Cahor Castle instead of Blarney. Much more interesting.

Visiting Dingle is also a full day.

The 22nd is fine. Jury's is probably the best located hotel and it's inexpensive by Irish standards. Generally B&Bs are cheaper in small towns.

The 23rd is impossible. Galway to Dublin is 4 hours for inexperienced drivers, 3 for most locals.

The website didn't come up for me but I figure radical travel is a see as much as you can in three days, which is fine. You won't be doing the driving.

The rest is fine.

Don't fret. Everybody makes this mistake on the 1st try. You really need to cut a lot of things out or consider you won't ever eat drink or sleep unless it's in the car.

Keep planning!

Bill
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:31 AM

"rent the video" That's good!

Bill
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:52 AM

"rent the video" was a little bit snarkey, and really uncalled for. Renebene, I agree with the others here that you are overextending yourself on the trip, however I want to say "good for you!" for going up to Northern Ireland. It is gorgeous and you will be glad you went!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:55 AM

Well, I thought uit was funny. Some people are just a bit more sensitive than me though.

By the way, I thought lots of people went to NI. I've been at least 3 times.

Bill
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Okay, here's a new proposed trip:

Day 1 (9/19) Arrive in Dublin, drive to Kilkenny, see castle, spend the night.

Day 2 (9/20) Drive to Kenmare (maybe Cahor Castle, did you mean Cahir?), spend the night.

Day 3 (9/21) Do Ring of Kerry, drive to Dingle, spend the night.

Day 4 (9/22) Do Dingle Peninsula and Cliffs of Moher, drive to Galway, spend the night.

Day 5 (9/23) Morning in Galway, afternoon drive to Dublin for tour of N.I: Day 6-8, and Dublin: Day 9-11.

This means skipping Cashel, Cork (Blarney), most of Galway, Clifden and Connemara. Instead, should I skip Galway, the Ring of Kerry or Dingle Peninsula for something else? Or perhaps, skip the NI trip (http://www.shamrockeradventures.com/) and spend all the time doing Southern/Western Ireland?

Thanks for your comment mahlquist, I know forums take many grains of salt. Thanks for all your advice Bill, very helpful. Open to B&B ideas from your trip, mgdmoon.

Also, yes, flying in from L.A., non-stop flight. Both of us have driven on the left before. I prefer doing guided tours, my bf prefers self-guiding. This trip entails many compromises. : )

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:14 AM

I think the issue is that you are trying to do most of Ireland in 11 days which is guarantees a green blur.

Driving on the left and driving in Ireland aren't always the same thing. Irish roads tend to be pretty small, though most of what you are on is pretty good. The road to Kilkenny is very good and has a shoulder most of the way.

What kind of lodging are you considering? Hotels, B&Bs. That could make a difference. Getting out of a B&B before 9am can be a challenge. Breakfast usually doesn't start until 8, sometimes later.

By the way, yes Cahir. My typing ain't so good.

I still think that the Dingle Peninsula to the Cliffs to Galway is too much. It's slightly over 4 hours to the cliffs from Dingle. If you just made a loop around Slea Head without much stopping it's probably about 2 hours. Consider 1 hour stay the the cliffs, you're 7 hours into the day (3 or 4:00) with no breaks planned in and you're not in Galway yet

I love NI, but I think I would leave it out on this trip and do it on another. Basically, slow down and spend a couple of multiple nights in some locations.

Generally, I've always thought that Ireland is best enjoyed at a slow pace. If though, you are used to guided tours which generally move at a very quick pace, quick may be what you like. What you will be able to do is say that you've seen Ireland. I'm not picking on you, lots of people travel that way. I'm not one of them. I get slower every year.

By the way, Padraig has been providing great info with lots of good local advice to people here for quite a while. I don't think he was being harsh.

Bill
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:29 AM

When you have determined where you will be spending nights e-mail me for B&B's I will be happy to share names. I was with 4 friends and we all loved many of the places we chose. [email protected]
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:34 AM

I didn't think I was being harsh, either -- just using colorful expression. If I gave offence, I am sorry, but none was intended.

Plan B seems much better, but still a bit busy. Do you need both the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Peninsula? In my view (a view shared by many) the best bit of the RoK is that stretch between Kenmare and Killarney. Perhaps you could do that and head thence for Dingle. You could then take your time on the Dingle Peninsula -- slow down a bit, get out of the car more, stretch the legs, breathe the air, walk on a beach, be in the landscape for a while rather than shooting past it.

Or find other ways to take the pace down a bit.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:47 AM

Ok here is our trip details June 2007
Arrive Dublin AM rent car drive to Kinnitty Castle, Spend the night. am drive to Blarney Castle Kiss the Blarney Stone drive to Cork! shop! then around the bottom of Ireland to Wexford for a 3 night stay. While in Wexford Visit Hook Lighthouse, JFK, Heritage Park Some small castles and just hang out at night. When leaving here though we are taking the Ferry to England then to France then to Italy then back home< Shew are ya tired Yet? But those our are Ireland details If you ask me to see all of Ireland would take at least 20 hard days.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I fly from the West Coast to the British Isles a few times a year. Have you ever been ? I suggest you NOT DRIVE ANYWHERE your first day. I would spend the first day -- car-less -- in Dublin. Get over the jet lag, see a bit of the city, and just acclimate yourselves. Then on day 2 pick up your car and head out. Not only is driving tiring - it is <u>dangerous</u> in a jet lagged stupor.

All these 1 night stands are counter productive. if you have to pack, check out, check in, unpack every day you lose a lot of valuable sightseeing time. it is usually better to stay 2 or 3 nights in one location and use it as a base to see things w/i a reasonable day's drive.

When working out your itinerary - plan averaging about 35 mph especially in the SW. So it is not like jumping on I-5 and driving the length of CA in a day . . . . .
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all these suggestions. It seems like dropping N.I. might be better so we can spend all 11 days doing the loop between Dublin and Galway. Let me rethink/regroup and I'll repost a new itinerary in a few weeks with a new and improved plan, taking all your suggestions into consideration. Much appreciated,-rene
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:32 AM

Janis is right, though some people try to make a drive. My limit is two hours actual driving time and I'm one time zone east of you. Again, I agree with janis on the packing and checking out situation. Your itinerary is already jam packed each day.

Additionally, be sure to ask for your B&amp;B suggestions here rather than a private email to someone. That's the purpose of this board ... to share the data with others. Many folks may pick up some information from a post not originally intended for them.

Bill
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:02 PM

Rene, we have had a short and vigorous discussion about your programme without your having said what sort of things you actually like.

Your first draft suggested to me that you were into a checking-the-usual-boxes type of trip, such as you might get on an organised tour. Perhaps your preference for guided tours has left its mark on you. Remember, if you are planning for yourselves, you can tailor things more to your particular preferences. For example, are you more into scenery or the built heritage? Do you want short stops to look at things, or do you want to get out of the car and go for a short (or even a long) hike? Would you like a boat trip? Do you like the idea of evenings in pubs? Say more about yourselves (and the compromises you and your boyfriend have to make) and we might come up with some better focused suggestions.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:04 PM

renebene,

Padraig, Wojazz3, and Janisj have given you wonderful advice. I know you'll enjoy your trip so much more if you follow it. Have a great trip.

Joan
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 07:24 AM

I'm jumping in late on this one. renebene, you did a very good job of trimming down an impossible itinerary. As Bill said, Dingle-Cliffs-Galway is really an overload.

Let us know your &quot;next draft&quot; and your interests and we'll be happy to provide more insight.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Yes, you are all correct and wonderful. Bill, Padraig, and everyone else is VERY helpful. My first time using this forum is making me a big fan.

We might drop the TOUR of N.I. and instead just try and do a 1 or 2 day trip (2 hr train ride from Dublin, I believe) to Belfast for a night. That's my bf's idea. But, I was hoping more for Giant's Causeway and the Rope Bridge. Which I'm willing to give up to enjoy more of a leisurly trip of S./W. Ireland.

As far as what we like. I enjoy cultural performances, beautiful scenary, some hiking, art museums and castles. My bf enjoys all the stuff in my list plus pubs, spectator sports, and history/literary stuff. But, overall we enjoy most of the same stuff and are extremely compatible.

Actually we're leaving for New Orleans' Jazzfest this weekend. So, we're getting ready for that right now, and will return with new ideas for our Ireland trip. -rene
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:17 AM

I agree with those who advise against driving the same day you arrived.

I had an accident in England which I think was caused by being tired and driving on the right side of the road.

The thought of driving immediately after a crosscountry and transatlantic flight horrifies me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -