Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help with southern Spain/Adalucia itinerary

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to southern Spain in May. We haven't booked anything yet but are currently planning on flying into Malaga (cheaper and with only ONE stopover in London) and then flying out of Seville. I have done tons of research and have come up with a current plan, and I guess I'm just wanting some sort of validation that this is a good idea and is do-able.

Day 1 - overnight flight from USA

Day 2 - arrive at noon in Malaga; taxi to some hotel in Malaga; try to see something in Malaga in the evening; overnight Malaga

Day 3 - bus to Granada in the morning. Afternoon touring Granada; overnight in Granada

Day 4 - Alhambra (I will buy tickets early) and more sightseeing in Granada; overnight Granada

Day 5 - rent car; drive to Ronda, stopping in Antequera along the way; see Ronda in afternoon, overnight in Ronda

Day 6 - drive through mini-tour of white towns, including Zahara de la Sierra, Grazalema, and Olvera, on the way to Seville. Ditch car at train station. Overnight in Seville

Day 7 - Seville sightseeing

Day 8 - Day trip to Cordoba via AVE train; overnight Seville

Day 9 - fly home from Seville

We are young (late 20s) and we like to see a lot on vacations and not just hang out and relax. We don't care about seeing the beach since we live near one. We do have the option of adding in an
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

augh sorry hit the wrong button accidentally. To continue - we do have an option of adding a day in somewhere, but we have no idea where to do it. I was thinking of adding an extra day in Malaga and then driving to Nerja and Marbella, but then we would have to rent the car early and keep it in Granada, and we're not sure if it's worth it.

OK this was a long post. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated!!!!!!!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:20 PM

I would stay another day in Granada or in the Pueblos Blancos. I am not a big fan of Malaga and one night was enough for us.

The PB are absolutely beautiful and the people are very friendly. We visited some caves called Cuevas a de la Piletas near Ronda that were fascinating. Paleolithic and neolithic cave drawings that were very clear. We were there about 4 years ago and there was talk about them closing to preserve them so check to see if they are still open.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:32 PM

Your itinerary is very good. I see you'll have very little time to see Ronda town itself, which has several beautiful spots. Adding one extra day here wont be a bad idea, though one extra car day.
The other extra day option is Seville, you can add some places to visit besides the obvious Cathedral and Alcazar.
Come back for info on hotels/restaurants, I live in the area.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:46 PM

I think your itinerary sounds really good. It's a lot of moving around, but if that's what you want then you're fine. One thing to mention though - we're the same age and style of travelers as you seem to be, and we did Southern Spain in 8 days last year and packed in Madrid, Seville, Cadiz, Arcos, Ronda, Nerja, Antequera and Cordoba, and it was WAAAY too much. We were exhausted by the time we got home and it didn't really feel like a vacation. If anything, I would recommend staying put in two places a little longer.

So my revisions would be: skip Antequera. We stopped there en route from Nerja to Cordoba and there really wasn't much to see or do. I think it's more worthwhile to just head straight to Ronda and spend the whole day there.

I also might cut out the day trip on the AVE to Cordoba. Cordoba is very pretty, the old mosque is gorgeous, but there's so much to see and do in Seville and you might feel like you just want to stay put for a day. At the very least, maybe don't buy the AVE tickets ahead of time and on that last day see how you feel about hitting yet another city. By the end of our trip, all I wanted was a day to relax in one place instead of being continuously on the move.

Nerja is lovely, but if it means a whole extra day of driving and picking up the rental car early, I would skip it this trip. If you're going to add in an extra day, maybe do it after your tour of the White Towns. Hit all the ones you want to see and tack on a night perhaps in Arcos de la Frontera.

I think you'll have a fantastic time in Southern Spain - all the cities you listed are just gorgeous.

Enjoy!

Kate
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:22 PM

If you're a Picasso fan, don't miss the Museo Picasso in Malaga--it's fantastic (his private collection). The view from the Gibralfaro is wonderful, and the Alcazar is lovely.

If I were to add a night on anywhere you mention, it would be in Seville. Make sure to go to a flamenco show--we loved the one at Los Gallos.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I like driving so shade my post with that. Spain is easy to drive, so I'd rent the car at Malaga airport & drive to Nerja for the night - less than an hours drive & easy. Stay at the Paraiso del Mar (we loved this place) or similar for two nights. My wife & I have found that after the ‘vacation build-up’ & the x-Atlantic trek, we like to collapse & decompress for a couple of days. Numerous nice things to see around Nerja – caves, villages, deserted cove beaches etc.

Then you’ll really be rested & ready to attack. Drive east & north to Granada - a great drive btw & only 2 hours or so & continue your itinerary. Or short Granada by a night & drive 1 hour north to Jaen & stay in the Parador which is stunningly located.

The extra day should be for Sevilla.

fwiw

Here’s my trip report with pics
http://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/spain2.htm

Ian
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:43 AM
kja

I think your plan sounds wonderful! Where you spend your extra day really depends on what you want to see and do, but my vote would be for Seville, especially if you keep to the plan of a day in Cordoba (which I loved). Consider getting both day and night tickets for the Alhambra. Enjoy!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Ian

And Re Alhambra . . . .

Watch http://tinyurl.com/yggssr - When the Moors Ruled in Europe - for some background before you go.

Ian
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:53 PM

Ian,
I loved your trip report! Beautiful. Agree with most of the comments except the one about all the paradores being about the same. I thought Leon was so different than Segovia, but loved both of them. LOL about your comment "flew Air Abuse" home--very funny
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Ian

artlover

By the same, I meant: same soap, same towels, almost identical menus with only some local entree variations. We stayed in 3 Paradors back-to-back so it was obvious. The furnishings, locales etc are very different - and all great from what we experienced. I would still highly recommend them.

Ian
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 03:25 AM

Y'all sound like experts re travel in this area & I was wondering if you have any suggestions of an affordable means of getting from the Malaga airport to Marbella other than a taxi or private car @ 60 euros? THanks- Mo
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 04:20 AM

Mo,
you can take the BUS. Here is your link:
http://www.esp.andalucia.com/turismo.../malagabus.htm

It is only in spanish, so if you have any trouble, do not hesitate to e-mail me.

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 04:24 AM

IJ'm going to Andaluca in March for 9 nights and have decieded to only do Granada, Cordoba and Sevilla. Usually I do trips like you suggest but now that I'm in the planning stages I'm realizing how much there really is to see in each of these cities and I'm glad I'm not trying to do more. Not that you shouldn't keep the car/white towns, but keep in mind that you could easily spend more time than you have just in the three main cities. I haven't been yet, but I've done alot of reading of trip reports, etc and I'm glad I decided to keep it simple.

If you don't really want/need to see Malaga look into booking a flight into Granada. We have tickets (on Iberia from New York) into Sevila and out of Granada. That would give you an extra couple of days.

Do book your Alhambra tickets ASAP!! I figured for March, that booking in late December would be fine but found that several time slots were already sold out. I'm sure May is much busier than march so I'd get on it if I were you.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your help. After MUCH consideration, we have decided to change two big things: 1) Move the trip to September. It's just as cheap, and I'm feeling pretty rushed to get everything booked in time for early May. And 2) skip Malaga. I really liked isabel's suggestion, and while it means a slightly crazier flight schedule, I think it will make for a more relaxed trip once we are actually in Spain. Here's the revised itinerary:

Day 1 - overnight flight from USA to Granada

Day 2 - arrive at 11:00 am in Granada; day relaxing in Granada

Day 3 - Alhambra (I will buy tickets early) and more sightseeing in Granada; overnight Granada

Day 4 - rent car; drive straight to Ronda, see Ronda in afternoon, overnight in Ronda

Day 5 - Ronda; drive to Grazalema, Arcos de la Frontera, Zahara de la Sierra, back to Ronda; overnight in Ronda

Day 6 - drive straight to Seville; ditch car in train station. Afternoon sightseeing in Seville

Day 7 - Seville sightseeing

Day 8 - Day trip to Cordoba via AVE train; overnight Seville

Day 9 - fly home from Seville

Any thoughts on my changes? Thanks so much!
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 12:09 PM

That looks pretty darn good to me!

Glad to see you aren't skipping the Pueblos Blancos as they are incredibly scenic and great for photo opportunities. We stayed in Arcos de la Frontera at Hotel El Convento. Views to die for!