NEED HELP WITH ITINERARY IRELAND

Jul 31st, 2003, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

NEED HELP WITH ITINERARY IRELAND

WILL BE IN IRELAND ON SEPT 10 - SEPT 17 FOR THE 1ST TIME AND WANT TO KNOW IF THE TRIP I PLANNED SOUNDS REASONABLE FOR THE AMOUNT OF TIME I HAVE. I DO NOT WANT TO SPREAD MYSELF TOO THIN. HUSBAND AND I WILL BE RENTING A CAR AND STAYING IN B&B'S ALONG THE WAY. ALSO IF YOU CAN TELL ME ANY MUST SEE SPOTS ALONG THE WAY OR GOOD RECOMENDATIONS FOR PUBS AND B&B'S THAT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL!!

DAY 1 - LAND IN SHANNON AT 8:00AM - TRAVEL TO ADARE, ATHASSEL PRIORY, ROCK OF CASHEL, LIMERICK, BACK TO SHANNON TO SLEEP

DAY 2 - CLIFFS OF MOHER, EITHER RING OF DINGLE PENINSULA OR RING OF KERRY, HEAD TO KINSALE TO SLEEP (MAYBE STOP ALONG THE WAY TO SLEEP.

DAY 3 - EXPLORE KINSALE, CORK, MAYBE COBH, AND ARDMORE

DAY 4 - WATERFORD, KILKENNY DESIGN CENTER IN KILKENNY, MAYBE SALTEE ISLANDS, HEAD TOWARDS GLENDALOUGH

DAY 5 - EXPLORE GLENDALOUGH, WICKLOW MOUNTAINS AND WICKLOW/SALLY GAP, ENNISKERRY & POWERSCOURT

DAY 6 - TRIM, MAYBE HILL OF TARA AND MAYBE NEW GRANGE, HEAD TO DUBLIN AND EXPLORE DUBLIN (BOOK OF KELLS).

DAY 7 EXPLORE DUBLIN TILL AROUND 12:00 NOON AND FLY BACK HOME.

Jul 31st, 2003, 02:07 PM

first - in case you didn't know - typing in all caps is like SHOUTING at the reader. It is more common to type in mixed case , or even all lower , and use Caps for emphasis.

Now for your itinerary.
Holy moly - You aren't just spreading yourself thin, I think you disappeared some days.

Working with the general rule of thumb of 35mph and limiting your driving on the first day ( due to jet lag & getting used to driving on the Left)

Day 1 - WAY too much. Land at 8 - assume you are out of the airport with your luggage & car by 10:30 or 11. I would think that by the time you make it to Cashel , all you will want to do is get out of the car.

Day 2. Again -- WAY too much.
Shannon - Cliffs is around 90min- 2 hr to get there. spend a while looking, you won't be done at the cliffs until 11:30 or noon- MAYBE.
Just driving to Dingle or Killarney/Kenmare will take 3 hrs or more from the cliffs. Driving the Ring of Kerry takes 4 - 5 hrs alone .
Driving from the Kerry area to Kinsale - another 2+ hrs. This day alone would make me weep. ( and never get into another car).

Day 3. You can do Kinsale & Cobh in one day. Leave Cork out of it. ( very industrial town anyway)

Day 4 Waterford ( assuming for the Crystal tour) & Kilkenny will fit in one day, but again , you are doing a lot of driving. Be sure to note the closing times of things in Kilkenny - even though it is light out until 9 or 10, most places close to visitors by 6 or so.

Day 5 - it will take about 2 + hrs to get to Glendalough from Kilkenny. As you get closer to Glendalough, it gets more and more winding and narrow. Right close to Glendalough, the drop offs from the edge of the road can scare you a bit.
Powerscourt is only about 30/45 min from GL, but touring the house and gardens can use up 3 or 4 hours if you want it to. Again - this is a full day.
Day 6 - I would spend the whole day in Dublin. By this time you will be tired of driving, and want to get rid of the car.
Jul 31st, 2003, 02:20 PM

since I told you my thoughts on your itinerary , I suppose I should give you some alternatives.

Day 1 - Go to Cliffs right away. Head down to Kilrush & catch ferry. Decide on EITHER the Ring of Kerry or Dingle. - I would choose Dingle, as you really don't have the time to drive the ring. Sleep in Dingle.

Day 2. Drive to Kinsale ( this will take most of the morning. ) Explore....
Take ferry over to Cobh - wander around. Sleep in Cobh.

Day 3. Drive to Cashel. ( suggestion - Dualla House -but I think you would need reservations ahead) . stop in Cahir on the way, see the rock etc. If you have a LOT of time you could drive closer to Waterford to make tomorrow easier, but I am betting by this time, parking the car will sound like a great idea.

Day 4 Head out to Waterford then back up to Kilkenny. If you want to see the Castle - go there right away, and see what tour is not yet full. You can buy your tickets ahead for the day, and then come back.

Day 5 head out to Glendalough. See the National Park. Drive on to Enniskerry & Powerscourt - Find a B&B in this area, Maybe it would work for tomorrow night too?

Day 6 - Explore Dublin.
Day 7 fly home.

Couple more thoughts - try to check in at your B&B for the night by 7pm ( they really prefer 6 or 6:30). Showing up at 8 or 9 or later is frowned upon.

When you are kind of set on your itinerary, double check where you will be on Fri/Sat. If is is in a popular town (Kinsale,Dingle, Kilkenny) you might want to book those nights ahead, or you could spend a lot of time trying to find a place to sleep. The tourist offices are only open till around 6 too.

DEFINITELY book your Dublin night(s) ahead of time.

Good luck.
Debbie
Jul 31st, 2003, 02:29 PM

I'm afraid you've tried to pack in much too much. I'm not sure your itinerary is even possible, but I know it won't be enjoyable.
Starting with Day #1, remember that you may be quite tired if you arrive at 8 a.m. If you've had an overnight flight, you may not have slept at all. Take that day a little easy. Maybe head out to see the Cliffs and then stay overnight along the coast of Clare. The next day, you could drive down to Killimer and take the ferry over to County Kerry.
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Sorry all about the typing in caps. We are required to type all caps at my work and I just get in the habit of doing so. Wow I am sooo glad I decided to post because I thought for sure I would have time to hit everything on my list. Believe it or not, that is actually a scaled down version of what I originaly wanted to see. I was going to also try to make it to Galway and Kylemore Abbey. Well back to the drawing board. That is too bad becasue I really had my heart set on most of these places. Wish I could see them all. Keep the ideas and suggestions coming because I obviously need lots of help with this. Thanks so much to everyone!

I will post a new one once I have gathered more info.
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:30 PM

Can you prioritize your 'must see' list? Ireland has wonderful sights to see, but if you pack your days full of rushing from one 'thing' to another, you miss out on time to actually talk to the people and get a feel for the culture and society.
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:17 PM

I agree on the consensus of time. Last time we went we covered more ground than that by just a little, but it was over a 21 day period.

It is hard narrowing it down though, isn't it? So many interesting things to see...

Aug 1st, 2003, 06:11 AM

One of the things I did for both of my trips was come up with my list of places to see, and then put pins/marks on a map. You will be surprised how your itinerary and route jumps out at you.

You could never see all there is to see in one week, so try to concentrate on a few areas, understanding that you will probably be back.
The only people I have talked to who didn't want to go back are those that did the GREEN BLUR trip - racing across the country and not taking time to enjoy it.
Aug 1st, 2003, 06:27 AM

Now that you've convinced yourself to slow down and enjoy your time in Ireland, why not check out this site for some lovely B&B accommodations? www.hidden-ireland.com From my experience, you can't go wrong with any of these properties!
Aug 1st, 2003, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

OK - thanks for the help. I changed things a bit and I decided what was the most important to me to see. Can you tell me if this sounds any more reasonable or should I keep working on it?

Day 1 ? Land in Shannon at 8am. Figure by the time depart plane, get luggage, and rent car it will be 10:30. From 10:30 ? about 11:30 drive the Cliffs of Moher. ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR LUNCH NEAR THE CLIFFS? 11:30 ? about 3:00 see the Cliffs and do lunch sometime in there. 3:00 ? 4:30 drive time to Adare. Explore Adare and either sleep in Adare or if time head towards Killarney and stop along the way to sleep. ANYSUGGESTIONS OF B&B ALONG THE WAY ? maybe on the coast?

Day 2 ? If still in Adare, drive to Killarney. Drive Ring of Kerry with a packed lunch till about 4:00 or 5:00. Drive to Kinsale and check into a B&B. ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR DINNER AND B&B?

Day 3 ? Explore Kinsale ? drive to Cork. Explore Cork and see Blarney Castle

Day 4 ? Explore Waterford a little (IS THERE MUCH WORTH SEEING OTHER THAN CRYSTAL FAC?) See crystal fac. and drive to Cashel. See rock of Cashel and maybe stay the night in Cashel. If time will head towards Kilkenny to sleep.

Day 5 ? Morning see Kilkenny Design Center. HOW LONG SHOULD I ALLOW FOR THAT? Do some shopping in Kilkenny. Drive to Glandalough and see Wicklow Gap along the way. If time see National Park and visit little village of Clare (Vale of Clare).

Day 6 ? Powerscourt in Enniskerry in the morning and go to Dublin in the afternoon. See Book of Kells and explore Dublin. On the off chance that I have time between Enniskerry and Dublin I want to see Trim and Trim Castle, but don?t think I will have time. Do not have any interest in Hill of Tara anymore.

Day 7 ? Fly home from Dublin.
Aug 1st, 2003, 10:12 AM

Looks a lot better.
Day 1 looks pretty good - You are breaking the day up pretty well, so hopefully you won't be too tired.

Day 2 & 3 . Instead of trying to get to Kinsale after driving the Ring, I would go to Blarney for the night. Much easier roads to Blarney than Kinsale. And after a long day of driving, you will appreciate this. Then head to Kinsale the next night. I would still skip Cork - do some searches on this board - not many people like Cork as a place to visit. If you have time, you may be able to hop over to Cobh. ( actually - I would skip - and have - blarney and give yourself more time in either Killarney or Kinsale)

There is not much else to see in Waterford other than the Crystal factory. Depending on how much you want to see this - (I love going through the tour there) you may want to put this on the "lets see when we get there how much time we really have" list.

Be sure to stop in Cahir , when you are in Cashel- The castle there is REALLY cool- you really have full access to it.

If you really want to see Trim , I would either cut out Kilkenny ( especially if all you are looking to see there is the design center - cool shopping area, but a required stop?) or Glendalough & Powerscourt - I loved Powerscourt, more than Kilkenny.
Trying to fit PC and Dublin/kells AND Trim into 1 day is still REALLY REALLY pushing it. Dublin is a very large city and getting around there will take a lot of time.

I did most of the things you have listed on my last trip - but we had 14 full days, and there were times I still felt rushed. Driving there takes longer and takes a lot out of you. Narrow roads, sheep, road signs that are few and far between. Try to not spend your whole trip inside the car. Give yourself time to get out and really explore a town or area.

Otherwise you will need a vacation to recover from your trip.
Aug 4th, 2003, 08:10 AM

May I suggest a B&B in Ennis just north of Shannon....lovely village....its called Kilmoon House..on Kildysart Rd...run by friends of ours...Noel and Bridgid Pyne.....they are delightful
Aug 4th, 2003, 08:49 AM

FLUTTERBY1
Thanks for your post...I'm starting to plan our Ireland trip. ALL this info is terrific!
DEBBIE, thanks for taking the time...you're helping more than one person with your responses! Flutterby, asked about the Kilkenny Desisn Center..is it art? furniture?
RETIRED TEACHER, checked out the web-site...now on my "favorites" list...thanks!
THANKS everyone....I'll be in the background taking notes!!
Aug 4th, 2003, 10:21 AM

Kira,

So glad you found this posting place. Aren't the people here great? So knowledgeable and helpful! Debbie is a PRO for sure! You may want to post requests for places to stay in specific towns you are staying in on a seperate thread to get more hits about B&Bs, restaurants, etc. Also, be sure to do a search with "Ireland" highlighted and your town of choice in the "search" box. I know there are loads of places listed that are on your itinerary.

Your updated schedule is much better and more doable although as some have pointed out there is still lots of driving. Waterford is a nice place but the town itself has very little in it other than the factory and it's castle. I've not done the tour, as you know, but will probably give it a try one of these days. I stayed in Waterford last April in a hotel I would only recommend if your alternative is sleeping outside in the rain. I honestly do not feel it is worth such a drive just to tour and then move on. Cork, too, is just a busy city and not worth your time on such a short trip.

Kilkenny Design Center is really just about a dozen shops but, while I do enjoy going and visiting it, the main attraction is still and will be the Castle. There are more shops in the summer (read: tourist) months when local artists will rent out a store and display their stuff. But there are also several jewelers, potterers and the front main stores that sell local and Irish handmade crafts. You can "do" the entire place in an hour or so -- more if you stop there to eat.

http://www.kilkennydesigncenter.com/ for an idea of what you'll find there.

You can find a bunch of the same stuff in the Kilkenny Center in Dublin (no actual relation to the Design Center in Kilkenny weirdly enough) just off Grafton Street. More famous stuff (you could say) is here; pottery collections and designer clothes (Irish, of course) as well Newbridge Silver and Donegal tweed. Look for the big white or yellow 'K' on a marron/wine background. There's also such a shop in Kilkenny & Galway.

If you don't get any hits on places to eat you can always ask your B&B hosts when you arrive. Often they know the perfect place and many have even called and made us reservations if the occation required it. The local people are the best source for finding out what and where for you so don't be too shy to ask!

I'm glad you are finding the help you need and from such a wide range of people. Keep the thoughts flowing here as it seems to be helping several people!

Safe travels,

Wendy
[email protected]
Aug 4th, 2003, 11:34 AM

In Dublin, skip book of kells and go to national museum instead. It is a great building with wonderful exhibits, back to Ireland's prehistory, the guided tour given by the museum is worth it. At the book of kells you will wait in a long and claustrophobic line to see not much.

Also, I would recommend staying in Kinsale, lovely town, good town walking tour given, pleasant B&B's and some of Ireland's best restaurants.
Aug 4th, 2003, 02:31 PM

Waffle 18 WENDY,
Thanks for the Kilkenny Design Center info.....it;s great to have all this support while planning a trip!!
Aug 4th, 2003, 02:49 PM

I have read through these posts rather hurriedly, so if someone has already addressed the point I'm about to make please excuse the repetition.

When planning your driving times, etc. please be aware that it gets twilight and then dark earlier in Ireland than it does here in the States. While early Sept. shouldn't be too bad, it still will not be what you can count on at home.

I mention this so you won't find yourself on a narrow and winding road, not necessarily well sign-posted, nighttime coming on an hour or two sooner than you had expected...can be hard to find some of those B&B's on unfamiliar roads in the dark.

Have a great time, and pls. post a trip report when you return!
Aug 4th, 2003, 05:02 PM
gbs

Itsmlf: re: your B&B rec in Ennis - I am looking for one there in September for 3 nights - is your friend's in the town itself, or on the outskirts? How far to walk to town? e-mail? thanks
Aug 7th, 2003, 11:21 PM

I don't know about Kilmoon House, but I enjoyed my stay at Rose Cottage Guesthouse in Ennis. Nice place, good breakfast, easy 5 minute walk to the main street. (We didn't even have a car.) www.clare-rosecottage.com
Aug 9th, 2003, 03:35 AM

Debbie and Wendy, you guys ROCK!! You give such detailed and straight-forth information. I can't tell you how much your posts are helping me to plan my trip. The Kilkenny info is very useful as I wasn't sure how long to allow there. I was going to give a whole day, but it doesn't sound necessary.

Just wanted to say, THANKS!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO